New York Times editorial on Saddam

Why didn't CNN pull everyone from Iraq, and then tell the truth? How many lives would that have saved? Thousands? Doing so may have cost the lives of some insiders, but saved multiples more. What I don't undestand is that they were there to report the news, but the most important news was kept a secret. :(

Originally posted by muzikool
Why didn't CNN pull everyone from Iraq, and then tell the truth? How many lives would that have saved? Thousands? Doing so may have cost the lives of some insiders, but saved multiples more. What I don't undestand is that they were there to report the news, but the most important news was kept a secret. :(

I think that you've "veered" in to something there muzikool.Probably could have saved thousands of lives.Not to mention the thousands more that were "merely" brutily tortured!

You know that if CNN knew...the gov't knew.I wonder who was president in the mid-90's? :rolleyes:

Why didn't CNN pull everyone from Iraq, and then tell the truth? How many lives would that have saved? Thousands? Doing so may have cost the lives of some insiders, but saved multiples more. What I don't undestand is that they were there to report the news, but the most important news was kept a secret.

"Hind site is 20/20"

Maybe they didn't know it would turn into that.

the west installed saddam to power... any atrocities committed.. some of the responsibility needs to be taken by the west... especially the usa...

to state that saddam is solely responsible is a bit short-sighted... there are many things that have led up to this...

btw... his treatment of the kurds == our treatment of the taliban/al qaeda troops in afghanistan... if you really think about it...

too much info is put out in the media without a counterbalance and this is unfortunate...

I want my kids to grow up knowing everything... not just a filtered version of the 'truth'...

don't discount the effects of the west on matters in the world today...

btw... the news report editorial... :)

a lot of it is the news from one person... his claims and his claims of what he heard someone said that his colleague experienced...

I dunno if cnn would really go through with some of that stuff...

what uday/kusay (sp?) and saddam are responsible for is quite obvious... but they get blamed for EVERYTHING... even what happens to people who they may never have even come 100 miles within... but because they are abducted... or killed... hence saddam is responsible...

heck... even hitler was not the man who was in charge of the holocaust... it was his henchmen who thought up... endorsed and carried out the holocaust... hitler happened to go along with it... but this again is not the version we get in the media... he was responsible.. yes... he had the moral obligation as a human being not to allow it... but there are also others in the regime... just like in saddam's who are as guilty @ least... if not more so for actually propagating the homicides...

Originally posted by Sazar

I want my kids to grow up knowing everything... not just a filtered version of the 'truth'...

Any idea how you could acheive this? I'm only asking coz I've kids and I share your desire, but is it achievable?

Even if one subscribed to a wide spread of news channels western & foreign all of them are biased - does this bias cancel itself out leaving only the truth?

For example on first glance the placing of the US flag on the statue of Saddam in Baghdad seemed a poor choice.

I later hear that the Marine responsible was encouraged to do this by the crowd below...

... predictablely the Arabic coverage of this moment showed only the US flag and not the quick replacement of it by the Iraqi flag.

However I only know any of the above because it was reported thus to me by BBC News 24. Did the BBC show selected Arabic news coverage designed to put their broadcasts in a bad light?

Maybe if we subscribed to all these news channels but turned the sound off the pictures alone would tell us as near to the truth as we're ever likely to get?

Mubbers

Originally posted by Mubbers
Any idea how you could acheive this? I'm only asking coz I've kids and I share your desire, but is it achievable?

Even if one subscribed to a wide spread of news channels western & foreign all of them are biased - does this bias cancel itself out leaving only the truth?

For example on first glance the placing of the US flag on the statue of Saddam in Baghdad seemed a poor choice.

I later hear that the Marine responsible was encouraged to do this by the crowd below...

... predictablely the Arabic coverage of this moment showed only the US flag and not the quick replacement of it by the Iraqi flag.

However I only know any of the above because it was reported thus to me by BBC News 24. Did the BBC show selected Arabic news coverage designed to put their broadcasts in a bad light?

Maybe if we subscribed to all these news channels but turned the sound off the pictures alone would tell us as near to the truth as we're ever likely to get?

Mubbers

if the lad was encouraged by the crowd.. teh same crowd would not have become uneasy by its placement... don;t you think ?

ergo the lad made an honest mistake in understanding the sentiment of the crowd...

and the arabic media will show what they feel.. it is their perogative...

concerning my kids... when I have em (if?) :) I will encourage them to read as many sources as possible... I don't want them to be limited by my religious views (or lack thereof)... I will encourage them to be pacifists like me :)

but the choice ultimately is theirs... I can only guide...

