New PC build troubles

Abbadon2001

OSNN Addict
well here we have the problem... just finished building a friends new pc, based on neo 2 plantinum MSI board, 3000 winchester, 1 gig matched dimms, 80 gig drive, 9800pro 128meg, etc...

everything fine and dandy, windows seems to install fine, gets through to serial key and all that etc... then first time it tries to get in to windows proper it wont get past scrolling windows screen :paranoid:

tried installing windows twice now and same thing happens

Any one know of a good reason this could be ? i am tepted to try get a version of xp wiv sp2 pre installed? would this help?

cheers

[EDIT]: seems the pc stops when loading windows on the mup.sys file?

OK - a very lateral thought to just test your build - take a Knoppix CD and boot that, you will be able to play once it boots and do a certain amount that tells you everything else is AOK.... Then you are back to debugging Windoze :p

Could you explain what you mean when you refer to the "scrolling windows screen" because I am not sure I follow that one? Is it a logon screen? Is it the one with the "pulsing" progress bar? And I guess you got the edit info from a safe boot with command prompting?, yeah? If I were you I would do a search and see what that mup file is about.... oh yeah and check your BIOS and NForce drivers (I have same board as that though and it posted and booted to an XP install fine, my issues were almost all SATA and RAID related, although right now I have just flashed Bios and updated drivers and now it is saying bad partition file :( - will not boot :( )

i've read alot of problem about the neo2 not that it helps any of you guys but there are probably alot of forums covering similiar problrems if you search google.

the only problems are beacuse if stupid users (no offence). the Neo2 is the best available for the athlon64 platform. Did you ever think that maybe the cd is damaged and therefore the file is corrupt? or any other such thing?

Hardware is usually the last thing to blame if its brand new. We dont need people without having the hardware in question, making an unhelpful post saying "oh I read about lots of problems with neo2".

My solution would be to try a different XPCD, or even a different drive to read it. Failing that boot XP to safe mode so it loads "default" drivers. If that boots you know its a corrupt driver file.

well after 16, yes 16 different combinations of hardware incluing different ram and g/c it works - with all the new (and original) hardware, and the old hdd's.... in exactly the same configuraton that we started with - down to the jumper settings on the drives, everything the same. why it works today and not yesterday we dont know - same xp cd used every time, same everything. have got xp to install and run fine now using the 5 yr old 20 giger and the more recent 80 gig ide drive :S ,neither of which would work yesterday!

most random thing ever - and ive seen the most random things when building systems before!

oh well touch wood its fine now - both drives seem to work fine etc... and weve even fitted the arctic cooler to the graphics card too :)

im just not going to breath or walk too near it for fear of it going wrong!

Congrats - sounds like it was a loose connection somehwere that all those rejigs sorted out!

Leaderz0rz said:
i've read alot of problem about the neo2 not that it helps any of you guys but there are probably alot of forums covering similiar problrems if you search google.

Well - a feature rich board which is fresh to market will have a lot of ways to screw it's installation up and also will have slightly more buggy drivers and utilities - but with the right usage and informed support these things are soon ironed out.

Here is a forum I would recommend for the Neo 2 - has a great RAID FAQ guide that sure helped me make my SATA the boot drive.

My guess is that what you had might have been some sort of loose connection issue? The other possibility is that you had the SAME things connected but they got installed or connected in a DIFFERENT order? The order of things can make a huge difference.... and the second time you came at things maybe the drivers were in place (or did you reformat again?).

Anyway - just enjoy it - it is a good board and I am enjoying mine ;)

Yeah, Mainframe is right, it's an outstanding board PACKED to the top with features and options. It's been chosen as the top board for the socket 939 series processors time and time again.

Abbadon2001 said:
well after 16, yes 16 different combinations of hardware incluing different ram and g/c it works - with all the new (and original) hardware, and the old hdd's.... in exactly the same configuraton that we started with - down to the jumper settings on the drives, everything the same. why it works today and not yesterday we dont know - same xp cd used every time, same everything. have got xp to install and run fine now using the 5 yr old 20 giger and the more recent 80 gig ide drive :S ,neither of which would work yesterday!

most random thing ever - and ive seen the most random things when building systems before!

oh well touch wood its fine now - both drives seem to work fine etc... and weve even fitted the arctic cooler to the graphics card too :)

im just not going to breath or walk too near it for fear of it going wrong!

I'm glad to hear you have solved your problems, however if you should start to experience instability issures within xp you may consider turning off DEP(Data Execution Prevention.

Athlon64's come with hardcoded DEP, while XP has softcoded DEP. There are times they can conflict causing instability within windows.

Simply open your boot.ini and change to the following:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

The change is in /noexecute=AlwaysOff, which of course turns off the windows DEP. The DEP tab under performance options will be grayed out("My Computer" properties, advanced performance settings button)

Hopefully you won't have to do this, not that it harms anything, I've been running my setup in this manner since I discovered this solution for my particular setup.

PEACE!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back