new hdd install

mooo

thecyberninja
I am trying to put in a new 80gig hd in a windows ME box, I put it in, then set it as slave, bios reconizes it. Windows boots up and i expect the "new hardware found" box to come up or something saying generic hard disk, but nothing. I go to device manager I see
Primary IDE controller
Secondary IDE controller

so its up, but i have to format it.. I try and go to MMC like in XP but it doesn't work.. soooo now to the question, how do i install the hd in ME?

edit:: this might need to be moved to OS or other hardware, forgot all about those was kind of in a hurry to post :(

well since the HD isnt formatted, ME wont see it. You need to reboot to command prompt (or use a 98 boot disk). Once in the command prompt then you can format it. Make sure you dont format c:\ hehehe

You will need to use fdisk from a boot disk to create a partition before ME will see it. Once you create the partition you can format it from the same boot disk or from within ME.

penguin said:
You will need to use fdisk from a boot disk to create a partition before ME will see it. Once you create the partition you can format it from the same boot disk or from within ME.

actually, i'm pretty sure this can be done from the command prompt without a boot disk (just don't touch the disk the OS is on)

damn no wonder ;p
i just went to cmd from windows dir and didn't boot out.. thanks for the help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back