• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Newbie at Wireless, need help

Sorry, must have missed this thread earlier. :)

The ADSL modem/router should be fine, but the PCMCIA wouldn't be of much use unless you have a laptop (although you're getting it free apparently, so it doesn't matter).
In addition to the router, you're going to need a wireless PCI card for the desktop PC. Connecting that to the wireless router should be less than a minute's job. I haven't ever owned a PS2 or an XBox, so I don't know how they would connect wirelessly, but I'm sure someone else here should be able to offer their tips on that one.

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
there's an alternative to the PCI card - one I use myself for my stepdaughter ageing machines - this is a dongle for the USB connection. Has to be USB2. They retail around the same as the PCI cards, maybe a little more but they are easier to keep and transfer between machines and they can sometimes be bought bundled with a WAP (how I got my pair) which drops the price.

BTW you should also find configuring a breeze is you run SP2.

Post back when you get nearer top commiting on purchase and/or setting it all up - also consider ranges and layouts and required cabling beforehand (although a 25m CAT5 will keep ALL you options open for where you site the broadcasting antenna!).

Eiji

OSNN Addict
Last edited:
Use the first USB adapter posted. The second one uses proprietary (i.e. non-standard technology to boost speed and there is no advantage with the 614 router.)

Netgear is ok quality, features and good prices. I have the WGR614. Range does not seem to be as good as people claim for other brands but I have a crappy PCI card in my only wireless computer so I can't be sure if it's the router or the card.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix