New Network assistance

zapoqx

Striking Master
Hey all. So I need a few things.
I'm going to be moving in a few months and my current home network is fine for me. The new place I'll be going to will have me living with 2 other people. Currently, I'm using the following:

The connection is currently setup with:
  • My Desktop (Wired)
  • My 360 (Wired)
  • My Laptop (Wireless and Wired)

The Laptop is wireless, but it doesn't handle well with watching streams like Youtube or Netflix/Hulu/whatever (mostly cause its an old laptop despite using Wireless G) so it uses Wired in those cases. Plus, if I need to transfer stuff, it is faster transferring via the wired.

Now the new place requires a Wireless N router with hopefully G compatibility (and maybe B). I want to hope that most wireless N routers is also 10/100/1000 or at least 100/1000 types. As of right now, I'm hearing the following will need to be networked between me and the others:

• My Desktop (Wired) (10/100/1000)
  • My Laptop (Wireless) (10/100; Wireless A/B/G)
  • My Xbox 360 (Preferred Wired, but can be wireless) (10/100; Wireless B/G)
  • An Xbox 360 (wired) (10/100)
  • Playstation 3 (Wireless) (10/100; Wireless B/G)
  • Wii (Wireless) (Wireless B/G?)
  • PSP (Wireless) (Wireless B/G)
  • Desktop Computer (I believe NEEDS to be Wired) (10/100)
  • Laptop (Wireless) (10/100? Wireless B/G/N)
  • iTouch (Wireless)
  • Possibly 2 Nintendo DS Lites (Hopefully not) (Wireless B)

As you can see, this is a big jump in the connections. We will be going with Cable still and I'm looking at a 20-25Mbps Download, 4-5 Mbps Upload. Technically, my current Modem would be fine, but I would LIKE to upgrade to a Motorola SURFboard SB6120 because it has DOCSYS 3.0 and based on the tech specs, it seems like it would handle better the amount of multi-download/upload requests. Also, it has the IPv6 compatibility should it... whenever it decides to be accessible, become usable.

As for the network, I figure a 4-ports minimum would be necessary and Needing a Wireless N with G compatibility is required. I was tempted to go use DD-WRT for the custom firmware if I got something like a Linksys or Netgear, I hate their interface. That and I feel I'd probably have better controlling setup with everything.

I want to know if anyone had any recommendations for the router and their thoughts about the modem purchase (such as if the upgrade would be good or an alternate modem may be better). I'll of course look around as well, but with so many options out there, I figure 2nd opinions are usually better.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long read.

Last edited:
I just bought a Linksys E3000 and flashed DD-WRT on it. No complaints so far, it's dual band and has a USB port and gigabit.

I bought a new internal card for my laptop (Intel Ultimate N 6200) which is dual band so I have the 5Ghz radio to myself.

Question: Why does the new place "require" N?

Because the person I know is more Techy in the essence of wanting the fastest, efficient, and greatest (even if he doesn't always know the cost at times). I just figured joining on the Wireless N bandwagon when they were cheaper and routers were more stable.

If you aren't planning to transfer files among computer then N is pointless. Is this person going in on the cost?

yep.
And as said, I tend to transfer from my laptop to my computer and back (but usually I do that wired since the wireless G isn't fast enough for me whenever I want to transfer).

The N router won't make a difference if you don't have a pc that will handle it. It also will not make a difference with the internet speed, it is only for pc to pc on your home network.

They do.
I can hardwire and handle the gigabit connection.
The internet speed is not part of the router that I asked about with the modem. My reasoning for the modem (Refer back to original post) is this:
If I watch a stream on a computer
Play an Xbox Live game online on my 360
another person watching a stream
while I can have 2MB/s download rate, it would drop to where the total is around 1MB/s at best while my router is trying to prioritize the connection. I figure if anything, it should be around 1.5MB/s usage, so I come to the conclusion the modem needs better method of prioritize. That is why I never said that the router won't make a difference in internet speed. It will however make a difference on the internet speed for a person using wireless N compared to wireless G if they were dedicated to it as my wireless G doesn't give anyone more than 500KB/s (So a Wireless N person if they were the only one on the network at a certain time of day would have full usage to the connection as opposed to maybe half or a third of the connection). Trust me when I say speed for them is a difference.
Anyways, as I said, I'm not asking for if Wireless N router will or won't make a difference... that was the MODEM question. And I'm not asking if I SHOULD switch to a Wireless N router because the decision is there hence I'm asking for opinions based on other people who MAY have one or experienced a few.

Not trying to be rude, but please read my original post so I don't have to re-explain it.

Also, the person with the other 360 plans to get a 360 slim in the future to make use of the Wireless N.

So far, I am seeing that the Linksys E3000 might be a good choice (although hoping I don't get the issues some people are getting on the bad reviews on Newegg). I wanted to see about getting a new high powered buffalo router that was wireless N, but it seemed that there was way too many people having issues with it even the ones that got DD-WRT firmware pre-installed already with their router (if they got the new high powered buffalo router).

