New since Automatic Windows Update

hndlthis

Can you handle this?
New popup since Automatic Windows Update

How do I get rid of this popup? I can't figure out how... it's really annoying. It happens every time I go to yahoo. See picture below

Attachments

• stupid-popup.jpg
    stupid-popup.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 145
Use Firefox? I wouldn't place anything in the "Trusted" zone btw

tried firefox... hated it... went back to IE lol. why not put anything in trusted?

because it can install anything it wants, one of IE's numerous security problems.

hndlthis said:
tried firefox... hated it... went back to IE lol. why not put anything in trusted?
Just curious. What's there to hate? Older versions held me back from changing from IE, but now I won't turn back from Firefox. It's just too good.

The tiny very few sites it can't handle usually don't hold any value anyway... Or you can temp switch to IE.

It looks as though you have an IE browser hijacker. Try running Ad-Aware or if you are skilled, HiJackThis.

Zedric said:
Just curious. What's there to hate? Older versions held me back from changing from IE, but now I won't turn back from Firefox. It's just too good.

The tiny very few sites it can't handle usually don't hold any value anyway... Or you can temp switch to IE.

Firefox and Mozilla are related, right? I had Mozilla and it was always annoying for me to have to click ok on the window that popped up that told me that something couldn't be run. I play a lot of online games (popcap.com, yahoo, etc.) and hated switching back and forth. I want things fast and functional... Mozilla wasn't functional for me.

Hijacked browser? I don't think so... my security settings are high and I don't leave my computer on all the time. I ran Ad-Aware... nothing came up except for the the normal few cookies that I get. I'll run HJT just to make sure...

While I was doing the auto update, I saw the same sheild thing... so that's what's also making me think it's not a hijacked browser... but it's possible that someone was smart enough to copy that symbol ;)

I also now have all of the following stuff under "tools" in my IE browser... (see attachment)

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 95
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 84
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 91
HJT log... anything abnormal?

Attachments

• newHJT.jpg
    newHJT.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 86
I think thats new IE for you. I'm not sure you can disable that. The little (very little) I have messed with IE since SP2 I have found it more worthless then it was before. Microsoft has taken the popup for everything, or hide it, way to handling security with this update (though I give them credit for at least trying to do something).

you are probably seeing this window because your settings are set to high, set them to default as a test and see if the window pops up, i bet it won't

it hasn't come up since i took everything out of my trusted site list... thanks everyone!

hndlthis said:
Firefox and Mozilla are related, right? I had Mozilla and it was always annoying for me to have to click ok on the window that popped up that told me that something couldn't be run. I play a lot of online games (popcap.com, yahoo, etc.) and hated switching back and forth. I want things fast and functional... Mozilla wasn't functional for me.
I have no idea what window that might have been? You mean like plugins or what?
Firefox has plugin installer, similar to IE. I don't know if Mozilla has it, they are related but not as close as you might think. :)

i tried the both of them... hoping to find some satisfaction in one of them...

i dont know what window lol... but something to the effect of "your browser doesnt support blah blah blah"... i downloaded the plugins but never found them to work very well. everythings back to "normal" though :)

Mozilla and Firefox do not natively run ActiveX controls, this is a good thing, one of the main reasons it's more secure than IE, but you can install an extension that allows you to run them.

I'm no expert but it looks like your security setting are too high.

Try changing the setting in security settings titled "web sites in less privalaged content zone can navigate into this zone"??? either.

I use yahoo mail and never get anything like that.

I too am trying to get used to firefox but there are still a few things that I can do in IE that I can't in firefox. most i've sorted with extensions, I suppose a little time and patience will sort it out!!

i fixed it. i just took it out of my trusted sites thingy... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back