new Power supply HELP!

Kush

High On Life!
Hi, if u were in the cha room the last two days u would know that my new amd pc has killed a 300w power supply. and i went and bought a new one 300w, and it just died like a couple of hours ago!!!:mad: so what is goo for my config? im thinking on either the antec true blue 480w or the antec true 550w. which one should i get? will 480 be able to run my system with the below hardware? or do i need the 550w? also will this getting a bigger wattage psu solve my problem of eating 300w psu's? thanks alot for your help reply fast cuz i wanna buy it only and have it sent to me in saudi arabia will take a couple of days like a week probably or more. THanks AGIAN!!:( :(

a 400w PSU should be plenty

cool.gif

so? agreed?

so the 480w it is? anybody agree disagree plz share!:happy:
im not trying to offend u iceman just trying to take as much advise as i can :blink:

it's ok, been building all my computers since 1992 of course I don't know what I'm talking about.

not offended

cool.gif

just dont want to have another thing die! thats all how do u know that it wont die with the 480? i mean yah can can undrestand its a high wattage but like how does it stand the power u know what i mean can u explain?:happy:

Surely, it won't take more power than it can, so the power will not be consumed if for instance i buy a 180watt psu for my little p150 and it only need 100 watts it will only use that even if i up in a 400 watt psu :S

Skazz

actually it should run good with a 350w PSU, but I was being over cautious and said a 400w, 480w is just plain over-kill in my book, but if you got the money go for it

cool.gif

hehe?

then whats the 550w made for ..? pwering an airplane?

I have 2 of the True Power 550 watt PSU. If you look dollar for dollar you will see that the cost of the 550 is not all that great for what you get. Also you want to look at the protection devices that the PSU offers. Over voltage, over current, heat, etc... The smaller supplies as a rule do not offer this protection. They are cheaper for a reason. You should also look at the sustained power on the PSU. My 550 watt will run at 520 continuous if needed....

The 550 watt PSU is for the power user. If you have a lot of goodies in your case (DVD,CD-RW, multi-HDD, etc.) then you will want to look at the 550. As well if you plain to grow in the future on you system this is a good idea..

By the way I have 2 systems with 300 watt PSU as well but the are normal duty machines..........

:)

ok im getting the 550

ok im ganna get the 550 just like i intended, but the thing is ehy dont they put the blue led in it? its soo nice, anyways thats ok i dont need it really.!:happy:

The problem I see is that if it already ate two 300W PSUs it may just as well eat the 550W as well. I think something is wrong with your computer. If the PSU is "too small" ot won't just die. At least not to begin with.

Originally posted by Zedric
The problem I see is that if it already ate two 300W PSUs it may just as well eat the 550W as well. I think something is wrong with your computer. If the PSU is "too small" ot won't just die. At least not to begin with.

I have to agree with zedric. Either the 300W PSU's were total crap or you might check the wall outlet that your pluging into. Make sure that your set to 110 and not 220.

well

well let me tell u that the first came with the case and ive had it for a cpuple of months like 5 with my p3 and it had lost of dust and it wasnt any real brand u know, imean it was a brand but a not known one, that one lasted like a couple of hours on copying files. and the second one i bought was a cheap no name 10 buck one which stayed like a day or so. so whats ur opinion? i have it on 110 and not 220 i can also get 220v also if i want we have both voltages here in saudi, btw which is better to run a pc on? 220v? since it is more? does that make the system more stable?:huh:

Originally posted by Iceman
it's ok, been building all my computers since 1992 of course I don't know what I'm talking about.

not offended

cool.gif
back in the good old days of 486 DX 50 and the amazing 100mhz chips :rolleyes:

Originally posted by GoNz0
and ram in 1mb modules:D

*brings back on topic*
:)

When I lived in England, I had some problems with a couple of cheap PSs that were "supposedly" dual voltage. However, being that the power cycles in England are 50 hz instead of 60 hz like in the states, when the power supply was on 120 (that I had) it didn't last more than a couple weeks. I discovered this the hard way myself. I'm not sure of the cycles where you are, but I would use the "native" cycles and voltage that are most common there. If it's 220V/50 hz, then you might be better setting it that way.

-JG

110v

the most common is 110v. the 220v is only in the kitchen for our compound.

dunno if this info might help with the general quantity issue

Video
AGP video card - 30-40W
PCI video card - 30W

Processor
AMD Athlon 900MHz-1.1GHz - 50W
AMD Athlon 1.2MHz-1.4GHz - 55-65W
AMD Duron 1.0MHz-1.3GHz - 50W
AMD Athlon 1.47MHz-1.73GHz - 75W
Intel Pentium III 800MHz-1.26GHz - 40W
Intel Pentium 4 1.4GHz-1.7GHz - 65W
Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz-2.0GHz - 75W
Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz-2.4GHz - 90W
Intel Celeron 1.0GHz-1.1GHz - 35W
Intel Celeron 1.2GHz-1.4GHz - 50W

Motherboard
ATX Motherboard - 35W-45W

RAM
128MB RAM - 10W
256MB RAM - 20W

Optical Media
24X or higher IDE CD-RW Drive - 35W
32X or higher IDE CD-ROM Drive - 25W
10x or higher IDE DVD-ROM Drive - 20W
SCSI CD-RW Drive - 17W
SCSI CD-ROM Drive - 12W

Hard Drives
5,400RPM IDE Hard Drive - 10W
7,200RPM IDE Hard Drive - 13W
7,200RPM SCSI Hard Drive - 24W
10,000RPM SCSI Hard Drive - 30W
15,000RPM SCSI Hard Drive - 45W

Floppy Drives
Floppy Drive - 5W

Expansion Cards
Network Card - 4W
Modem - 5W
Sound Card - 5W
SCSI Controller Card - 20W
Firewire/USB Controller Card - 10W

Fans
Case Fan - 3W
CPU Fan - 3W

Originally posted by GoNz0
I've still got a laptop with 32MB RAM and a Intel 486DX 75MHz processor, its really good its got 350MB Hard drive.
I put freebsd on it, and removed windows 98. I think it originally had win 3.11 on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back