New Monitor HD Questions

N

Not Bman

So I just got my new HP LP2475w monitor for Xmas.

I hooked it up through the DVI cable that came with it. My question is about the highest quality I can get with it. Am I seeing full 1080P quality stuff right now? I know there are different types of DVI, what is the best quality DVI, or would the one they gave give the best quality?

Anything else I should know. And no I can't hook it up through HDMI since my videocard does not support it.

well.... technically your monitor isn't 1080p.... it's slightly better. 1920x1200. 1920x1080 is 1080p.

Alright, as long as there ain't anything special.

Looks amazing :) Thanks guys.

One thing, of course this option was always there, but thought I'd ask now. Default it's set to 59 Herts, but can be set to 60. What should it be, I assume it does not matter.

Since I got the monitor there has been a new issue, at the same time I got a new screensaver, so maybe could be both.

When I move the mouse to get from the screensaver back to the desktop, my msn is signed out. No messages, or issues, just signed out. Everything else seems to be fine. I know this might just be a coincidental msn issue, but thought I'd ask since the thread was already here. I am going to test this, wait to see if its everytime, or for long periods with the screensaver, and disable the new one and see what happens.

*Yup, set the new screensaver to 2 minutes, and once it turned on, i waited 30 seconds or less, moved the mouse and msn was signed out. Going to turn it off and see. I am using that PolarClock 3, anyone use this?

*and again, used a different regular screensaver, no issues. So has anyone used the stated screensaver before, and had this issue? Any ideas to fix this?

On another note, this upgrade is awesome, even more for me then most people.

I went from an old 21" Samsung Syncmaster (forget the model name). No cool features, not HD, nothing of the sort. I am now with the nice new 24" HD monitor from HP, the LP2475w as stated before, which over 100 reviews over the web and other sources is the best possible monitor in terms of quality. Research it if you don't know about it.

This monitor is not only beautiful, it's got cool simple features. One of those is a feature most monitors have now, cable management, though I believe this one does it a bit different. Also one other feature I have to mention, is in the settings you can turn off the LED light on the front of the monitor, which I find useful, I hate those bright lights hitting the eye.

Only downside with this monitor, it's size. If you look at pics of it, it is a massive beast of a monitor. But I would have to say worth it!

Congrats on the monitor Bman :) Now you just need to get a second one and join the awesome dual 24" monitor club. :)

i had considered many times getting a second 24" monitor.... but i'd like to get the same monitor, since it usually looks better with two of the same. Bad thing is Gateway changed a LOT of stuff in the FHD2401/2402 compared to the FHD2400.... most notably removing half of the available input connections, and i believe also removing the ability to rotate the screen.

I might end up getting a second one, but have you seen the HP LP2475w monitor? It's crazy huge, 2 of them would be insane! lol

If none of you have been watching CES, my top rated IPS monitor (HP LP2475w) was, and I am pretty sure kicked out of the park by Dell's new 27" IPS monitor. Go check the details out. HOLY CRAP!

Recently, maybe the last 3 days my monitor will not turn off.

Now when I say will not turn off, the screen goes dark, but instead of the Black that is usual, which means it's off. It's a dark grey color. I know its not really off as well because when I move the mouse, bang its back to the desktop. Normally it takes a few seconds.

I reset the monitor settings, I looked in the windows settings, I rebooted. Still can't figure it out. I did just update to the latest ATI drivers, but no one else is having issues, and that is why I rebooted, to see if it would fix it.

Ideas?

I hate to triple post, but I need some help. Anything people....

Every time I have that issue, it usually is from a video player that has hijacked the power savings settings in Windows.

There has been some weird random pauses and exit's from fullscreen while watching something in MPC. Yet I haven't changed anything. How did u fix it?

Unfortunately I haven't really found a "live" fix. Reboot normally fixes it.

Recently, maybe the last 3 days my monitor will not turn off.

Now when I say will not turn off, the screen goes dark, but instead of the Black that is usual, which means it's off. It's a dark grey color. I know its not really off as well because when I move the mouse, bang its back to the desktop. Normally it takes a few seconds.

I reset the monitor settings, I looked in the windows settings, I rebooted. Still can't figure it out. I did just update to the latest ATI drivers, but no one else is having issues, and that is why I rebooted, to see if it would fix it.

Ideas?

You should have no issues with HDCP over DVI as long as the monitor is capable of it or using the DVI to HDMI adapter that should have come with the card. I'm pretty sure all the manufacturers should have included this with the ATI 5xxx cards if the card doesn't have a native HDMI connector but maybe some of them were cheap.

The 10.1 Cats are seriously bad, IMHO. ATI really dropped the ball with the 10.1s. Many people are reporting issues with them. Bugs previously fixed have suddenly reappeared in the new drivers among other issues. The drivers also mis-identify themselves as 9.12 after being installed. After completing an install if you had had Overdrive enabled it normally would reset to being disabled but with the 10.1s it isn't. One of the reported issues by [some] people is that their monitor won't turn off using the 10.1s. Other people report no problem at all. Not everyone is reporting issues but there do seem to be a hight number of people who are if you read the ADM/ATI forums. I'd try uninstalling the 10.1s, rebooting, and then reinstalling the 9.12s. After installing the 9.12s then install the 9.12 hotfix released in December (GPU42ATICatalyst9.12Hotfix) which, among other things, fixed some issues with DiRT2.

Thanks, I am not an ATI forums reader. Makes sense it would be the driver, even though I can't remember when it started. I don't suppose the more major update 10.2 will be coming anytime soon, because of this issue.

I hate uninstalling drivers lol And I am hooked up through HDMI.

**side note, kinda funny that this is the first ATI driver I have used in 8 years or more (and probably last time it was not even my system) and I run into issues with it. And not even small issues. I knew I was going to miss my Nvidia drivers.

Thanks, I am not an ATI forums reader. Makes sense it would be the driver, even though I can't remember when it started. I don't suppose the more major update 10.2 will be coming anytime soon, because of this issue.

I hate uninstalling drivers lol And I am hooked up through HDMI.

**side note, kinda funny that this is the first ATI driver I have used in 8 years or more (and probably last time it was not even my system) and I run into issues with it. And not even small issues. I knew I was going to miss my Nvidia drivers.

ATI releases 1 set of drivers per month. The Catalyst 9.11 were released in 2009 in the 11th month. The 9.12 are the 12th month in 2009. The 10.1s are the 1st month of 2010. See the pattern? :)

The 10.2s won't be out until February and likely mid to late. The 9.12s were released mid December with the 10.1s released on Jan 27th.

Since buying my 4870 and now my 5870 this is the first driver that I actually found issues with and uninstalled.

I knew the pattern. I just would expect a company that makes a mistake to fix it asap.

Glad to hear this is the first issue. Hopefully the last.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back