The E3000 that Admiral Michael mentioned is a quality wireless router. Most places I've seen have it in the $140 range. Cisco/Linksys just released the E4200 which has been getting some really good performance reviews (but is a bit pricier at around $170-$180).

The Netgear WNDR3700 is also a good performer and they should be coming out with a v2 model shortly that fixes some issues people have experienced in the past. Pricing is similar to the E3000 ($130 range) and most tests I've seen/read have it outperforming the E3000 in distance and speed.

The D-Link DIR-655 is older (single band only) but still a decent performer for the price (sub-$100). Not going to match performance of any of those mentioned above though.

DD-WRT is, I believe, supported on all the routers above except for the Cisco E4200.

Ok...

First, not all wireless N routers are gigabit. You will normally pay a premium for gigabit, as well as dual band radios.

If I were to be setting this up, I would definitely invest in a Docsis 3 modem. I would then get a dual band wireless N router with gigabit. I'd run two separate networks, G at 2.4 and N at 5ghz. It also might not be a bad idea to pick up a gigabit switch as from you current needs you would be using all 4 ports on the router. You *may* also benefit from investing in a 2nd (or 3rd) router to use as bridge for your gaming consoles. This would free up some of the wireless bandwidth.

Ok...

First, not all wireless N routers are gigabit. You will normally pay a premium for gigabit, as well as dual band radios.

If I were to be setting this up, I would definitely invest in a Docsis 3 modem. I would then get a dual band wireless N router with gigabit. I'd run two separate networks, G at 2.4 and N at 5ghz. It also might not be a bad idea to pick up a gigabit switch as from you current needs you would be using all 4 ports on the router. You *may* also benefit from investing in a 2nd (or 3rd) router to use as bridge for your gaming consoles. This would free up some of the wireless bandwidth.

true, but all the ones that have been mentioned so far have 4 port gig switches embedded into the router. The Cisco e4200/e3000 as well as the NetGear are both dual band andthe D-Link I brought up I mentioned was single-band only.

Would agree with you that he's going to be pushing the 4 ports mostly out and a small gig switch may not be a bad idea to chain off the router and agree also that depending on distances, additional devices in bridge mode may not be a bad idea.

I see one system (a laptop) that has the requirements for "N" speeds. I would just do as dreamliner77 said and get a gig switch or 2. Then you can keep your router as all LAN traffic would go through the switches. I would also make the one person that demands "N" to buy their own wireless device to add to the network (since looks like they will be the only ones using it). As for modem I think most anything should be fine as long as it's half way descent.

The Netgear WNDR3700 is also a good performer and they should be coming out with a v2 model shortly that fixes some issues people have experienced in the past.

Version 2 has been out for about three weeks now.
So far I have not had any issues.

Frys has it and I think Best Buy as well but you have to know what numbers on the label are V2 as right now the retailers have a mix of V1 and V2.

Attachments

• wndr3700v2.jpg
    wndr3700v2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 207
Hmm. Well thanks for the input about the modem.
As for the router: I also learned that 1 of the people is planning to upgrade that desktop in the future and also go to Wireless N if he gets a new desktop (For some reason, the thought of having a wireless net connection on a desktop just disturbs me).
Yes, I would need quality router in this case. Netgear WNDR3700 is a good performer? Well it seems like a good deal as well.
If I have to, I could probably use my Buffalo router currently if need be for the LAN ports until a switch could be obtained.

About modems....

I had the 6120 but finally exchanged it for a Zoom 5341.

Reason was I want to see what config file is being sent to the modem to make sure I am getting the file/speed I should be getting.
On the 6120 this info does not show up in the log (at least on Comcast) as it is blocked.
To see what config file is being sent you needed to use a program like DHCP Force.

The Zoom modem has a page that shows the config file the modem is using so I know for sure I am receiving the correct speed I am paying for.

Attachments

• config.jpg
    config.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 189
I looked at the Zoom 5341 just now. Even with the compare, it seems to have the same thing. Maybe I just don't know what config you talk about.
It looks to be cheaper or around the same price depending on location.
My location will involve Cox.

Also, I noticed you mentioned DHCP Force. Is it some random underground thing cause i can't seem to find it or places want me to register to get it so I'm unsure about it.

About modems....

I had the 6120 but finally exchanged it for a Zoom 5341.

Reason was I want to see what config file is being sent to the modem to make sure I am getting the file/speed I should be getting.
On the 6120 this info does not show up in the log (at least on Comcast) as it is blocked.
To see what config file is being sent you needed to use a program like DHCP Force.

The Zoom modem has a page that shows the config file the modem is using so I know for sure I am receiving the correct speed I am paying for.

Do you notice any difference in speeds. I'm currently looking at buying a Docsis 3 modem as I'm still using the crappy comcast Ubee one that I was 'rented.' I've had my eye on the 6120 but if this is really better, I'll jump.

Ya speeds seem better as I have four bonded channels downsteam which also helps keep the connection stable if something happens on the network.

Either modem is good.

Attachments

• modem.jpg
    modem.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 175
If you aren't planning to transfer files among computer then N is pointless.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back