• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New "stylish" Dell PCs

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
#1
Not the greatest pic, but I'll look for more.



DALLAS (AP) -- From boring old beige computer cases to the more recent gray and black models, style isn't a word often associated with computer maker Dell Inc. But as the company continues to push into consumer products with plasma televisions and digital music players, it's adding a dash of flash to a revamped lineup of desktop and notebook computers.

Many of the new models were designed in response to customers' desire for sleeker, more stylish computers, says Jeff Clarke, a Dell senior vice president.

Business travelers wanted a more travel-savvy laptop, so Dell came up with the silvery, featherweight, 2.5-pound Latitude X1 - a design licensed from Samsung Electronics Co.

For consumers, Dell's new white-on-silver Dimension 9100 and 5100C desktops are slimmer and have a more accessible layout of ports and connectors than previous tower models.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#4
Arctic white and silver.

How they get arctic here in Round Rock I have no idea but thats why they are the one's making the big bucks with the creative naming :)
 

VenomXt

Blame me for the RAZR's
#5
its still dell hehe.. i have called them 4 tiumes today on 4 broken PC's so im unhappy with them at the moment.
 

VenomXt

Blame me for the RAZR's
#7
well when you use cheap componets you really cant excpect much. Tell you what if you get a dell make sure you get the service plan extended you will use. Iv used it close too 300 times for my facility. Sure they come out next day usually which indeed is nice. But alot of those are hardrives so... hehe is it worth it.

i better apologize for the flame sorry i wont continue it hehe.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#8
VenomXt said:
well when you use cheap componets you really cant excpect much. Tell you what if you get a dell make sure you get the service plan extended you will use. Iv used it close too 300 times for my facility. Sure they come out next day usually which indeed is nice. But alot of those are hardrives so... hehe is it worth it.

i better apologize for the flame sorry i wont continue it hehe.
Which units are you using? Optiplex's or precisions? Or other?
 

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
#9
Sazar said:
Arctic white and silver.

How they get arctic here in Round Rock I have no idea but thats why they are the one's making the big bucks with the creative naming :)
Maybe it's really from the Austin stone. ;)
 

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
#10
tbh, the one which is closed, does look beige on my screen. That said, it could be the pic, or it could be my monitor, or some combination of the two...

The real question, with any laptop where they mention it is thinner and sleeker, is what is the weight on the thing?
 

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
#11
Son Goku said:
tbh, the one which is closed, does look beige on my screen. That said, it could be the pic, or it could be my monitor, or some combination of the two...
The pic is pretty crappy. :)

The real question, with any laptop where they mention it is thinner and sleeker, is what is the weight on the thing?
It's right there in the quote... 2.5 pounds. ;)
 
#12
The X1 is super slick. 2.5 lbs...mmm.



Son Goku said:
tbh, the one which is closed, does look beige on my screen. That said, it could be the pic, or it could be my monitor, or some combination of the two...
That's actually the case for a desktop. :D
 

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
#13
Yeah, thx... Looks much better in that pic...

tbh, I looked at that (panell then, is it that guy is holding?), and thought "wouldn't that look ugly for a laptop, if that is how it looks closed" :eek: Didn't exactly want to say that though.

It looks better in your pic, as well as the one on the right in muzikool's pic look much better :)
 

VenomXt

Blame me for the RAZR's
#14
Which units are you using? Optiplex's or precisions? Or other?
Optiplex GX 150's, GX 260's, GX 270's
Insperons C 600, 610 D 600, 610

I have the most problems with the GX 260's and the c 600's and D 600's.

We alos use alot of shop computers as old GX 110's but they fail due to horrible conditions and old age. I dont fault them for that. My big disapointment is the D600's. POS's.

also understand that i support around 600 computers. so I have a high fail rate because of numbers but still hehe. Just makes me dislike Dell. One good thing i can say is lately i have ben able to understand there help desk.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#15
I was playing with the X-1 last week. Excellent setup :D

Much better keyboard layout and size than the 700M and it is LIGHT :D

Screen also has a lot less glare. If only it was a little cheaper :(
 
#17
our dell servers are awesome... weigh a freaking ton too but one they end up on a rack they dont move unless some one thinks 2gb ddr2 isnt enough ram :D
 

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
#18
LordOfLA said:
our dell servers are awesome... weigh a freaking ton too but one they end up on a rack they dont move unless some one thinks 2gb ddr2 isnt enough ram :D
Or if something happens, as happened to the servers in the college network's core... ALA, it was over 100 degrees outside and the A/C died. Needless to say, the campus wide network became a not-work... One piece of largish equip in there generates a whole hell of a lota heat...
 
Last edited:

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
#19
Sazar said:
I was playing with the X-1 last week. Excellent setup :D

Much better keyboard layout and size than the 700M and it is LIGHT :D

Screen also has a lot less glare. If only it was a little cheaper :(
Saz, not that I can afford a laptop now (though one could come in handy in those classes which don't have a desktop sitting in front of us), but what of the keyboard layout? The main problem I have seen on laptops (such as the one a friend of mine has, is a keyboard that is so compact that it's all too easy for my somewhat larger fingers to hit the wrong keys from time to time :eek:

Things like httl:// don't work too well in a browser :eek:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,013
Latest member
Pdawgintown