New Hard Drive

wessleym

OSNN Addict
What is the best and fastest 80 gigabyte hard drive I could buy that does NOT use SCSI?.

But the Barracuda is an Ultra ATA/100. Doesn't that 100 mean it has a maximum bandwidth of 100 megabytes per second? I've seen others with Ultra ATA/133, 133 megabytes per second. Also, the Barracuda only has a 2-megabyte buffer. I've seen ones with 8-megabyte buffers. Are you sure Barracudas are the best, or just the best value? Again, to anyone else who posts, I'd like the fastest and best drive out there that doesn't use SCSI. Thanks Pasty and anyone else who replies.

Thanks, HandyBuddy, but I'm not sure that's big enough. It's only 36 gigabytes, right? But that's probably the fastest hard drive out there. If it were only bigger, that'd probably be the one I'd want? Thanks again. Does anybody have any other ideas?

You didn't say whether it had to be ATA or SATA.

And yes, you should absolutely get one with an 8Meg cache.

And - this is in the wrong forum. :eek:

I'm trying to look at both SATA and Ultra ATA. My Alienware will do both, and I'm trying to just find the best out there.

I would get the WesternDigital 800JB. Its 80GB Parallel ATA/133 with 8MB Cache.

JJB

$110 for a 160GB 7200 RPM Samsung (a brand I own and love for their quietness :D) at this site if you want to check it out, too.

Sometime in November Western Digital is going to release a 74GB version of the Raptor.

Hey, thanks, rnielsen151. That's music to my ears. The Raptors seemed like an awesome drive during my last few days of researching. I guess I'll wait until November unless somebody else knows something. Thanks, everybody!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back