new hookup

D

da rock

what info do i need if any,to use my existing dsl con on a new sys
i'm about to put togather. i'll be taking my old sys offline until i see that my new one runs stable, then i want to network the two
togather.my new mobo has onboard lan and my old sys a linksys
10/100 nic w/win98se,my new os is xp home ed. any info will
be a great help!

thanks , da rock!

:)

Rock,
"Can you smell what I am cookin?"
Anyway, check your network and see if you are recieving you IP via DHCP.

sit one: If DHCP, do nothing just plug in the new machine and surf.

sit two: If not DHCP, copy all your settings for you nic. IP, SUBNET, Default Gateway, DNS. Put these in your new machine and surf.

-O

"I Opt to be Nasty"

If its DSL you may use PPPoE. If you have to log on to use your DSL, you have PPPoE. Make sure you have a copy of your ISPs connection program

thanks for your reply! i've heard that xp would pretty much set itself up,but this is my 1st time putin a pc togather so i want to be sure i get it right the 1st time!(i hope!)

:cool:

If it's PPPoE DSL, you should be all good. The only trip in the whole process would be having to call your DSL/Cable provider and register the MAC address of the NIC in the new computer (assuming you're plugging the connection there instead of your old box). I usually bypass this by just using a PCI NIC to connect to the 'net and move that to my primary box of the day. Otherwise, I use the onboard NIC or a 2nd PCI NIC to go to a hub and plug other boxen there. Now if only I a KVM to make this stuff easier...
/L.A

lactic.acid,just bought a generic geforce 2 ti myself, what drvs are you using?(for xp home)
thanks all,
da rock:cool:

I was using the latest (23.83??) downloaded from nvidia, but I rolled back to 22.5 because I've been having some issues, but I determined last night the issues are with my scsi controller, not my video card. Oh, and I'm using xp pro.
/L.A

thanks for info,i'll try the 22.5's and see what happens!:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back