New Laptop Computer Suggestions

legodude83089

OSNN Dude
I'm looking for a new laptop and would like some advise so I figured why make a new thread. Here's what I want.

17" 1920x1200 screen
Penyr 2.5 Ghz+
2 GB+ RAM
Blu-ray ROM drive
NVIDIA 8700m GT or 8800m GTX :)
Wireless N (Is it worth it?)
High Capacity Battery

I looked at Sager as mentioned previously and configured one up and it's $2500 with a blu-ray burner and the 8700m GT. I'd prefer to cut some of the cost by getting a blu-ray read only drive and get the 8800m GTX but Sager apparently doesn't offer blu-ray read only drives.

I also looked at Dell and configured one for $2300 with a blu-ray read only drive and the 8700m GT but I'd really like to get the 8800m GTX. Do you think I can find a laptop that meets my specifications for $2500 with the 8800m GTX?

I don't necessarily need to get the laptop now so is there is anything new that I should wait for until early August?

I've decided it's probably better for me economically to get a decent 15.4" laptop and then build myself a new gaming desktop. Do you think an 8600m GT can handle games such as Starcraft II at 1680x1050 or should I just settle with 1280x800 for the laptop?

I made a wishlist on Newegg for the gaming rig. Here's what it has.

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-11
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

All together it's $1114.22 with shipping. A much better value compared to a laptop equivalent.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:
Re: New Laptop suggestion!!??

That's much more reasonable in my opinion. As far as Starcraft 2 goes, I have no idea and nor does anyone else. The games official requirements have not been released yet... or the game for that matter.

I think you are going the right direction, if you are still willing to spend $2500+ total, you can spend the remaining (minus the $1114.22) to a really nice 15.4" laptop with a decent ATI or Nvidia mobile card in it and you will be more than set.

Is ibuypower a good place to go to get the laptop? I configured one up on their website. Heres what it has.

1440x900 screen
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5Ghz)
Nvidia 8600m GT 512MB
2 GB of RAM
Wireless N

Cost is $1,265.00.

Which brings me to $2379.22 for both systems. I don't really need the systems until August and even then I could do without a new desktop for a while so are there any new developments from Nvidia, Ati, Intel, or AMD that I should be aware of. I know the 9800 GTX has the same core as the 8800 GTX (G92) and the 8800 GTX was launched 17 months earlier than the 9800 GTX so I don't know if this is just me speculating but surely Nvidia has something in development not too far off.

Re: Computer Suggestions

Systems seem decent and iBuyPower has mixed reviews, but mileage may vary.

I've never heard of that site, but that doesn't mean much. Are they selling Sager, or are you going another route?

Re: Computer Suggestions

Ugh.. this was started in another thread and then he started a new thread on saz's request but the old thread was still active.

Posts merged.. and thread move to general hardware.

I'm not trying to push Sager on you, but here are some resellers that I know of that have a good reputation.

http://www.powernotebooks.com/ (Dont mind the terrible site design, they are great guys)

http://www.discountlaptops.com/ (Purchased my Sager from here)

http://www.pctorque.com/

And finally, here is a good resource if you looking to learn more about Sager. I know a lot of people might not "trust" a non name brand like this, so hopefully this can help you educate yourself and help you make a decision. Also there are more resellers listed at the end of the post.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91510

Thanks fitz.

This Sager looks like a good deal. http://www.discountlaptops.com/index.php?section=configurator&regular_model_id=1525&model_id=1526 I might just opt for the 1680x1050 screen and just run some games at non-native resolutions. Thanks Aprox.

The 17" HP's are nice and cheap but they only offer the 8600m GS graphics card. So I think I'll go with the Sager for $1324 at xoticpc.com which has 4 GB of ram instead of 2 GB like discountlaptops had. Here's the URL http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2092-custom-laptop-built-compal-jfl92-p-2347.html?wconfigure=yes. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, the display in the link you posted says Glossy. That means it may have really bad reflections making it hard to read in bright lighting conditions. I found glossy display finishes really bad when gaming because the overall display is often dark.
I'd do the Matte finish.

It only comes with 2 gig RAM. Get 4 gig when running Vista.

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure if I want matte or glossy. I always thought the glossy made the picture more vibrant and colorful at the cost of reflections. The one I'm getting will have 4 GB of RAM. Here's the full specs.

SAGER NP2092 Custom Laptop (Built on Compal JFL92)
- 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050) 2092
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- ~Intel® T9300 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo 2.5GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB - 2092
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8600GT DX10
- ~ 4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~ 200GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - 2092
- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
- Internal Bluetooth
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Carying Case Optional (Select if desired)
- Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
- Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- None Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Tech Support

I got the laptop in and I'm very impressed. It plays better than my desktop which I was pretty surprised about considering it's a laptop. I've got some pics of it. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 89
I'm glad you like it! I'm happy you went with Sager, I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Those things are built very well huh?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back