New Wireless Router suggestions?

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Just now I realize how long I've been out of the wireless network game. I haven't paid attention to pricing, models, or even new brands for the past few years. I currently have an old RangeMax router (G) and I was wondering if anybody has advice on a new router to get?

I had a price of max 50something dollars (not list, on ebay or Amazon) but if there is an absolutely amazing one for a little more I'm sure I could spring for it. I have to wonder how necessary Dual Band is. I currently only have an XBOX that's connected via Wireless N and a Netbook, other than that I'm hardwired or G. My issue is that my current RangeMax wireless seems to keep cutting out not really the speed.

So... Any suggestions?
I guess I'm not in a hurry though I usually get fed up with looking and just buy one so I guess not too long :D I just spend a good hour looking at reviews online and wasn't really impressed with anything, especially since not a single model seemed to get great reviews from either the Editor of Cnet or the Customers.

Thanks!

netgear 3000 is pretty good :)

Or grab an old PC, 2 network cards, a wireless card and download PFSense and build your own carrier grade router :)

lol cuz I need a carrier grade router :D

What kind of netgear? I looked for 3000 and couldn't find anything, did you just mean the 3000 series?

Does Dual Band N matter? Because I think there was a Netgear 3000 series that was in my price range but said it wasnt really dual band, like it was either or. Cnet said there was a D-Link (Which i never liked) maybe the 655 that was the best single band Wireless N out there.

those buffalo's with ddwrt might :)

Netgears only advantage is a pretty advanced ui to start with - if the manufacturer sticks tomato/dd-wrt on from the get go - better still :)

Netgears only advantage is a pretty advanced ui to start with - if the manufacturer sticks tomato/dd-wrt on from the get go - better still :)
Cool,
Well I bought this one for the price alone:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Gigabit-Router-WNDR4000/dp/B004PA2B6C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: NETGEAR N750 450 Mbps Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4000: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31F56Rk1oKL.@@AMEPARAM@@31F56Rk1oKL[/ame]
I was about to pick me up a netgear 3000 series of some sort but saw this one. We'll see if I actually get that price or if it was a typo. Its like a hundred bucks cheaper than anywhere else I've seen...

The WNDR4000 is comparable to Cisco's Linksys E4200 as the hardware is almost identical.

Good choice!

Last edited:
The WNDR4000 is comparable to Cisco's Linksys E4200 as the hardware is almost identical.

Good choice!
Well, I'm gonna have to get another 1. They cancelled the order as I expected.
Kinda BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dual band is pretty useless for most people as most people don't even have any devices that use the 5ghz band or don't bother to activate it if they do have it. If you don't know that you HAVE to have 5ghz, you don't need it.

Lord, have you built one of those boxes? I've been thinking about it because it seems that I have a tendency to go through N routers every 9-12 months.

Dual band is pretty useless for most people as most people don't even have any devices that use the 5ghz band or don't bother to activate it if they do have it. If you don't know that you HAVE to have 5ghz, you don't need it.

Lord, have you built one of those boxes? I've been thinking about it because it seems that I have a tendency to go through N routers every 9-12 months.
Hmm,
Well then I dont know what I should get... Because you are right, I'm sure I dont use 5ghz but i was thinking about preparing for the future?

I think I may get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704038&Tpk=TP-Link 1043ND

Last edited:

I did. Though that box happens now to be in my Dad's attic I do have an old P3 laying around (without a case) that I intend to throw together again and convert in to a PFsense box again. All it needs is an additional network card and a PCI wireless card to allow the iPhone to join in on the party. Or even just use the wifi router I have as just a wireless access point.

That new design for buffalo looks shweet!

BFL-WZR-HP-G300NH_Angle.jpg

I did. Though that box happens now to be in my Dad's attic I do have an old P3 laying around (without a case) that I intend to throw together again and convert in to a PFsense box again. All it needs is an additional network card and a PCI wireless card to allow the iPhone to join in on the party. Or even just use the wifi router I have as just a wireless access point.

I was thinking about doing it with an old AMD 2600 Barton that I have lying around. I'm just worried that many wireless cards aren't really 300 on the transmit but really 150 (or less).

anything > 100 should be fine for streaming 1080p content. If you want fast transfers of data just plug a cable in somewhere.

I tend to move a lot of files around... unfortunately in my apartment (flat), I can't run a cable to the bedrooms :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back