New PC... please help

DFX

OSNN Senior Addict
Here's what Im looking at:

Asus A7S333 SKT A Supports AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron processor

AMD ATHLON XP1800+ 266GHz FSB
Maybe more If I can stretch my budget. (Included Heatsink and fan)

Crucial PC2700 256mb DDR CL 2.5 184pin DIMM

Ive got a case (not sure if its ATX or AT though - how do I check), power supply (not sure of rating but what should it be?)... Seagate 40GB hard drive, floppy, DVD rom, mouse, keyboard, monitor, Matrox G200 graphics card and Sound Blaster 128 sound card (upgrading to Midiman Audiophile when I have spare £150).

Will these work without conflicts, etc...? What have I overlooked, if anything?

Thanks.

PS: My PC is going to be for audio, not games or anything like that so please bear that in mind.

Power Supply should be over 350 I suggest.

More memory! Even if it is on;y for audio; things will still load somewhat slowly with that that much. If you can, pull a 512MB load :)

Make sure you get a good heatsink for your CPU. I think A Thermatake Volcano 7, 6cu, or 9 ( go with 9 ) will be very much sufficient.

You forgot speakers Mate!

Gets some logictech's, you won't regert it !

Look up the model No. of the case to see what it is. If it's over two (2) years old it may be an AT and the way prices are for new Cases these days it may be to your advantage to get a new one. As for the Power Supply, 350 (min.) Watt ATX "dual fan" to keep everything happy.

If you go out and buy a new Case get it with the size Power Supply you want.

These are my thoughts, many of others will vary. :D

[EDIT]
Another thing on the Case, if the Power Supply in it at the moment has a two (2) piece Main Power Connector it is an AT. If the PSU has a rectangular one piece Main Power Connector it is ATX.
[/EDIT]

I agree with Gonaads, make sure your PSU has two fans; to keep it happy. If not; I suggest you invest in a new one.

Remember, the more the better in terms of PSU Watts.

Also if this PC is going to be mainly for audio, I read somewhere (can't remember at the moment) That it would be wise to have a RAID 0 (I think it was RAID 0...) array as it's speedier with file transferance when manipulating audio files (striped RAID level 0 mode). But your MoBo does not have RAID capabilities. :(

Posted by DFX
AMD ATHLON XP1800+ 266GHz FSB
Will these work without conflicts, etc...? What have I overlooked, if anything?

:eek: I hope that XP1800 isnt running that fast (266GHz FSB) :D :D :D

With psu's the quality of the psu is probably more important than the actual wattage, ie good line regulation. A good enermax 350W is better than a yumcha 450W.

Good point... Never skimp on the PSU. :)

Agreed. Jumpy; your avatar scares the sh*t out of me. A Bill Gates fairly *runs*

Pull it's wings off!!! Grab the MicroSquish Fly Swatter, QUICK!!! :p

Whaha! Pull it's wings off! LoL! :p

Take away the Windows fairy's wings, and a new release set will come out of it's butt; those wings will work...although at times Bill may experience symptoms such as uncontroable twitching; slowing down in flight speed; or at times; crashing all together. Then we will all wonder how it could have possible passed quality assurance :p

dfx... why the a7s333? go for the better a7v333. via makes a better chipset for athlons than sis.

Posted by Nick M
Whaha! Pull it's wings off! LoL! :p

Take away the Windows fairy's wings, and a new release set will come out of it's butt; those wings will work...although at times Bill may experience symptoms such as uncontroable twitching; slowing down in flight speed; or at times; crashing all together. Then we will all wonder how it could have possible passed quality assurance :p

HA HA HA HA... ROFLMAO TOOO FUNNY!!! :p :p

Sorry Bill but your wings are using an illegal product key. They will no longer function.

I bought 2200 XP, not 1800. The Case IS ATX...
Also, I also got 2x 128MB ddr ram (crucial), not 1 thing.

No way of cancelling my order now tho. :( :( :(

I read somewhere that Raid is for fast transfer of data from 1 HD to another. I only have 1 40GB Seagate anyway, so would I use it?

For raid 0, or 1; I believe you need two drives; both exactly the same.

we just talked alot about RAID in my thread but heres a link that mubbers posted to another thread with very good information on RAID

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back