newb using windows 2000 server

D

DeepBlade

hi, i've never taken ANY networking classes or that MSCE thing... and i'm just in high school, trying to build a w2k server for comp enginering teacher, and we both know jack about domains.... we just know that there's no 10 user limit like winxp, so he said that's wat we must do.... build a win2k server

and he wants to do a domain.. soo... we've got like... 20+ comps, and he wants to put them all under the domain... the problem is, he doesn't want me typing in COMP-01, COMP-02 etc etc manually, and he INSISTS on me finding a way to do it the quick and easy way. Can somenone possibly WALK ME THROUGH and tell me EXACTLY how to do that? do i need a program for that..?

i did some reading on it, and i read something about a csv file or something....? but i'm still very lost... so... someone help?

and am i supposed to add domain user? or domain comp? when i add them?? someone plz help

I thought some of the point with a domain was the manual adding of computers and users. Not secure if it's done automatically, right?

.....so.... imagine microsoft... they build their server, and so they hafta manually type in at least 200+ comps in their building 1 by 1, and the only dif between them is probably a number? or all comps have to submit their computer names through e-mail or something, to the administrator, and he's gota manually type them in 1 by 1, or they're so rich they higher some ppl who like to type fast to type them all in?

my comp eng teacher isn't even willing to do 20, or let ME to do the 20, so does anyone really have an answer to this?

or should i try different places?

my comp eng teacher isn't even willing to do 20, or let ME to do the 20, so does anyone really have an answer to this?

or should i try different places?

I am a w2k domain admin. You can automatically add computer accounts to the domain, however, you must still go to each computer and add it to the domain, this is for security reasons.

You can automatically import user accounts.

have a look at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237677

hopes this helps.

Originally posted by The_Schwarz
You can automatically add computer accounts to the domain, however, you must still go to each computer and add it to the domain, this is for security reasons.

You can automatically import user accounts.

you can script some of it but as he said you must still go to each computer and add it to the domain, this is for security reasons. and have permissions to do so.

i see........
ok, i got the scripting part, where i added
COMP-01 to COMP-50
hope that's enough for my comp eng teacher fer now......
(thx Schwarz, i can't login to icq at school so i'll ask here and hopefully u'll see this)

but he's asking for more now.....
he wants... the domain server to be hosting directories/folders for each login (client)

like... he wants, when the COMP-17 logs into the domain, the user (on comp 17) will have acess to a directory on the domain server HD all to itself
that it can possibly be mapped? like a certain letter drive

how do i do that?

theres books everywhere on it, time to read alittle. its all not very hard. even search the MS knowledgebase or web

you can map a drive to the computer no matter who logs on or to user no matter where he logs on.......either or both
map it to ..server\directory\%computername% or server\directory\%username% whatever the currrent variable data is it will go there - then you can put permissions on the folder to only allow that computer or user to get in
;)

Originally posted by DeepBlade
hi, i've never taken ANY networking classes or that MSCE thing... and i'm just in high school, trying to build a w2k server for comp enginering teacher, and we both know jack about domains.... we just know that there's no 10 user limit like winxp, so he said that's wat we must do.... build a win2k server

and he wants to do a domain.. soo... we've got like... 20+ comps, and he wants to put them all under the domain... the problem is, he doesn't want me typing in COMP-01, COMP-02 etc etc manually, and he INSISTS on me finding a way to do it the quick and easy way. Can somenone possibly WALK ME THROUGH and tell me EXACTLY how to do that? do i need a program for that..?

i did some reading on it, and i read something about a csv file or something....? but i'm still very lost... so... someone help?

and am i supposed to add domain user? or domain comp? when i add them?? someone plz help

what OS does the client machines have?
You will have to add user accounts, and then join the clients to domain, then any user can log on to the domain on any pc thats a member of the domain. pm me if you want more help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back