New vid card time.

Anakist

Way too much time here...
I have been leaning towards nVidiot, because of Omega drivers and past experience (440mx is the most reliable POS in this damn boxen, although that prolly is my fault), but then I found Omega's site and have heard that the radeons are thumping the fx and ti cards all over the place.

Now to the point: I am looking for a new vid card.

I have been thinking of a fx5200, read good reviews in a comp mag I have. Best bang for buck at whatever time it was written. Now however I have been recommended the 9800 series (funnily enough), the 9700 series (if I can find one) and the 9600pro. I am seriously considering the 9600pro (or a 9500pro if I can get one).

What is the best budget card atm?? I won't get into prices because I am in .au and not too many of you are. I want dx9 features, but only in a benchmark kind of way. My mx440 can only do three of the 01se tests and ont od the 03 tests. I mainly play Total Annihilation, BF1942, Castle Wolfenstein, Deus Ex, Q3A and Half Life. I might play Doom 4 when it comes out, and HL2, but I have a mx440se and I am playing BF1942 so I will be blown away by anything new, let alone a 9800XT or whatever.

Thanks for your help!!

James

when doom 4 comes out i think ogl 2.0 should be in the works :D

anyways... for next gen games the 9600pro is a good card.. the 9800 series is good as well (cept the 9800SE )

newegg does still carry some 9700 series cards afaik...

Thanks Sazar, I knew I could count on you.

Looks like I am getting a 9600. Is a 9200 worth it if I can get it cheap?? What is that equiv. to???

James

Originally posted by Anakist
Thanks Sazar, I knew I could count on you.

Looks like I am getting a 9600. Is a 9200 worth it if I can get it cheap?? What is that equiv. to???

James

the 9200 is like an 9000 basically... same gen of cards... derived from the 8500 lineup... not dx9...

I recommend getting a 9600 PRO or an XT version of the same... the PRO's retail for around $150 online...

Can't go wrong with the 9600, great card. I own a 9700pro, also an awesome card.

If you can find one, I would actually recommend the 9700pro over the 9600XT, but as I stated, can't really go wrong with either card.

Yeah I want a 9700pro, but the ones I can find are out of my budget. 9600pro it is.

James

I'm in Australia too. If you're in Melbourne Golden Age computers has the best prices and service by far - at least $5 cheaper than everyone else in Green Guide and comtrader with a little bit of haggling. Recommend the 9600 Pro but if you're looking for a bargain I can negotiate a price for you on my FX 5600 if interested :)

Do they have websites? I am in Rockhampton in Qld. On the tropic of Capricorn. Pluscorp will match prices so if I can find a really good price I will buy it for the good price from them.

James

Which video card are you getting. From my knowledge Melbourne has cheapest prices of all the States due to massive competition. Plus I may be able to beat any quoted price with my FX being second hand.
Here's GoldenAge website:
http://www.goldenage.com.au/aboutus.htm
They're wholesalers who only recently opened up to the public and used to sell though word of mouth until now. Prices can't be beat. Very close to my Uni :)

I would recommend the 9600pro's over the 5600 series of cards...

Yeah I am going to ATI. There is so much anti-NVidia-pro-ATI atm. It has piqued my interest.

James

Yeah I am going to ATI. There is so much anti-NVidia-pro-ATI atm. It has piqued my interest.

James

thats not so much the case...

the 5600 series does not match up to the 9600 series.. its that simple...

if you want to compare you have to go to the 5700 series... the 5700 ultra can give better performance in some areas... the 9600pro in others...

Originally posted by Sazar
thats not so much the case...

the 5600 series does not match up to the 9600 series.. its that simple...

if you want to compare you have to go to the 5700 series... the 5700 ultra can give better performance in some areas... the 9600pro in others...

Seconded. Then again, the price of the 5700 -vs- 9600pro is a key factor. ATi really didn't have competition until the 5700. Maybe he should wait until the "next big thing" comes out, that way the prices will drop and he can get a significantly more powerful card. What do you think?

Agreed. Only buy 5600 because dirt cheap else 9600Pro or performance else wait for price drop.

I won't be getting it anytime soon I don't think. Contract at work just expired. DAMN!!!!

Broke again.

James

I won't be getting it anytime soon I don't think. Contract at work just expired. DAMN!!!!

Broke again.

James

sorry to hear that m8...

hope something better turns up :)

Thanks Sazar.

What is the 9500 like? I read somewhere that it is eight pipelines and the 9600 is four. What does that mean during general use??

James

there is now little diference due to higher clock speeds on the 9600pro's :)

the 8x1 architecture is better in some situations but the clock speeds compensate reasonably well...

in general use I still prefer the 9500pro series but the 9600pro has close enough performance @ a cheaper price and does not require an additional power source...

i think this question really should go by your buget, and what your lookin to do. if you have no buget, and can spend any ammount, by the new 9800tx or whatever they are, if your straped for cash, go with a 9600... or, get a 5900 or whatever the highest from nvidia is right now, or just get a ti4600... really depends one how much your willing to spend, and whos hardware you like most...
(please, no ati vs. nvidia battles!!!!)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back