New tv..

Well the Samsung has picture in picture but the LG has better response time and better contrast ratio. But the Samgung is larger than the LG. Also in the list of specs for the Samsung you have a few things that say info unavailable, strange, especially the one of the HDMI version. You have 1 more S-Video input on the Samsung but otherwise they are about the same. I had the same issues when I got my LG. I was down to a Samsung model and the LG. Now why is the Samsung cheaper? Could it be an older model they are try to get rid of? But it is not on sale, it's price is the normal price and the LG is on sale. Tough choice. Go to cnet dot com and look up reviews on each of these TVs then decide.

Well the Samsung has picture in picture but the LG has better response time and better contrast ratio. But the Samgung is larger than the LG. Also in the list of specs for the Samsung you have a few things that say info unavailable, strange, especially the one of the HDMI version. You have 1 more S-Video input on the Samsung but otherwise they are about the same. I had the same issues when I got my LG. I was down to a Samsung model and the LG. Now why is the Samsung cheaper? Could it be an older model they are try to get rid of? But it is not on sale, it's price is the normal price and the LG is on sale. Tough choice. Go to cnet dot com and look up reviews on each of these TVs then decide.

Thanks

Ill check out cnet, with the circuit city credit card, if i buy a samsung model thats more that 999, i get no interest till 2011, this will be paid off in a matter of months.

Im stuck at lcd or plasma?

i like this

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...06608/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Ooooo, now that is nice, and it's bigger still. :D Now granted it's not the full 1080p HD. But remember that no cable or dish company will be broadcasting in full HD for quite a while. And 720 still looks crispy. :)

I would imho, stick with LCD, plasma is on its way out.

I own a 56"DLP so I can't speak for only by reading what the experts say and by what my friends and family own.

Do some research. i myself will be upgrading soon to a LCD. but until then I am happy with my DLP.

http://hometheatermag.com/advicefromtheexperts/407plasmavlcd/

http://www.hometheatermag.com/buyersguides/flatpanels/

http://www.hometheatermag.com/lcds/

http://www.hometheatermag.com/plasmadisplays/

Is ur dlp a plasma? The only burn I'm concerned about would be the tv logos or in a game. There is a NBC with 1080p, though I wont use all that its still nice

A DLP TV is the new HD projection TVs. Plasma and LCD are flat panel TVs.

And there is no burn any more on these flat panel TVs, be it LCD or Plasma.

In your dreams. Look it up on the net and anywhere that does TV reviews and TV tech. Plasma is no where to being on it's way out. Show proof of that remark. And no none of your links state that. The only big difference with a Plasma and an LCD (besides the Plasmas go bigger. But that is starting to change as LCD technology is making them almost as big as the biggest Plasma), is that Plasma TVs consume more energy. And again about burn in That is pretty much an non issue with the newest of the new Plasmas. I researched a ton before I bought mine. But it boils down to preference, your pocket book (money), and how much real estate you have for that big TV. Oh and what you are going to be doing with it, gaming, DVDs/Blu Ray DVDs or just plain old TV viewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all this help!!!! Thanks gonaads!!!!!!!! Right now its the samsung plasma the jvc lcd or vizio LCD all are 42 inch

yea that samsung is sweet..like i had said before, i dont need the best, even if i get it, by Friday it will be old! Ill let you know what i get!!!

No, never base it on that. The way HDTVs are set up at stores is that thier contrast and a bunch of of other settings are turned way up. Remember that stores have a ton of lights in there and are quite bright. The TVs are not calibrated properly and then when you take the TV home it doesn't look the same. The picture could be all washed out images could look pale, all kinds of things.

Every store I went to the TVs were not optimised and they were usually set to programs that were poor choices to show off HD with. The one cheat that is common is darkening the over head to hide glare and poor contrast. Look at the surrounding lighting.

Walmart, SAMs, had normal lighting. Frye's, best buy and circuit city set up special areas with controlled lighting to make the TV's look better than they will at home so keep that in mind.

The most important thing to look for is how pixellated the image becomes during action or when viewing a non HD format show. This is an indicator of how good the digital signal processor is. I have never seen ratings on the DSP chisp used and they vary widely.

The other DSP item that is really annoying is check into how many options you have to adjust the picture format (4:3, 16:9, 14:9, Zoom, etc.). My set is missing a couple options that are needed and has extra I never use. Most stations (over hte air, sattellite and cable will go through 3-5 formats during one show between intor's, commercials, and the main event. Having the picture re-size automatically is really distracting and if the format control is not good then half the time it will end up badly distorted.

For the price you are pating the store should be willing to get the remote out and let you try the various options and see what the menu offers. Most likely they will look at you like you are nuts if you ask.

Contrast, brightness, etc are usually rated but there are multiple rating systems used so viewing is the best policy.

