pirate extraordinaire
New computer, but which one is better?
Both have these common components:

- 1 GB DDR / PC3200 (2 DIMM)
- 400GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 16X max. DVD-ROM
- Double Layer 8X DVD+RW/+R drive
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with front audio ports
- Altec-Lansing VS3151 5.1 Speakers (6 speaker set-up)
- 2 USB 2.0, 1 Firewire ports
- 300 Watt Power Supply
- 3 PCI Expansion Slots (2 available)
- High-speed 56k modem
- Integrated 10/100Base-T networking

AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3700+ operating at 2.4GHz
Total memory slots: 2 DIMM
Front-side bus (processor-dependent) 1600MHz using HyperTransport™ technology with up to 9.6 GB/sec total processor-to-system bandwidth
One 8X AGP slot
256MB DDR NVIDIA GeForceFX(TM) 5500, DVI & TV-Out

or

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 540 w/HT Technology (3.2GHz)
Total memory slots: 4 DIMM
Front-side bus (processor-dependent) 800MHz
One x16 PCI Express slot
256MB DDR ATI Radeon X600 Pro with TV-Out and DVI

The big differences are the processor, front-side bus speed and video. The AMD is $40 more. This isn’t going to be a big gaming machine, some games though.( games I currently have installed and play: ghost recon, neverwinter nights, sacred, raven shield, and matrix online)
Just looking at speed, I think the AMD is a bit better and I am leaning that way.
Anyone have any facts or experience to help with my decision?

more specifically, is there a big differance in running win xp pro or win xp 64 on a 64 bit proc.? to my understanding(limited as it is) theres no big advantage in running 32 bit software on a 64 bit proc.????

electrickpirate said:
more specifically, is there a big differance in running win xp pro or win xp 64 on a 64 bit proc.? to my understanding(limited as it is) theres no big advantage in running 32 bit software on a 64 bit proc.????
Afaik, the only Win XP 64-bit out (except for the pre-release version) is the one designed for Itanium (IA-64). It won't even run on the AMD 64 (x86_64).

yea, i have the pre-release, 1 yr version.
other than an increase due to processor speed and bus speed, will 32 bit apps run better cuz they are on a 64, or does the program code need to be written to take advantage of 64 bit processing?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back