New System: Starting Troubles (simple)

N

Not Bman

Alright, I just put together my new system. I start up the computer and everything seems to be good, all fans are moving, no beeps, and boot screen comes up. The only thing that is not working is input. My keyboard (PS2) does not seem to be doing anything, does not even have lights on it. Neither does the usb keyboard I tried plugging in....whats the deal? What did I not plug in?

And I started a new thread because I will post details and screenshots when im ready!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have legacy support enabled in bios?

And what board do you have? There is usually a diagnostic process the board goes through before it is ready for final boot.

Do you have legacy support enabled in bios?

And what board do you have? There is usually a diagnostic process the board goes through before it is ready for final boot.

I got it all sorted, with the help from Matt. I will post details later.

I am trying to overclock the system before I do any pictures or details. Though I don't have a clue how to. I am searching Google but all I can find are details of what people have accomplished.

I have the Nvidia nForce 780i SLI motherboard and the Q6600 2.4Ghz CPU.

Where should I start with overclocking the CPU?

I would probably ensure you are first of all, running stable and THEN start working towards an overclock.

What kind of PSU, memory and cooling do you have currently?

I am stable, stock settins right now.

I am running a 550PSU, 2GB Dual Channel 6400 RAM, and Air Cooling (stock heatsink)

I know for a fact, from 20 differnet reviews and people that this CPU can get to at least 3.2Ghz.

Get better cooling, and what kind of PSU is it? The make, 12v rail amperage and all the good stuff :D What kind of video card are you running?

If you are going to OC and kick up things like core voltage, you need to ensure you have something that is providing adequate juice to all parts. A 550W psu @ 80% efficiency == 440W, depending on if it is peak or not. I think you get where I am going with that.

Also, what revision is your CPU? It shouldn't affect your overclockability much but the G0 revisions are cooler running and more over-clockable.

And again, why do you want to overclock?

Wow, questions.

I don't believe I need better cooling, I heard this CPU can handle it with Stock Heatsink. Though I will probably pick something up eventually. The PSU is a type of Antec, not sure the details but it's not worth 2 much. I also don't know what revision the CPU is, how do I find that out? I just paid for it and picked it up yesturday...

What do I want to overclock? I think that's what I was asking, I just want to overclock it, get it up to 3.2Ghz at least.

i would definitely recommend a better heat sink that the stock if you are going to overclock at all. Antec generally makes decent power supplies - if you could provide a model number for someone else to lookup if you can't find the specs. Running something along the lines of CPUZ should be able to tell you the revision

Wow, questions.

Naturally.

If you wanted to race your car on a race-track, you don't just drive over and get on the track and go WHEEEE !!! You'll probably end up causing harm.

Same here.

I don't believe I need better cooling, I heard this CPU can handle it with Stock Heatsink. Though I will probably pick something up eventually.

You realize you have 4 cores and each core is going to be operating at different temps and the stock cooler is crap compared to after market solutions right? Further, the stock cooler is designed for slightly a thermal envelope that is a little above the stock clocks and the related temperatures. You plan to run 4 cores at 3.2GHz, if you don't want to drastically reduce the lifespan of your new processor, I would highly recommend adequate cooling.

Just because some narbs online have been able to run a processor at a certain speed using certain components doesn't mean it is recommended.

The PSU is a type of Antec, not sure the details but it's not worth 2 much. I also don't know what revision the CPU is, how do I find that out? I just paid for it and picked it up yesturday...

The best thing to do is use CPUID for that information.

http://www.cpuid.com/

Free and does what it's supposed to :D

What do I want to overclock? I think that's what I was asking, I just want to overclock it, get it up to 3.2Ghz at least.

Unless you are overclocking for pure bragging rights, there isn't much point. Are you a gamer and need extra frames or bigger benchmark scores? Or are you using some high-end rendering app or encoding software and need extra juice?

It seems pointless to overclock just because, especially since the net impact with the components you have could be... lack of a computer.

Lastly, what memory do you have and are you planning on oc'ing that?

Naturally.

If you wanted to race your car on a race-track, you don't just drive over and get on the track and go WHEEEE !!! You'll probably end up causing harm.

Same here.

You realize you have 4 cores and each core is going to be operating at different temps and the stock cooler is crap compared to after market solutions right? Further, the stock cooler is designed for slightly a thermal envelope that is a little above the stock clocks and the related temperatures. You plan to run 4 cores at 3.2GHz, if you don't want to drastically reduce the lifespan of your new processor, I would highly recommend adequate cooling. O

Just because some narbs online have been able to run a processor at a certain speed using certain components doesn't mean it is recommended.

The best thing to do is use CPUID for that information.

http://www.cpuid.com/

Free and does what it's supposed to :D

Unless you are overclocking for pure bragging rights, there isn't much point. Are you a gamer and need extra frames or bigger benchmark scores? Or are you using some high-end rendering app or encoding software and need extra juice?

It seems pointless to overclock just because, especially since the net impact with the components you have could be... lack of a computer.

Lastly, what memory do you have and are you planning on oc'ing that?

The overclocking is more towards bragging rights, but I do great deal of gaming and editing of files. I enjoy testing my parts as much as I can. In terms of cooling, what do you recommend? I will be picking up (was planning on it anyways) a 1000W PSU from probably Antec or Enermax. My CPU is Revision G0. h and my RAM at the moment is OCZ 6400 2GB, but I will have on Thursday 4GB OCZ 8500 RAM, and no i didn't plan on overclocking it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably don't need a 1000W psu, something around the 700-800W range with good efficiency and solid rails should suffice.

The memory you have seems to be ok.

A thermalright 90 cooler should also be fine for your cooling needs. It's one of the best on the market and not as expensive as the 120.

I'd highly recommend running back on stock clocks once you've gotten overclocking out of your system. Other than synthetic benches, it does very little (typically) for overall performance and you are also going to have shorter product lifespans.

The Thermalright 90, that is a heatsink/fan device?

Well if I am going to overclock, i don't think I will go back to stock unless I need too. I am no expert and don't really know much, but when I see 2.4Ghz go to 3.3Ghz to me that seems like a big performance increase.

if you want to test your components, join the folding team :)

You guys have given opinions and all that, which is good, i will take into account. Yet I have not got an answers to my actual question. How do I overclock my system, I know there are different ways, voltages, multiplyers, etc etc. I don't know where to start.

That site does not seem to help, there is no information on how to overclock, not saying I don't know how, I just want to have a detailed explanation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back