New Radiohead Album Coming Oct. 10 -- You Choose the Price!!!

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Radiohead shocked fans and the recording industry yesterday by announcing on their website the release of a new album, In Rainbows, on October 10th -- that's next week! The real shocker of it all is that they are doing this without a record label, and that they are letting fans choose the price for the digital download. So, it looks like you can get the new album for free if you want! Gotta love that "screw you" attitude toward the recording industry. :D

http://www.inrainbows.com

Here's a great piece from a Time article:
While many industry observers speculated that Radiohead might go off-label for its seventh album, it was presumed the band would at least rely on Apple's iTunes or United Kingdom-based online music store 7digital for distribution. Few suspected the band members had the ambition (or the server capacity) to put an album out on their own. The final decision was apparently made just a few weeks ago, and, when informed of the news on Sunday, several record executives admitted that, despite the rumors, they were stunned. "This feels like yet another death knell," emailed an A&R executive at a major European label. "If the best band in the world doesn't want a part of us, I'm not sure what's left for this business."

Labels can still be influential and profitable by focusing on younger acts that need their muscle to get radio play and placement in record stores — but only if the music itself remains a saleable commodity. "That's the interesting part of all this," says a producer who works primarily with American rap artists. "Radiohead is the best band in the world; if you can pay whatever you want for music by the best band in the world, why would you pay $13 dollars or $.99 cents for music by somebody less talented? Once you open that door and start giving music away legally, I'm not sure there's any going back."

****ing ace! :D

Not really that big into Radiohead (although I'll probably end up checking the album out) - but this is going to force the music industry to wake up and change their antiquated business model. I hope :ermm:

wow... those are sweet news... best move since xtc's strike :]

Hey if big popular and powerful bands/artists can spend thousands upon thousands if not millions on building their own recording studios and such, and with the savvy of many of these professionals they could easily record, produce and distribute their own albums over the net. Imagine all the wasted money on recording company execs and middleman distributors they get rid of and all that goes into the bands/artists pocket(s). Imagine going to your favorite band's or artist's site and buying directly from them. And if they let you piece meal it also (get only the songs you want), great. They could have servers like online gaming sites and such.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back