• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New laptop

U

UofEEE

I'm replacing my current desktop (custom) with a laptop....I need some help.

Current sys:
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
512 Meg PC2700
30 gig hd
Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 64 meg

Dell Inspiron 5100:
Intel Pentium 4 2.4
512 Meg PC2100
40 gig hd
ATI Radeon 7500 32 meg

My question is, does anyone have experience with Dells? I need a laptop that will pretty much replace my system and will be as fast or faster. I don't play games that much (ghost recon, that's it). Does anyone have any advice? I've got a good price on the Dell right now, so does anyone have a comparable laptop in the range of 900-1200 dollars? I need it fast and reliable. Thanks!

Hehe...look at my sig :D
It's a wonderful machine. I'd say go for it. But keep in mind that since it's a P4 processor and not a P4-M, it does run on the hotter side. Not a problem for me, since I'm using it as a desktop replacement.
And the battery life will definitely amaze you. ;)

U

UofEEE

NetRyder is right on the money, I'm glad he's had a good experience with the 5100. One of my friends has one and it is one amazing machine. It's a desktop replacement for me (otherwise I'd go with the Centrino based 600m). I need something that is basically the same and if not better than what I have right now, and the 5100 hits the spot. Thanks for all your replies, and even if it runs a little hot, it won't run like my Athlon XP which requires mucho cooling. Looks like I'm done Intel bashing now... :D

Congrats...hope you get your big UPS box soon ;)

Right now, they're giving you $200 off, free shipping and a free upgrade to a 40GB hard drive (from a 30GB one). The offer ends on July 2nd.
You just might want to wait until the free CD-RW/DVD Combo drive offer comes again. I think that's a really good deal, and it comes up every now and then. But then you might lose out on any one of the current offers. You decide :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies