New memory causes reload

wigan_ukmale

OSNN Junior Addict
I have recently bought a new 512MB DDR400 PC3200 (elixir brand) stick for my pc to go with an existing 512Mb DDR400 PC3200 stick already installed.

I have an epox 8RDA+ motherboard with 3 DIMMs and the manual states that for 2 sticks of 64-bit memory they should be installed in DIMM#2 & 3 and for 2 sticks of 128-bit memory they should be installed in DIMM#1&2 or 1&3.

I have tried several conbinations as I'm not sure if the memory is 64-bit or 128-bit and all that happens is either the pc doesn't boot at all, or it boots to the desktop and then reloads.

Could this be incompatability between memory brands?
Any other ideas?

Cheers

Mark

sounds like the memory doesnt like each other what happens when you put one in? (one at a time but check all)

and as allways google memtest86 for the best memory diagnostic software.. will tell you if you have a bad peice.

i havent slept much so i may be missing something but keep us informed

make sure the memories are the same brands could be the problem... unless you bought them in a pack then they are the same

I thought of that as it was suggested that the brands be the same, but I'm pretty sure they are different. However I have eliminated this by replacing my existing stick in DIMM#2 with the new stick and the pc didn't even boot up (got the sirens warning of an error).

I'm going to try memtest86 tonight when I get home from work and then take it from there, maybe go back to the supplier for them to test & replace.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks sraycoz, memtest86 confirmed that the new memory is faulty as it showed up over 300 errors, whereas the original memory stick showed none. I'll get the new memory replaced.

Thanks again.

Mark

After putting this faulty memory into my pc I am unable to access my cdrom or usb pen drive as it keeps saying incorrect function. Any ideas?

The new memory works fine, but still having problems accessing some drives that say incorrect function, such as CD-ROM, USB pen & floppy drive has disappeared altogether. Does anyone have any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back