New printer and external HDD

I have never used an external HDD so I can't give you any advise on that. I have been using my HP Photosmart C7200 All-in-one Printer/Fax/Scanner and it works great! It was easy to set it up to wirelessly print my documents and I can scan my documents/pictures to my memory card and then upload them to my computer. I have had no problems with this printer so far and it's been great for printing out my college work.

I suggest you take a look at the HP all-in-one printers at the below Amazon link and see if you can find any that you like:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e...=hp+all+in+one+printer&x=0&y=0&sprefix=hp+all

For inkjet printers, steer away from Kodak, Lexmark, and Canon. While some may offer quality prints the inks for these models are gonna get you!

HP is ok, but not grand. Their blue hues are normally off a bit though you might not notice until you hold the photo up to one that is correct.

My personal favorite is Epson. I do suggest using Epson's paper and ink, thought I'd had amazing results from InkGrabber.com's inks as well. You just can't use Kodak or HP, or store brand papers and get good results. This goes for just about every brand out there... their inks are made to work with their papers.

Epsons are bred for photo quality. I always print my own studio prints (either ones I've taken myself, or I purchase the rights from a studio) and no one knows the difference.

I really can't advise on Lasers for photos. I know Brother makes some awesome laser printers, but I've always prefered ink jets for photos. I guess it really depends on the quantity you plan to print...

Avoid lasers for photo quality work, colors are just wrong.

Since you want a good quality printer I would suggest HP. The reason being I have thrown away a bunch of EPSON and Cannon because the heads clog and a replacement head is more than the printer costs. Note since the HP head is in the ink cartridge you will pay dearly for the ink!!! But probably less than constantly replacing printers because the built in heads clog.

Clogging can be avoided by printing every day and using manufacturers ink if you do go non-HP.

NEVER buy a brother! Second worst experience of my PC life. They squirt all their ink out into an internal sponge in the name of "continuous head cleaning" then completely stop working until a new cartridge is fed to them. Emptied the color cartridges in 3 months of rare printing and I never printed a color page.

If cost of supplies can not be passed on in contracts search for some reviews of cost per page for the printers. PC Magazine (Ziff Davis) used to do these annually.

External HD?
Get a generic case with firewire and USB then drop in whatever brand and size OEM HD you want. I'm partial to WD. I was starting to look at Seagate again but read some reliability issue posts around so am sticking with WD. If you buy the same functionality external case and HD as a package you will pay $50-75 extra.

NEVER buy a brother! Second worst experience of my PC life. They squirt all their ink out into an internal sponge in the name of "continuous head cleaning" then completely stop working until a new cartridge is fed to them. Emptied the color cartridges in 3 months of rare printing and I never printed a color page.

Are you talking about Brother completely? Cause I have two Brother lasers, one is about 4yrs old, and the other is a year and they are both serving me well.

• The 4yr old one is a Brother HL-1435 with a DLink parallel port print server.
  • And the newer one is a Brother MFC-8460N with a built in print server. Network scanning is awesome, I also found out about PC-FAX where, over the network, I can send a fax thru the printer.

Thanks a lot for everything guys and gals :)

I'll probably go with a WD harddisk as I've heard lots of good things about these. Regarding the printer, I'll probably go for ink then if laser isn't good for colours :)

well.. i've had good and bad experiences with WD
and now i own a seagate and everything is going well

so, if i was buying i would just buy a decent brand (with good specs) at a respected store
all hd's may die, so the important is that the warranty is good

as for printers.. i've owned HP's and they're really good
supplies are damn expensive, but i think they have the best printing quality

I've only used Black Lasers when it comes to Brother. My dad's company has had the same one for about 7 yrs. Works like a charm... but, like someone else said, lasers aren't the best when it comes to colors and photo printing.

BTW, I've had 2 Epsons that lasted me 3 and 4 years each. I use mine almost daily for short run printing for customers and they have help up wonderfully. Maybe it's because I'm using them daily that I don't have the problems others are talking about when it comes to things like the ink heads clogging. Yes, I do have to clean mine from time to time, but never anything major.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back