New Mac

EuroTrash

Coaster Live!
Aight gang, I just bought myself a G4 iBook 12.1" 1.33ghz for about $600. :devious: Pretty stoked cause my last one was jacked after about 2 weeks of having it. So now I ask you guys what I need to get for it as well as the apps/programs that I need to put on it. Also what games are gonna be ok to play on it? (World of Warcraft? Quake 4?) I see what SPeedY_B has posted, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

The apps you need is kind of subjective based on what you do, but these are ones I suggest.

Free
Flip4Mac - WMV player
VLC (VideoLAN Client)
Camino - alternative browser
CandyBar - easily change icons
Gmail Notifier - if you have a Gmail account
Proteus - all-in-one IM client
Textwrangler - code editor (if you do any web stuff)

Not Free
iLife
iWork
Transmit - FTP client
Roxio Toast Titanium

cool stuff, I was looking at a couple of those. I thought about picking up the microsoft office for it or would that be a waste? I guess I wouldn't need to if there was a converter for office documents to work on it, that is if they don't already.

You can export Pages (iWork) documents into Microsoft Word format. The only reason I could see needing Office would be for Excel -- don't get it for Word or PowerPoint.

Still though, does anyone know of any good games that work w/ it? I know WoW works w/ macs but what about my model?

eurotrash said:
Also what games are gonna be ok to play on it? (World of Warcraft? Quake 4?)
They have those for mac?!?

Apps - I would recomend to get Azureus if you use torrents, and also Taco HTML edit if you plan to do any web designing- I highly recommend downloading GIMP whether you like playing with pics or not because sooner or later you will find a use for it.

All of the above are free. Plus go to download.com and look at the mac section. They have the best of free downloads updated often.

EDIT: also, a good ftp client alternative would be CyberDuck. It's open source and it's pretty decent. I've been using it now for a few months and really like it.

TextMate
OmniGraffle
Audio Hijack
Colloquy
Proteus
EvoCam
Handbrake
VLC
AppZapper (great for uninstalling apps, really worth it)

Jets'n'Guns is a pretty fun retro game

http://adiumx.com/ FTW.

On games, you're not going to be playing games such as Q4 on an iBook, it struggles along on my Dual G4 PowerMac :D On my iBook, I've played Quake 1/2/3, The Sims 2 (low settings), Doom 3 (ultra-low settings), UT 2003/2004... not very demanding games.

As for apps, if you need an app for a specific need, then ask for that, else people will be recommending applications to perform tasks you may never need :)

i play diablo 2, world of warcraft and lots of other high graphics games on a 1.33 ppc ibook g4, and its fine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back