New printer wanted

Ink replacement is expensive. Generally this is the case I have found with all models (yes even HP ones) as its the way companies make money.

I can vouch for a Lexmark printer as well. I have an all in one Injet printer at home which also doubles as a photo copier and a fax, and it hasn't given me any problems so far.. and to be honest, the Ink price is OK if you use it only occasionally (Black and White Cartridges are cheaper to replace also) :D

yeah i print 1000's of pages on the "draft" setting, if i used the high settings then i could see it runnig out :D

Lexmark in UK... bucks... £32.99 for a colour ink... USD = 32.99 x 1.7~
USD56.08~

You've got to remember that HP and Lexmark give you a new print head with each ink cartridge so that you never get any problems of the ink/print head getting clogged up.

yeah thats about right ~£30, but i only use like 3 a year :D

Henyman said:
yeah thats about right ~£30, but i only use like 3 a year :D
You need to cut down on printing pictures of your favourite 'cow of the week' posters Heny. ;)

ive got a epson c83, bit more high end sorta thing

great speed / quality

BUT

the ink dries up, thats right, dries up and disappears into thin air. So quickly in fact, that if i just left the printer with a full cartridge alone for less than 3 months, the ink would have completely gone without me having printed anything. You might think that 3 months is a long time, but combine that with normal usage and you get max 2 months from a set of cartidges. I also have a HP Officejet 1175 something rather, and the ink cartidge has been in there for at least a year. not only that, the epson software prohibits you from priniting once it decides for itself that the ink cartridge is empty, where in fact ive heard reports that at this stage it still has up to 50 pages left. I have no time to install elaborate driver hacks and such.

However, here in OZ, replacement cartidges for the Epson are around $19 each, which makes around $80 for all four replacements. The HP however has two cartidges, black and colour, each costing around $60, for a total of aorund $120, but they last a lot longer.

In hind sight i would have definately bought an equivalent HP over an Epson.

never had a lexmark though, they seem to be popular in the UK, not so much here though i think.

try getting a laser printer. paid 99.00 for mine after 50.00 mail in rebate, and i get 3,000 pages for a toner cartridge that costs only 89.00. Mine is a lexmark. and i have never had one single problem.

I would take a two strand approach if you are able - how about a cheap HP Laserjet 4l (you can get these second hand pretty easily for well under £50, I got mine for £50 over two years ago, still going strong and only just had to replace toner cart!) - that will cover your b&w needs.

Then something like the HP 1210 all in one, for £99 that gives you colour plus scanner and copying?

If you have network or somesuch then you can default to your b&w laser and select the colour when you need it. Just a thought, I use an HP psc 950, the 1210 and the Laserjet 4l - not had any trouble with any of them really. The paperfeed on the 1210 seems to take more than one sheet a lot, but maybe that's my paper.

Also you can get compatible carts which pretty much halves the costs and often holds extra ink and that makes a big difference for HP. I have not seen any difference in quality or any problems with printers from using these.

Hope that's helpful.

You should get rid of the HP 950 and 1210. lol.
Go to PCW and check the HP 2xxx series similar to the 2179. There's an All-in-one with fax and photo printing. My friend's got one, me jealous. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back