New Monitor, Bad Colors.

ditchhopper

OSNN Addict
Has anyone got a Samsung 21" syncmaster 1100p plus? It was kind of an impulse buy so I didnt do any research on it before the purchase but it looked good in the store. It has nice features and all but I cant seem to get any decent colors on it.

Whites are really yellow and blacks are hazy grey. I,ve played with various color profiles but just cant seem to find an acceptable setting. Also, it has no problem scaling the entire screen at 1024x768 or 1600x1200, but 1280x960 (my prefered res) wont stretch all the way horizontally even using the monitors adjustment settings. 1280x1024 fills the screen but I've never liked that resolution.

If anyone has some tips or tricks to try I'd really appreciate it. I bought this thing to make 3d work a little easier but if it cant scale full screen at 1280x960 or put out some better colors I'd just be better off going back to my old 19" dell.

Dont know if it matters or not but its currently running at a refresh rate of 85 Hertz on a Radeon 9800 pro and winxp.

did you make sure that you installed the correct drivers for the new monitor? it sounds to me as if it is running under the dell ones.

Yea, shouldve mentioned that. I did install the drivers and the natural colors program that came with it but it didnt seem to improve a thing. Photoshop wouldnt run the color profile that the software installed so I disabled it. Never needed any dell drivers as the old monitor always looked good with just the standard windows drivers.

changing the refresh rate usually helps when the display is at incorrect proportions. Is 85Hz the highest that it will work in that resolution?

Without drivers it has a max rate of 85 hertz. With drivers it can go up to 100 hertz at 1280x960 but the higher I set it the smaller the actual screen size is? The closest it comes to full screen is when its set at 75 hertz and it shrinks in size as I set the refresh rate higher.

I have reinstalled the drivers that it came with and am playing around with it but no big improvements yet. I have a secondary 15" lcd monitor running at 1024x768 that I've tried disabling to see if that helped but its still the same.

ditchhopper said:
Without drivers it has a max rate of 85 hertz. With drivers it can go up to 100 hertz at 1280x960 but the higher I set it the smaller the actual screen size is? The closest it comes to full screen is when its set at 75 hertz and it shrinks in size as I set the refresh rate higher.

I have reinstalled the drivers that it came with and am playing around with it but no big improvements yet. I have a secondary 15" lcd monitor running at 1024x768 that I've tried disabling to see if that helped but its still the same.
Sounds quite strange. My old 17" CRT used to default to 72Hz at 1280x960 which appeared like a sort of rectangle (huge gaps at the top and bottom) however changing it to the recommended 85HZ filled the screen out nicely after some minor fiddling with the size controls :)

Break, halt, stop!!!!!!!!

Samsung makes great monitors that are plug and play. If you are having these kinds of problems something is very wrong.

1) Go to the samnsung menu (front panel buttons) and select restore dfaults. DO the same thing with your video card properties.

2) Go to device manager and select the display (monitor not vid card) and uninstall it it. It will reinstall after reboot with the right drivers.

3). Are you sure the monitor and video card are rated to do 85 hz at 1280? That's getting kinda high which would explain why it is narrow. Just because an option shows up in windows does not mean you teh hardware can actually run it.

If after all this the display looks crappy take the monitor back and have them plug it into one of their comps at the store and see if it looks bad. If it does swap it for another monitor.

I'm loving my samsung and so is everyone else I'ev talked to. But even the best make a lemon once in a while.

Well thanks for the help everyone. Spent all day yesterday messing with it and couldnt get anything resolved.

Took it back to the store, they didnt have a replacement, they refused to give me a refund, they didnt even offer to plug it in and have a look themselves. I was forced to use my "angry voice".

Words were exchanged, threats were made, the refund was granted. :)

Too bad too, cause this monitor had excellent specs and I would have loved to have worked with it. :( I'm more than willing to check out the same make and model somewhere else just to be sure but if anyone has any good recommendations from a different companies 21" monitor I'd be very happy to hear them. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back