works
ghost old hhd over to new hhd
remove old hhd
boot new hhd
login problems
remove new, enter old
old burns up.....WHRRRRR then *down*
so im stuck with a burnt up hhd and a hhd that i cant get into
ive tried booting to winxp cd to fix new hhd xp login probs....been unable to boot to it

Administrator account doesnt work
my account, logs to a grey screen, like a desktop, but then stalls out
in safe mode my account loads, logs out, saves, back to login all in like 3 secs

im off to get that XP cd to boot.....any advices?
please help me, AAAAAAAh implosion is highly likely

60gb...wow. Atleast you have plenty of space. What version of ghost you using? Im wondering if ghost has a flaw for XP. I have read another post in here that they said ghost image gave them login probs. I use ghost myself.. a free dos version that comes with motherboards and i have had no probs with XP, i just cant run it in windows like i could 9x.

Anyways, try to reimage... if that doesnt work, hopefully your hard drive has multiple partitions so you can move everything over so you dont lose everything and do a fresh install.

if you do get a disk, hopefully it will repair it and all of this will be void. :D

If your drive isnt partitioned let me know, i have a floppy version (1 disk) of partition magic that will allow you to move partitions without losing data. If ya need it, pm me.

yeah

ive been unable to get the winxp cd to boot
CD ATAPI:
Press Any Key to Boot from CD.....
push a button and i get a blinking cursor
any reasons you guys can think of?
i'll get on a roomates XP Home and make a boot disk later today, see if that helps

also...for the login of my account, i've waited long enough (5min) for it to do something, i get an error about not being able to validate windows XP, or something, im at work now, so in a few hours ill run it again and post the exact message....

pc_tek, yes it is partitioned
8gig partition replicating the old, now burnt hhd (exept the new image was 40meg more full..odd), and the remaining space...
if i do end up copying the partition over, and doing a clean install of windows, will i be able to transfer over the programs, settings (xept for logins of course :) over?, obviously data no problem, but the proggies will end up workin again on the new windows from the old?

lol i think im being repititive and confusing...sorry if i am

ya know
this wouldnt be as bad as it is if my fuckin original 8gig hadnt blown up out of no where for an unapparent reason to me...AAH

just a thought...

hi shokpin,

if i were on ur position...i would install xp rather than ghosting from an image.

good luck!

cant quite do that anymore
as the original image is burnt up

error message
A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the licence for this computer. Error code: 0x80090006
aaah...frustrated

woohah!
look at me
im on my old hhd, its not completely dead yet!
fyi all....last night, it made a really loud short burst of a WHIR
blue scree, boot again, "unknown hard drive error"
figured it was burnt

just outta curiosity i put it in today
it works....but it DID make that huge whir....uh oh!

anyways...through research there IS a problem with XP and ghosting images from one hhd to another, causing the login problems
now.....i havent seen a really comprehensive drive on how to avoid, or fix the problem....so as long as i can keep this old hhd up im going to try some things and sug's out....
wish me luck i guess eh? :rolleyes:

Did you use the Western Digital Diag. Tools to install your HD?

The Software should have come with the HD, if not you can download it from the internet and load it onto a 3.5 disk.

Once you've got the program, you'll boot up the 3.5. It will partition your drive for you and copy the other drive over. You really don't need to ghost.

Additionally, during this process make sure you're keeping track of the jumper settings on the HDs. Master vs Slave. If you accidently jumper the HD wrong, you'll get some weird sounds coming from the HD. Also, since you've upgraded to a ATA 100, make sure you're computer's BIOS can handle ATA 66 or 100. And make sure that you use the connector that came with the HD. It is a 80 pin connector, the old HD is a 40 pin. You don't want to use the 80 pin connector with your old HD. But you can use the 40 pin connector with the new HD (just not as fast). So I'd use the 40 pin connector to setup everything first, then put the 80 pin connector after you're finished.

Final note: make sure you pay attention to the Utility Program prompts when using the 3.5 Diag. Tools. You'll need to answer some questions about format, partition, and copying the old harddrive.

Hang in there...I've replaced many HDs, and it's never a fun time.

Gib

thanks gib
much information
but my drive did not come with any cables or software
i'll d/l the software, but it says it does not support XP/2k
i am using the ide cables that came with my mobo
which i would assume are 80pin (abit kt7a-raid), i have been using them with the old hhd since i upgraded the mobo/processor
no problems up till now...but maybe its just been waitin for the perfect time :)
the kt7a-r's do support ATA 100
so that should be fine..which is why im assuming the cables that came with the mobo are 80pin

The reason I asked the question about format is that if your old HD is 16 or 32 FAT, then you should be able to use the WD software program. On the over hand, if your new hd is format in NTFS copying from a 16 or 32 FAT hd won't work. You'll need to make sure the new hd is formatted to a 16 or 32 FAT.

If your old HD is formatted in NTFS...then you've reached the limits of my technical expertise. You might check on a software solution like Partition Magic 7.0.

Finally, you can have mult-partitions on the new drive so you can multi-boot XP, 98, or Linux.

Gib

my old one is on ntsf

i cant get the WD Tools to create the diskette
ack, oh so confused and stuck

if anyone has any experience, or knows of, the best ways to upgrade from an old hhd to a new hhd keeping XP/sofware/settings/LOGINS all intact i'd love an email or im
email = shokpin@hotmail.com
AIM = shokpin

please!

EAT IS MS

alright
ive done it
IVE DONE IT
hah
it came down to the windows activation crap
the new hhd wasnt registered in there and windows didnt like it
SO....
you had to use sysprep.exe from the Tools, Deploy.cab from the windows CD
heres how i did it...im sure there are a few other variations on these steps that would work as well

using Partition Magic 7 i told it to copy the boot partition over to the new hhd, something that requires a restart

next step is to run Sysprep (after an extraction from the cd and renaming the folder its in to Sysprep)....after sysprep is loaded use the Factory switch (press the button)
it will shutdown windows, reboot the machine, then windows will copy the partition over for you as PM7 has told it to, when thats is finished windows is booted like its the first time its been booted outside of a factory...my best guess...reseting the essential hardware it recognizes...
all is well

this 'license authorization violation' occurs using, as far as i can tell, any ghost/image/partition copy program when cloning a system to a new harddrive (even on similar drives)

the previous steps were my way of avoiding this problem
im sure there are variations in this that will allow it to be done on any XP compatible cloning software, i just happened to use PM7
thanks for all the help from you all
especially talijuma who forced me to stop acting like a blubbering idiot and start thinking!:D

i think this has helped me solve my most recent problem. I tried Drive Copy 4 to copy my master drive to a new HD and no luck, then I bought Norton Ghost. IT copied however it hangs during the boot after it says it has found the boot record on IDE0. And I am guessing its because of the diffferent boot drive. ugh. I dont have PM7 and dont really want to spend MORE money on this. Im to the point of a fresh start with this HD however I will lose basically everything

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back