New printer wanted

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political Access
Hello y'all

I'm looking for a new printer, nothing too flashy but has t produce quality results. Colour prefered but not essential.

Suggestions please :) (note location!)

Do you care about ink cost or printer price?
Do you need photo quality (5-7 ink)?

All home use printers are color now and do excellent black and white. The draw back is ink price. HP is proabbly the most expensive because their print head is in the replacement cartridge. Epson or cannon have cheaper ink but if the head messes up you might as well buy a new printer for the cost of a head replacement.

My approach is to watch for the best sale when I need a printer. You can get a printer with a set of ink cartridges for about the price of a set of ink cartridges.

I do care about price, both ink and printer. In the usual range of cheap to medium.
Photo quality is not needed

I shall have a look rushm001 :)

HP 7350... Black £19.99, Photo £24.99, Tri-colour £29.99
Got one and works perfectly well for home use.

If not photo, then maybe the HP 2179 or 1210 All-in-one, printer scanner and photocopier. £99.99, uses same ink as 7350 except no photo ink.

@ mo i have a lexmark z53, does ~15ppm mono ~8 color great dpi as well, also a major plus is the fact that it has a 2 cartridges, one black one color :D cartriges arew ~£30 and last agesssss. would definatly but anouther lexmark :cool:

If you are price conscious stay away from HP. Their overpriced ink is the only thing keeping HP-Compaq out of bankruptcy court.

The EPSONs I've had have been offensively noisy and did not last that long. The canon I got my wife last year has been very nice. S820. It is fast, queiter than the epsons. The print head does not clog like the epson and it uses individual ink cartridges so you only repalce one color at a time. The 820 is probably discontinued now but its replacement will do as well. $50 for printer with a set of ink cartridges. About $12 per cartridge for replacements.

LeeJend said:
If you are price conscious stay away from HP. Their overpriced ink is the only thing keeping HP-Compaq out of bankruptcy court.

The EPSONs I've had have been offensively noisy and did not last that long. The canon I got my wife last year has been very nice. S820. It is fast, queiter than the epsons. The print head does not clog like the epson and it uses individual ink cartridges so you only repalce one color at a time. The 820 is probably discontinued now but its replacement will do as well. $50 for printer with a set of ink cartridges. About $12 per cartridge for replacements.
I'm going to have to dispute this claim because if you haven't noticed, HP ink carts contain near double the amount that Epson. However, I'm not saying you're totally wrong since I haven't seen which inks that the latest Epson printers use so a price:quantity comparison had not been made on the latest printers.

EDIT: Also, I'm in the UK so prices for the two maybe totally different to other countries.

Minn I agree on the Epson. I bought my ink on the web for half the price of the stores so it was cheaper than HP but overall I was dissatisfied with the epsons. The web ink may be the casue of the clogged heads.

My next printer will be another canon. HP bled me dry on ink cartridges. Never again! BTW the a major cost factor on the HP was the cartridges drying out if I did not use them daily. I threw away a lot of half full ink cartridges becasue they sat too long.

Canon ones are cheap... not too sure why, maybe they are struggling to grab hold of market share.
We've stopped selling Canon printer since early 2003. Don't ask why... I have no idea on that. The whole gondola is dominated by Epson and HP printers.. with a hint of Lexmark somewhere in there.

Really? Canon has a fairly strong presence over here. Lexmark has very limited offerings. Epson and HP get the bulk of the shelf space due toi their marketing behemoths.

What is really hacking me off these days is that they change the cartrdige design every 6 months so the after market people don't second source them. All they want to do is give away printers and sell ink for them.

True to the last sentence. The ink costs more than the machine itself. :p
You may be surprised by this, but I'm quite happy - I've noticed nearly all the medium/higher range of HP printers are using the same inks as the one I purchased back in Dec02/Jan03. (even all the latest models that we're currently selling in our store.)

Let me just tell you this. don't get canon because they don't last long. hp uses thermal ink so it nevers gets clogged. i had a canon s520 (fairly new) and it clogged and to replace the catridge thing was like 70 bucks which was almost as much as the printer. I would go with any HP or possibly Epson:) Lexmark is good too but its for rich people...lol

I have a Canon i860. It cost me about USD $135.00. It has 5 print cartridges (CYMK, plus 1 other black [a photo ink black?]). The print head is removable, so if it gets clogged, it can be replaced too.

I'll give you my opinions on the other major printer manufacturers:

1) Lexmark - crap, crap, crap. CRAP. Don't waste your money on these.
2) Epson - one step above crap, I've heard, and it tends to get bad customer ratings.
3) HP - traditionally a good manufacturer, but they do tend to be expensive for what you get; and, after finding my combined color cartridges constantly run out of yellow before anything else, I was tired of replacing it with an expensive cartridge. I don't have bad things to say about HP, per se. I just think they're very lazy in terms of innovating their printers further.

Melon

a point i forgot to mention is that with lexmark the printhead in in the cartridge, so every time you get a new one you get new print heads, means a much higher quality + they never get blocked. Lexmark arent for the rich prodj88, mine was top of the line 2 years ago and only cost £100.

prodj88 said:
Let me just tell you this. don't get canon because they don't last long. hp uses thermal ink so it nevers gets clogged. i had a canon s520 (fairly new) and it clogged and to replace the catridge thing was like 70 bucks which was almost as much as the printer. I would go with any HP or possibly Epson:) Lexmark is good too but its for rich people...lol
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, and Prodj88 jogged my memory with his reply, is that Epson and Canon printers do not have a print head on their ink cartridges which is a nother reason why their ink carts seem to be cheaper. Whereas HP and I believe Lexmark have a print head on every ink cart that they sell, so that there is no worry of it getting clogged up.

A clogged up print head cost me around £40 when I had a Canon printer back in the days, and the printer died on me about 6 months after I had the thing replaced. :(

All I've got to say is that my next color printer in a few years will be a color laserjet. :p

Melon

I have the Lexmark Z53 as well. The ink replacement, I think, is expensive but I'm in the states so prices I'm sure are different than the UK

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back