NEW Longhorn/MSN/Hotmail concepts!

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Been seeing a lot of such interesting stuff lately. First, these two Longhorn screenshots. I'm not sure if they're already in any current internal builds, but they're concept shots most probably:

Longhorn

Longhorn Live:
lhl.jpg

3D view:
3dviewlh.jpg

MSN Wave 11

Neowin has some concept shots of the next iteration of Hotmail and MSN Messenger. The Hotmail interface looks absolutely sweet (think Outlook 2003!): MSN Hotmail Concept
Read more and see the MSNM concept shots here: http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=26092&category=main

w00t.gif

nice shots mr ryder

microswoft doesn't expect to release a 32 bit longhorn...I'm suprised there are even betas of longhorn that are 32 bit

perris said:
microsoft doesn't expect to release a 32 bit longhorn...I'm suprised there are even betas of longhorn that are 32 bit
Where did you read this?

I'd be very surprised if there was no 32-bit longhorn.

SPeedY_B said:
I'd be very surprised if there was no 32-bit longhorn.
I doubt it. I haven't seen something like this coming from a reliable source, which is why I asked perris where he read this. There's a lot of speculation (and misinformation) floating around.

Update: From an interview with Jim Allchin:
So, will Longhorn be based on a 64-bit architecture?

We will have a 64-bit version of Longhorn, no question. Will we have a 32-bit version? The plan is yes, but now, if we learn a lot between now and then, that might change. But right now we are staying the course and it is so hard to predict how fast the run rate will be. We know where AMD [Advanced Micro Devices Inc.] will be, we know pretty much where Intel [Corp.] will be. I think we just have to wait a little bit.

So, if you decided not to have a 32-bit version of Longhorn, those customers would not get Longhorn?

That's why we're not going down that road. There's no reason why we have to do that. It's sort of an academic discussion.

well the main longhorn has to be 64 bit since the next generation is 64, or they'd do what they did to windows 98, from 16bit to 32bit

I have to hand it to netryder...as of now, the prediction that longhorn will be exclusively 64 bit is nothing more then a rumor....the rumor is not credible either.

that, combined with the fact there are 32 bit alpha's would lead us to beleive there wll be 32 bit os's

but, personally, I can't beleive there will even be a market for a 32 bit os by the time longhorn is released

perris said:
I have to hand it to netryder...as of now, the prediction that longhorn will be exclusively 64 bit is nothing more then a rumor....the rumor is not credible either.

that, combined with the fact there are 32 bit alpha's would lead us to beleive there wll be 32 bit os's

but, personally, I can't beleive there will even be a market for a 32 bit os by the time longhorn is released
As Allchin stated, there is definitely going to be a 64-bit version, and you'd be perfectly correct to assume that this would be the dominant version by mid 2006.

What we have to keep in mind though, is that Microsoft has to be, and is usually very careful about backward-compatibility (which is why XP can still run apps from the Windows 95 days). Isolating 32-bit system users wouldn't be a very good idea, since not everyone has the latest and greatest all the time. This is the main reason why the presentation subsystem in Longhorn will be multi-tiered (this has been more or less confirmed), so that those with high-end graphics cards will be able to take full advantage of the new user experience, while those with previous-generation hardware will still be able to use the core operating system, without having to tax their system with the eye-candy.

It's a good way of going about it. :)

The hotmail screen shot looks just like Outlook 2003. :p

ming said:
The hotmail screen shot looks just like Outlook 2003. :p
Yeah, it's really nice. It would be really sweet if you could drag and drop messages into those folders on the left like you can within Outlook.
With something like this, I might actually start using webmail again. :p

Those screens are really sweet. I am really looking forward to the release of this. And yes the hotmail does look just like outlook 2003. Really nice looking ...

That theme being used in the live pic is awesome looking, I would love to find one like it ..

Johnny said:
That theme being used in the live pic is awesome looking, I would love to find one like it ..
That's Aero Glass...unfortunately, the XP skinning engine doesn't support something like that yet. :)

There are going to be realesed several versions of Longhorn.The 64bit you are saying is the Titanium version. There is going to be a 32bit version and a server version. This is what has leaked so far.

There was always going to be the 3 versions anyway. 32-bit coz a lot of people are likely to stick with their P4's, while many others have AMD64.

Longhorn looks very sexy now, just wonder if my pc will be able to run it :)
New hotmail looks gorgeous too.

Right now I use 4074 but when i reformated my main drive with xp it deleted the boot.ini and now i can boot into longhorn. I tried making a new line to dual boot but i cant do it but thats for a different thread and i aint to worried about it right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back