New System Build for Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey everyone, My friend is building a new pc and would like your input.
He plans to buy the parts tonight, so be quick :p
I am against the 320mb 8800gts, i think it would be worth it to get the gtx or the 7950gt over it but thats just me...
What do you think.
Intel is out of the question by his and my accord so...

GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128014
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
addToCart.gif
Add this item to your cart
$113.991

APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL/500 Silver/Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16811144089
addToCart.gif

-$10.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$159.99
$149.991

LITE-ON 20X DVD?R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe Technology Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model LH-20A1H-185 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106055
addToCart.gif

$33.991

Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK - Retail
Item #: N82E16820220144
addToCart.gif

-$10.00 Instant
$50.00 Mail-in Rebate
$214.99
$204.991

22-148-140-01.jpg
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148140
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
addToCart.gif

-$5.00 Instant
$89.99
$84.991

19-103-759-02.jpg
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103759
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
addToCart.gif

$205.001

14-130-038-09.jpg
EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
$304.99

Grand Total:$1,097.94

-Jack

If he's a gamer get the 640MB GTS. For the price the extra texture memory is a must have. If price is an issue cut back to less expensive memory and/or drop the processor rating a notch to make up the difference. Hmm, sweet price on that RAM.

Sigh, do him a favor and get an Antec Truepower PSU. Price is about the same.

Gigabyte is a good, solid MB but usually lacking in OC support.

I prefer WD drives to Seagate for reliability, but others here will disagree.

The proc you selected is the older (hotter) 90 nm WIndsor. This brisbane is about the same and will run cooler potentially offering more OC headroom.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103778

PS Some nice discounts on that stuff. Be aware that newegg's return policy is they will not take product back if the UPC code is clipped out. I now fear rebates on mail order.

Last edited:
The prices are correct, from Newegg the total at least.
Anyways, I think he needs the 640mb too.
The PSU he dont care about, nor do i.
I have a 20 dollar 550w psu right now a logysis...
And it runs beautifully.
As for the HDD, ur right lol
In another thread less than a week ago people said that Maxtor and WD were crap.
Hehe, i didnt realize that quality really mattered..
Thanks for the input
-Jack

Some info about that Lite On drive. After using LS the drive gets locked at 6x for burning and you have to reboot to fix it. Lite On knows about it and I think it may be fixed in the latest firmware but I can not confirm it.

Trying to find where I read about the issue...
For now - Thread that mentions about the issue

I have a Lite-On, don't burn many dvds though lol.
One drive i can't stand is BenQ
I bought a cheap dvd-rom for 24 bucks from ZipZoomfly, it was broken when i got it...
Not worth returning, smashed it instead :p
Thanks,
Jack

All I use are Lite On drives as they are cheap (price wise) but burn good. I just purchased the LH20A1H drive a few days ago and it will arrive tomorrow so I should find out if the issue is resolved with the latest firmware.

cool
i think Lite-On are great.
Prolly wouldnt get anything else (due to price)

May I ask why you are against Intel's procs?
OverPriced.
And if you look at the Pentium Ds...
They were absolutely horrible.
By far the worst in their category.
In fact, tested by C-net, every X2 beat even the best Pentium D in performance.
It was pretty pathetic.
He bought all the stuff btw.
Went with the 640mb card.
Thanks,
Jack

OverPriced.
And if you look at the Pentium Ds...
They were absolutely horrible.
By far the worst in their category.
In fact, tested by C-net, every X2 beat even the best Pentium D in performance.
It was pretty pathetic.
He bought all the stuff btw.
Went with the 640mb card.
Thanks,
Jack

I was thinking of Core2 procs actually.

I was thinking of Core2 procs actually.
I'm sure.
It doesnt take much for me to ruin an impression of a company. for me Intel is through in my book.

J79zlr -

You have the exact setup I would build.
If I weren't going to go uber and get dual fx70s id get the 5200, and id get the 7950gt, makes so much sense.
-Jack

I'm sure.
It doesnt take much for me to ruin an impression of a company. for me Intel is through in my book.

J79zlr -

You have the exact setup I would build.
If I weren't going to go uber and get dual fx70s id get the 5200, and id get the 7950gt, makes so much sense.
-Jack

Um, this is a build for your friend. As a friend, don't you think you are obligated to perhaps put aside your personal bias' and perhaps use your friend's money in the wisest way possible?

Further, AM2 is a dead platform.

Um, this is a build for your friend. As a friend, don't you think you are obligated to perhaps put aside your personal bias' and perhaps use your friend's money in the wisest way possible?

Further, AM2 is a dead platform.
Hehe
I didnt build it for him.
he is more technically inclined than I am... lol
He chose the whole set up.
I posted it here because I was trying to get him not to get the 320mb card.
And it worked, he went with the 640mb card.

IMO intel is bad, In his opinion Intel is bad...
So...
We got AMD...

Settle for second best then. Nothing beats the current C2D or Xeon processors. Nothing.

Your opinion.
Frankly, in my personal opinion, AMD no matter the specs will always be better than AMD.
I have an AMD 64 3200+ in my laptop, and it still kicks the brand new intel core 2 duo in my company laptops a$$.
Which is another reason why i wouldnt ever buy intel...
Again
And you cant call me bias.
I own 800 shares of Intel stock.

My opnion? It's a fact. There isn't a benchmark out there that shows otherwise. The C2D (and the C2E or Quad) is the best desktop processor available. The Xeon (5000 series or 7000 series) is the best server processor available.

AMD is done. They don't even have a 65nm yet and Intel is moving onto 45nm. It makes me laugh because it was only a matter of time before Intel pulled back into the lead.

My opnion? It's a fact. There isn't a benchmark out there that shows otherwise. The C2D (and the C2E or Quad) is the best desktop processor available. The Xeon (5000 series or 7000 series) is the best server processor available.

AMD is done. They don't even have a 65nm yet and Intel is moving onto 45nm. It makes me laugh because it was only a matter of time before Intel pulled back into the lead.
I think AMD does have a 65nm now.
But anyways, like i said.
I dont care about facts, at all...
I buy what I believe is best, which for me is AMD.
Mainly because my 2 year old laptop processor beats a brand new intel core2duo laptop processor, which is pretty pathetic.
Honestly i don't know about the Desktop processors, but i still would never buy intel, i mean look at the prices, for the huge savings is it worth it to waste the money on an intel?

Glad to hear he went the 640Mb, it's the better choice.

AMD does have 65nm, but in AM2 only, 3 models with a max heat of 65W. AMD has fixed their thermal issues but are now solidly a generation behind Intel. Also, as SAZAR said "AM2 is dead" the new road map shows it dieing out after a whole year...

AMD has end of lifed 3 processor sockets in the last 2 years. Screw that! AMD is churning the market at the expense of their customers and that is grounds to black list them permanently.

If you want a stable upward expansion path right now buy Intel MBs. That is from a guy who hasn't built an Intel system since 1995.

PS Intel stock? Bad idea, I dumped mine last year. Intel has become too diversified with their product lines (memory, chipsets, cell phone, etc) and have diluted the per share value of the technical excellence in their processor lines.

AMD in the long run. Interesting scuttle butt. It appears the ATI buyout was to obtain the universal shader engines that also make nifty physics engines and accelerators for scientific workstations. What AMD will do to increase memory bandwidth is stil lopen since they seem to be stalled at 800 Mhz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back