new vid card

GhoulScout

OSNN Addict
i'm planning on upgrading my vid card as i am running one that would now be considered a dinosaur. i'm on a low budget and do not play many games. i was looking at this card

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1179550&sku=P450-8536

and was wondering your input on this. also on the card i like the fact that it has dvi included as i'm hoping to get an lcd monitor in the near future with that.

my specs: 1.6ghz p4, 512 pc2700 ddr ram, 64mb mx440 vid card, hercules fortissimo 7.1.

thanks for any input.

To be honest, if the card is working and you don't play games, why waste the money on a new card?!

lancer said:
To be honest, if the card is working and you don't play games, why waste the money on a new card?!

Good point Lancer...

How about an even more to the point question:

WHat kind of applications do you use that make you THINK you need a new video card??

THanks,

Mike A!

LordOfLA said:
I dont see anything wrong with your current card if gaming is not your primarry focus.

Damn, you mentioned it too Lord, sheesh, I dont know how I missed it...

I didnt even read the posts, guess I need more coffee guys...

:(

Mike A!

:), oh another point if you don't play games why waste the money, suprised no one else mentioned this! :)

no real reason for buying a new card other than the fact that it's new. i'm still young so i get bored of things relatively fast lol. my current video card really does outperform that card? also the games i do play are ones such as AVP2 and Vice City and soon hopefully San Andreas which i hear requires a pretty decent videocard.

I'd have a hard time beliving an mx440 outperforms anything currently on the market. I have one and it sucks, I can't play anything released in the past 4 years.

I said the mx440 outperforms the 5200 :) not that it would play current games.

He said he was on a low budget and I kept within $10 of his chosen suggestion.

I could list plenty of deent cards tio play current games but all would be over $150 :)

yah new games need a card that would cost around 150. you could try with a 9800 pro but even that card is getting old.

best value card right now and nearly the best card as well is an x800xl. Now the agp version is about the fourth fastest card you can get in agp.

The pci-e is about the 10th, don't ask me why this is so, but according to multiple test data this is about where the card is in the two respective ports.

I have a 9600XT to sell. AGP 128MB. Made by ATI.

I'll take $50 for it, plus UPS shipping anywhere in the lower 48. I have GTA:VC and you can play with high res settings.

I upgraded to a 9800PRO then OC'd and flashed the BIOS on that.

thanks for the help guys. i've decided to just wait and build a brand new system as my current motherboard only supports agp 8x. i'll probably end up going the athlon 64 route even though i love intel more, and get it with pci express

GhoulScout said:
thanks for the help guys. i've decided to just wait and build a brand new system as my current motherboard only supports agp 8x. i'll probably end up going the athlon 64 route even though i love intel more, and get it with pci express

and?

the performance you get from SLI is really lost unless you play nothing but FPS games where many extra frames per sec are needed...

save your money... decide what kind of games you play, and base your decision on reviews and the like....

PCI-E can almost double the cost of a high performance system... its your money, but choose carefully...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back