New tv..

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Ok im looking for a new tv to get started in my room. Im looking at the Vizio 32 inch LCD and the Olivia 32 inch lcd. Im looking to spend less that 500 if i can before tax...please feel free to help me out with this!!

I prefer the Olevia. I'm not a fan of the Vizio brand. I own an Olevia 37" 537H and I like it. $660 shipped from newegg.

Hey I think Olivia 32 inch LCD is better , but if your budget is $500 ,that's not enough , as far as I know right now this TV is about $600 . Another way is that you get a refurbirished one at about $500 , I don't think that's a good idea . If you want to get a 32" LCD TV you can choose other brands also , here I got one in case you may like it :
Mag 32 inch Widescreen LCD HDTV :
32" color TFT active matrix widescreen
Resolution 1366 x 768
Contrast ratio 1600:1
Response time 8ms
Brightness 500 cd/m2
480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
It got pretty decent reviews :
http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/staples/r/4136/
There is a recent deal on it for $500 , the lowest price in pricegragger :
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=62348
I think it's specifications are quite good also , how do you like it then , anyway hope this helps .

so i never got that tv before, but now im looking at the 37 inch vizio or the 37 inch toshiba at costco...any ideas?

do you know the model numbers of both? this way you can compare between the options and quality. I hear good things from both.

Visiting AV forums could give you a better outlook on both :)

Last edited:
Neither.

Toshiba has glossy bezel which is a nuisance. No tech specs to be found, only 720P.
Vizio is only 500cd, 1000:1 contrast.

Before buying any LCD TV view it in a store and base your decision on that. Slow DSP, low contrast, weird colors saturation, poor blacks, etc. And find out about the built in speakers, many sets sound like crap.

I spent 3 months looking, bought the best I could find and still have been greatly disapppointed after viewing at home for a while. The sound is very good on mine and it has a flat finish bezel.

idk...those are my choices i like the fact i get a free two year warrenty from costco...between the two which is best?

For what it is worth: Vizio products are made in the USA. But, as mentioned, I would go with a higher contrast ratio.

The higher the contrast ratio the better the picture, especially during fast paced motion. A high contrast ratio coupled with a fast response time cuts down on blurring. However, the higher those numbers go the higher the price goes.

The higher the contrast ratio the better the picture, especially during fast paced motion. A high contrast ratio coupled with a fast response time cuts down on blurring. However, the higher those numbers go the higher the price goes.

the toshiba doesn't have a ratio...just says dynamic 4 mode..the toshiba site doesn't have specs on that

Before buying any LCD TV view it in a store and base your decision on that.

No, never base it on that. The way HDTVs are set up at stores is that thier contrast and a bunch of of other settings are turned way up. Remember that stores have a ton of lights in there and are quite bright. The TVs are not calibrated properly and then when you take the TV home it doesn't look the same. The picture could be all washed out images could look pale, all kinds of things. Yes go and look at them in a store but just to get an up close view. Best to go online and read as many reviews about the brand and model you are interested in first. Do the research before you go and see one in the flesh.

Now the big problem is that any HDTV that has an excellent contrast ratio is going to cost you any where from $800.00 on up, even at a 32" size. And even more fore a full 1080p HD.

Last edited:
Toshiba, in all of its wisdom, doesn't believe contrast ratio is an important feature.

ok so idk what im going to do, the damn tv at costco is different from the one online..i dont want to wait 4-6 weeks...

SO..i dont want to spend more than about 850 with tax, i dont need the best, just something bad ass enough to make me happy with good sound and quality....and i like 37 inch!!

Well you can check out bestbuy. They have some good stuff.

Now this page has flat panel TVs in the $500.00 to $750.00 range 32" to 39". Now many are not name brand and some are. They all are 720p or 760p. And many of them you can get at their "brick and mortar" store, or just get it online, it's really up to you how much you wish to spend and what you want as to 720/760p or the full 1080p. Now remember that no cable or dish service has full HD at 1080. Only if you are going to be watching a ton of HD DVDs or playing full HD games on a PS3 or Xbox 360.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...id&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime:>1900-01-01

Now this page/link is for same sizes but $750.00 to $1000.00.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...id&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime:>1900-01-01

So again, it's all up to you and what you are willing to spend and what you are willing to be without. Some can spend 6 grand for a 60+ or 72" monster with all the bells and whistles. But most of us have a fixed budget. So think it out and then and only then make your decision. Many of us here that are posting in this thread can afford a higher end HDTV. No, I am not one of them. I had to have some moron hit my car sozz to go out and get my LG Plasma (50 inches of luverlyness :D). No, it was not intentional.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back