New rig

Steevo

Spammer representing.
Political Access
Amd Phenom 9850BE (the egg ran out of 9950's when I went to order)
Swiftec 655 pump, CPU block, GPU block, & two pass radiator w/ 1/2 tubing & fittings.
2) Acrtic cooling 120mm fans for the radiator
HD4850 1Gb sapphire (soon to x-fire, gotta sell my system first)
Asus M3A32 Deluxe
4Gb OCZ Reaper 1066
Seagate 750Gb Perp Drive
Rosewill plain black case (going to paint and cut and maul)
PcPower & Cooling 750W PSU
Vista Ultimate x64

Moar soon.

Sounds like a cool set up. Amd is a nice system. Especially with the OS64. Good choice going with ultimate.

steevo: i would have looked into getting Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans for the radiator. nowhere near cheap, but built well, perform well, and quiet.

Amd Phenom 9850BE (the egg ran out of 9950's when I went to order)
Swiftec 655 pump, CPU block, GPU block, & two pass radiator w/ 1/2 tubing & fittings.
2) Acrtic cooling 120mm fans for the radiator
HD4850 1Gb sapphire (soon to x-fire, gotta sell my system first)
Asus M3A32 Deluxe
4Gb OCZ Reaper 1066
Seagate 750Gb Perp Drive
Rosewill plain black case (going to paint and cut and maul)
PcPower & Cooling 750W PSU
Vista Ultimate x64

Moar soon.

Personally I would strongly recommend that you look at getting an intel processor (plus a suitable board). Other than that looks good.

Steevo knows his hardware, but I am surprised he didn't go with an Intel Core Quad.

Intel $ for & VS AMD is behind, yes you can clock their systems higher, but performance is on par clock for clock. Yes there are a few tihngs the AMD falls behind in, but so does the intel.

Really once you hit 3.2 or a bit higher the returns are minimal in real world applications. Plus the AMDs can do it at lower voltage, many are at 1.2 or 1.3 to run 3.1 or 3.2 and that equals less heat and quieter.

So for quad performance, and more money to dump in the system elsewhere or to upgrade to water like I did and then go further. I have built alot of Intel systems recently and taken E2180's to 3Ghz but I wanted a quad for cheap and to tweak it some. So a $169 quad and board on sale was the way to go for me. I don't need anyone posting synthetic benchmarks or how the AMD fails at WinRAR as I never use the program.

well.. thats not a bad cpu.. the intels are a bit more energy efficient tho

are u sure bout the psu? seems a bit of overkill

epk: well... he DID say that he's gonna crossfire two 4850's as soon as he sells his current system. Not to mention that he's probably going to have his water cooling system hooked up to the same PSU...

That is a misconception that intel is more energy efficient, I have personally seen a 2.3Ghz quad stable at 1v and 2.0Ghz at .9v Intel cannot do this.

The PSU was on sale for $129.99

well.. maybe at factory settings.. most seen benchies show that

and, well, yeah, at that price is real good.. and didnt know xfire meant that :D hehe

Might have waited for the Corei7's from Intel and see how they do in the real world as they are supposed to be more energy efficient but its your system and money and you can spend it on what you want.

Sounds like a decent system based on specs. Look forward to how its does once you get up and running

he's better off buying now
i was planning on waiting, but then i saw the prices (almost 300$ for the cheapest one... and then u gotta add the ddr3 vs ddr2 difference, plus mobos are gonna be more expensive aswell)

andd.. all the 3 bloomfields launching soon are gonna have a TDP of 130w, so not very low power hehe

i think the best models are coming in january, i wouldnt wait that long (well, i didnt already [= )

Not necessarily.

Yes, when it comes to the procs themselves, Intel is typically more efficient. But because of the savings from their chipsets, AMD SYSTEMS typically draw less power than Intel rigs. Again, only a couple of watts here and there but still :smoker:

Btw Steevo, do you have that Cool n Quiet features turned off or did they fix the bug?

Not home yet with my new stuff.

Damn the 1/2 hose looks huge for being a PC cooling loop, going to go pick up my fittings and distilled water to mix on the way home too.

Yes I will have CnQ turned off to prevent the clock change issues, and with eventually two 4850 1GB's under water overclocked and a quad core pulling 140W (same as a single core Prescott 3.2Ghz) two burners, three HDD's and 5 120mm fans? I would like to be sure about having the power to keep it stable and not stress the PSU, I still want it quiet and efficient.

Stepping JAAHB AA 0820GPMW

I have seen a few at 3.2Ghz+ at 1.4v on air just by looking around.

My new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 seems fast.

I don't know about the quads for the price point. I was looking at the E8500 3.16GHz for $214. Or even the E8400 3.0GHz for $193. Those newegg prices are even better though.

I hit 3.2Ghz on 1.3vcore just by raising the multi. Booted to Knoppix twice and running memtest currently.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back