Originally posted by Sazar
if the lad was encouraged by the crowd.. teh same crowd would not have become uneasy by its placement... don;t you think ?

ergo the lad made an honest mistake in understanding the sentiment of the crowd...

I expect we saw identical coverage of the fall (in stages) of that statue - I was lucky enough to see the whole thing live. I couldn't tell whether or not the crowd was uneasy at the placement of the flag. To me they looked pretty happy through the whole event.

The only people who were uneasy where the reporter (Rageh Omaar - BBC) who was there and the people in the studio who made much of the scene.

But this is the point I believe we're both trying to make - biased coverage.

Also I think it more likely the Marine judged the crowd correctly - he was in it. Everbody else: you, me and the "experts" in the studios were several thousand miles away at the time.

Mubbers

Anyone know why the BBC are being told off about their war coverage?
It was mentioned on the radio earlier but I missed it :huh:

That's news to me too Marge.

I can't think why they are being criticised - they seemed as good/bad as the others I saw.

I'm keen to hear more too.

Mubbers

Originally posted by Mubbers
I expect we saw identical coverage of the fall (in stages) of that statue - I was lucky enough to see the whole thing live. I couldn't tell whether or not the crowd was uneasy at the placement of the flag. To me they looked pretty happy through the whole event.

The only people who were uneasy where the reporter (Rageh Omaar - BBC) who was there and the people in the studio who made much of the scene.

But this is the point I believe we're both trying to make - biased coverage.

Also I think it more likely the Marine judged the crowd correctly - he was in it. Everbody else: you, me and the "experts" in the studios were several thousand miles away at the time.

Mubbers

I watched the whole thing.. starting from even before most media stations started covering it... wacthing the university of baghdad fire fight and the statue @ the same time... watching the people climbing and the crowd gatehring...

I watched it all.. and there were cheers for the statue being brought down.. and the rope being brought around his neck/waist... but also the people were a little off about the flag being placed... and it is not just from bbc that I got this... :)

btw.. bbc got flak from some brit soldiers coz they felt they were showing too much bias towards iraq's regime and not enough to suport the troops who were there...

again.. this was a snippet I heard on the news.. and have not read about it... so either it was the opinion of the radio commentator.. or this happened... but I have not read coverage of this...

Yes at one point I felt the enitre coverage - including that from the studio should have been covered by the proviso:

"our movements are restricted and our words monitored by the Iraqi authorities"

but I thought this was pretty much par for the course for all the broadcasting.

Well I just watched BBC/ITV the negative comments from the studio re. US flag didn't seem to match the pictures and in lieu of the biased coverage we have just been discussing I just ignored it - counter productive to the message then?

To sum up it seems to me then that if they don't want things like this to happen then they A) Shouldn't allow US soldiers to carry the American flag :eek: or, B) Have a political officer in every unit to advise on correct conduct! :eek: :eek:

Mubbers

Note:

Before Toppling Statue only angry Arabs in Jordan could be found for interview. After Toppling Statue only ecstatic Iraqi exiles could be found at the same location.

In a word - NONSENSE.

This is the flap about the BBC:

Ananova:
'Angry' Ark Royal crew switch off BBC

The BBC has been axed from the nation's flagship naval vessel following claims of pro-Iraqi bias.

A remembrance ceremony is held on board the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal /AP

The Navy says it has switched off News 24 aboard HMS Ark Royal after complaints by the crew.

It is one of a handful of task force ships which receives live TV direct from Britain.

Rolling news plus two entertainment channels are beamed into the warship.

A BBC correspondent has been on board but the crew say they have no gripe with his reports.

However they were annoyed by the comments of presenters and commentators reporting on the carrier's Sea King tragedy a fortnight ago.

The BBC suggested poor levels of maintenance played a hand in the deaths of seven fliers.

Sailors also believe the news organisation places more faith in Iraqi reports than information coming from British or Allied sources.

One senior rating said: "The BBC always takes the Iraqis' side. It reports what they say as gospel but when it comes to us it questions and doubts everything the British and Americans are reporting. A lot of people on board are very unhappy."

Ark has replaced the BBC with rival broadcaster Sky News.

The link: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_768569.html?menu=news.wariniraq

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back