new video card!

GhoulScout

OSNN Addict
I just got my hands on a evga 7950 gx2! I can't wait till it comes in. If anyone has any ideas as to what game I should get to truly test the power of it let me know. I have a 7600gt I'll be selling if anyone is interested.

nice... how much $ was it?

'bout the games:

mm.... well rainbow six vegas has the unreal engine 3... it should push it more than any other game available

one game that seems to stress my card a lot is age of empires 3... try it at high res with everything maxed

oh... and try fear with high detail and soft shadows... changes the complete experience

Last edited:
300$? damn... i would've waited a little and gone for something in the g80 line...

that's what i was gonna say. they're releasing a version of the 8800GTS with 320MB of memory instead of 640MB for around $299 i believe....

The 7950GX2 is a faster card than the stripped down new 8800 series cards coming out. It matches or beats the 8800gts which is at $370 right now.
The only difference is the native DX10 hardware in the 8800 cards.

Try BF 2142 at max to stress the card. I doubt if it will though.

They're all just jealous of you. I know I am. :(

actually.... i just ordered a new video card too. 8800GTX. :) should be here Friday at the latest, if not tomorrow. love Newegg and their thoughfullness of having a warehouse in Jersey.

and probably the main point we were trying to make about him waiting for an 8 Series card.... is DX10 support. yeah, the 7950GX2 may outperform the 8800GTS that has 320MB of memory..... but the 7950GX2 might possibly crawl in DX10 gaming if it'd even work in DX10 games.

Plus.... as everybody knows..... drivers for the 8-series cards aren't that great right now.... often making games not run quite right. but they're getting better.

actually.... i just ordered a new video card too. 8800GTX. :) should be here Friday at the latest, if not tomorrow. love Newegg and their thoughfullness of having a warehouse in Jersey.

and probably the main point we were trying to make about him waiting for an 8 Series card.... is DX10 support. yeah, the 7950GX2 may outperform the 8800GTS that has 320MB of memory..... but the 7950GX2 might possibly crawl in DX10 gaming if it'd even work in DX10 games.

Plus.... as everybody knows..... drivers for the 8-series cards aren't that great right now.... often making games not run quite right. but they're getting better.
Yeah try fear.
I know COD2 looks great on my computer with the plain old 7900gt ko superclocked :(

Maybe also that little demo for hl2, lost coast.

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I was debating on whether or not to get it, mainly because of the substantial increase in pipelines compared to even the 7950 GX2. In the end I figured the 7950 was a great deal so I figured I would go for it. Anyone have any ideas on the PC power and cooling power supplies?

excellent quality.... but you could more than likely get just as good a quality on a cheaper power supply like a nice Antec or Ultra X2-Connect or something of the sort.

I am not a fan of the Ultra brand. They've had a very shaky past and it just leaves a bad taste. I do like the OCZ PowerStream/GamerXtreme/ whatever the name is now. Those have been high quality for a while. As far as PC-PSU, they are probably THE best power supplies you can get on the market.

well.... Ultra does seem to be getting a lot more popular with it's modular PSU's. i haven't had a single one cause a problem, and i'm on my 3rd one.

I have to ask this...

If they are so great why are you on your third one?

If you are building new systems and not using the same supply for a couple years that's not much history to base a recommendation on.

The cheap POS ECS MB's I use are great for the first year and then I/O functions (LAN, Sound, Ports, etc) start dieing on me.

well.... that's quite easy. my first Ultra PSU was the original X-Connect (Ultra PSU #1). moved to a socket 939 motherboard with a 24-pin power cable.... couldn't use the original X-Connect, so purchased an X2-Connect (Ultra PSU #2). Then, built a computer for my brother and his girlfriend, and i kinda wanted a new case, so i ordered my current Ultra Aluminus case, and gave them my old MGE Quantum. Me being as lazy as i am, i didn't feel like taking the X2-Connect outta the Quantum, and since i ordered an X2-Connect for their computer too, i just left Ultra PSU #2 in the Quantum case, and put the X2-Connect i ordered for their computer into my new case (Ultra PSU #3). all three of them are still working perfectly fine.

The 7950GX2 is a faster card than the stripped down new 8800 series cards coming out. It matches or beats the 8800gts which is at $370 right now.
The only difference is the native DX10 hardware in the 8800 cards.

Try BF 2142 at max to stress the card. I doubt if it will though.

They're all just jealous of you. I know I am. :(

Sorry but the 7950GX2 does not match the 8800GTS its not even close

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=608&model2=517&chart=223
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=608&model2=517&chart=215

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=608&model2=517&chart=211 there is over 50fps difference here the GTS is 2 x the 7950gx2 here

Last edited:
ouch, those results are a little depressing... is it the significant increase in pipelines that causes such an increase in fps? i figured with the higher amount of ram it may compete. also from the pc power cooling website they show those power supply myths, do any of these hold true?

well.... it's not pipelines, it's shader processors. they can be assigned to perform different tasks, such as pixel, vertex, and geometry shading. hence why the 8800 series has been deemed a CPU on a graphics card. it's programmable like a CPU, and performs quite the same as one too.

and yeah.... if a GTX can come out on top of a Quad-SLI setup..... and the GTS i believe has a little over half the shader processors of the GTX.... then even just on shear logic the GTS would beat a single 7950GX2.

i don't regret my GTX purchase in the least.

well.... it's not pipelines, it's shader processors. they can be assigned to perform different tasks, such as pixel, vertex, and geometry shading. hence why the 8800 series has been deemed a CPU on a graphics card. it's programmable like a CPU, and performs quite the same as one too.

and yeah.... if a GTX can come out on top of a Quad-SLI setup..... and the GTS i believe has a little over half the shader processors of the GTX.... then even just on shear logic the GTS would beat a single 7950GX2.

i don't regret my GTX purchase in the least.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/980/2

The differences can be seen there and make no mistakes a single 8800GTS beats 2 x 7950GX2 in SLI ..sorry to rain on your parade like I said congrats you got a good card just that I felt that what Lee was saying needed to be addressed because he was way off the mark .

Shamus: uuh.... those benchmarks only show with ONE GX2. no Quad-SLI is mentioned. i'd be pretty freakin pissed if i got a quad SLI setup and it only hit 8k in 3DMark06.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back