New Sony DRU 820A Burns disk slow...

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I just bought a sony dru 820A to replace my Plextor 712 so I could burn DL disks, but when I try to burn a regular dvd disk is takes over 20 min.

My plextor could do it in about 7 min. I updated to the latest firmware. 1.08 something.

What else should I do to try to get the 16x speed this drive is supposed to deliver. I am using 16x verbatim dvd +R disks.

1) Make sure the burning program you use does not think it is still writing to the plextor. Most likely cause.

2) Check the speed setting in the burn program too. It should be set to max.

3) Make sure you have had the new drive "test" the system to verify it is fast enough to burn at 16x. I've seen burning ware insist on a retest after any changes.

4) Different drives like different media. If the drive does not like the media you are using it will treat it as "bad" media and burn it at a slower speed. Possible with 16x media you are pushing the envelope.

5) It could be that particular drive. I had a lite-on that was pure crap. 2 friends of mine had the same models and theirs would burn any media at max speed.

Where can i get software to test the drive? Can I do it in NERO 6? It has so many programs. I am using DVD cloner II.

Is there a place to set the speed a dvd burner uses in xp.

Can I update the dvd burner's driver or just the firmware?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back