As for plasma and DLP, I side by side compared them with LCD and was not impressed. I did not see any major improvement in contrast ratio in the black areas. The images were not as bright and when I stood close to the plasma it felt like I was standing in front of a space heater. The DLP has issues with weird patterns forming in the picture. DLP (bulb life) and Plasma (gas leakage) are half the life or less of LCD and weight 2-3 times as much.

PS One of the major plasma panel makers has discontinued plasma panels because they were loosing their ass on them. Plasma has been getting sold below cost because it is dying. That is why they are now cheaper than LCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
failurbydesign, if I were you I would get this one: JVC 42" LCD HDTV
My reasons are simple... it is a nice LCD, although I am not a JVC fan... I would look at panasonic or phillips they have both had EXCELLENT offerings in the 1080P HDTVs... this TV is the only 1080P out of the bunch the rest were only 720... decent contrast ratio, and good price... just take time to shop around finding the right TV for the right price can sometimes take months...

If you are reffering to anything over 42" this is a falicy... you still get more bang for your buck in buying a plasma... however, I will RE-stress for anything over 42"...

We keep hearing that LCD production will triple by year... blah blah blah...

when it actually happens and the larger lcd matrixes are available plasma will be out.. also... plasma tv's have been improving both in quality and price...

The larger plasmas will still be around for quite a while I would venture to say 10 more years at least....
As for plasma and DLP, I side by side compared them with LCD and was not impressed. I did not see any major improvement in contrast ratio in the black areas. The images were not as bright and when I stood close to the plasma it felt like I was standing in front of a space heater. The DLP has issues with weird patterns forming in the picture. DLP (bulb life) and Plasma (gas leakage) are half the life or less of LCD and weight 2-3 times as much.

PS One of the major plasma panel makers has discontinued plasma panels because they were loosing their ass on them. Plasma has been getting sold below cost because it is dying. That is why they are now cheaper than LCD.

Im sorry LeeJend... I have to disagree here... most plasmas are now well over 40,000 hours for life expectancy, and while admitedly the hours for LCD are underestimated, they simply do NOT have as good White to Black differentiation as plasmas do, not to mention with a plasma unless the room has no ambient light it is good to use out of the box where this is NOT the case with most LCDs... as for the weight difference there is a HUGE one but I have yet to see where a plasma of the same size was double to triple the weight...

Personally I am waiting for LCDs to break the 60" arena for an affordable price (near plasmas prices), while keeping the stock of that particular screen widely available... I know they are out there, heck there is already a 65" last time I checked; but the average home theater afficiando would be much better off spending the money on a large plasma with a universal mount, and then upgrading to an LCD of the same size in a few years...

Don't get me wrong I like LCD's NEC's LCD5710-BK-AV is my favorite... I have installed two of them at work and they are BEAUTIFUL; however, look at the prices... another area I have to disagree, LCDs have to drop prices to keep themselves in the market with plasma not the other way around ESPECIALLY in the over 50" market...

V/R,

Mike A!

Last edited:
LCD has made huge strides in the past year, even when it comes to blacks. I, too, would go with a LCD panel, especially if it is a newer model.

LCD has made huge strides in the past year, even when it comes to blacks. I, too, would go with a LCD panel, especially if it is a newer model.

Yeah its just the prices that keep me away so far... :cry:

We paid over $13,000 for each 5710 last year... I am sure they have come down alot... but no where near my price range...

:dead:

Mike A!

Hey falurbydesign, read all in this link. It gives you the fact and myth of LCD and Plasma.

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/home/

Use the "Plasma and LCD Myths" link on the left to read some very informative stuff.

Also the "Facts about Flat Screen TV" link just above the "Myths" link.

Very good stuff. READ IT ALL. It will open your eyes and give you excellent knowledge.

Now it may look like it's biased toward Plasma but everything that is stated is true. I looked this stuff up when I bought my Plasma and I checked all the things that are listed there. It took me a month of research for me to finally decide what to buy. Yeah, and how much money I had to spend. :p

But this is so you know that either way you go, be it LCD or Plasma, your TV will last a really long long time with no worries.

Last edited:
Hey falurbydesign, read all in this link. It gives you the fact and myth of LCD and Plasma.

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/home/

Use the "Plasma and LCD Myths" link on the left to read some very informative stuff.

Also the "Facts about Flat Screen TV" link just above the "Myths" link.

Very good stuff. READ IT ALL. It will open your eyes and give you excellent knowledge.

Now it may look like it's biased toward Plasma but everything that is stated is true. I looked this stuff up when I bought my Plasma and I checked all the things that are listed there. It took me a month of research for me to finally decide what to buy. Yeah, and how much money I had to spend. :p

But this is so you know that either way you go, be it LCD or Plasma, your TV will last a really long long time with no worries.

I loved that link, so i got the samsung 42 plasma (looks amazing) and a tv stand thing with areas for my xbox and tivo!

How are those dvd upscalers?

Also thanks to everyone for you help..really learned a lot and i think i made the best choice!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back