New GRID Demo

emeritus

Beware the Monkeys!!!
Anyone who likes racing games, head on over to www.codemasters.com and download the GRID demo. I have replayed it several times and I love it. The game is supposed to be out on June 3rd!!!

have the demo on my xbox :)

Got real friendly with the fence on the DTM track :D

The first couple of tries, the fence was my friend too! LOL

I'll give it a download to see how it is. Does it run better than DiRT does?

It ran great on my system @1920 x 1200, with every thing except AA maxxed!!! I never had any issue with DiRT.

well.. the game seems cool

but i must have smth wrong with my controller setup cos my car slides like its on an ice track :D hehe

I had that problem when I turned off traction control. A little to realistic with assists off!

i expect physics realism on par with forza 2 or gt4 anymore. so grid was just a bit too arcade-ish for me. the crash replay thing is awesome, though.

Like i've said many times before about it..... why would you want realism in a racing game? Don't we play games to get AWAY from reality? And with a lot of the cars they have in games like the GT series.... how do YOU know it's realistic? have you driven every single car in the game, at the speeds that you drive in the game?

I'd much rather play arcade-ish racing games, like the Burnout series. They're just more fun if you ask me.

And i tried Grid.... if you ask me, it doesn't really seem Arcade-like. more like ricer-fan's-greatest-dream-like. hard as hell to keep the cars going in a straight line..... even using a keyboard where the up arrow gives it gas. Just like epk said.... it's like the entire track is a sheet of ice. I've heard of oversteer and understeer.... but either one is highly likely when you're trying to "drift" in the game. Seems like you either start to drift, and 5 feet later you're doing a donut in the corner.... don't give it JUST enough braking and smash into a wall at a rather nice speed..... or you actually DO drift around the corner, but due to the ice-track effect, you can't get the car going straight enough down the track to make it between two walls even if they're as wide as an airport landing strip.

yep, that's exactly what im talkin bout

the xbox360 controller makes it a bit easier to handle, but i still think its way too slide-y for my taste

and i dont know why they've done it like that, its neither arcade nor realistic

You all playing it wrong. Its an ice skating game, not a driving game :)

Like i've said many times before about it..... why would you want realism in a racing game? Don't we play games to get AWAY from reality? And with a lot of the cars they have in games like the GT series.... how do YOU know it's realistic? have you driven every single car in the game, at the speeds that you drive in the game?

I'd much rather play arcade-ish racing games, like the Burnout series. They're just more fun if you ask me.
we, the simulation racers, want realism so we can escape the reality of obeying speed limits and traffic laws in our daily cars. we want to enter another reality where we have an accurate digital copy of a real $300,000 car and go balls-out on a accurate digital copy of a real track with all of nature's physics in place. to test real driving skill--or as real as you can get in front of a tv--which is why i have the logitech 900-degree wheel/pedal stup.

Grid just does not feel right to us. for instance, you can take turns way faster than possible in reality. i'm sure they did this to cater more to the arcade racer crowds like the ridge racer series and many others have done. i would have to play it some more to remember what else made me twitch.

All you have to do, is turn off all the assists...then you get all the ice skating, I mean realism you want!

All you have to do, is turn off all the assists...then you get all the ice skating, I mean realism you want!
my first crack at the game was with all assists off and it wasn't very realistic. rubber adhesion was weird. too much grip if you keep it straight, not enough grip if you go sideways, if i remember right. like they wanted to please the racers and drifters. real cars don't feel like they're ice skating.

have you played gt5 prologue or forza 2?

exactly... plus cars skate even with the assists on (maybe not as bad, but i've only tried like that and its already a lot)

no.... assist on or off, it still feels like you're driving a car with wax tires on a freshly waxed road with wax stones used in the wax-rete mix. ...... think i went a bit overboard with the "wax" there.

Taurus: again.... how do you KNOW it's realistic? Have you driven said $300,000 cars? how about at the speeds in the game? almost certain you haven't. Hell.... rather doubt that the majority of people here have.... or even came close to driving a car remotely that costly. To put it quite simply.... we don't know whether it's 100% realistic or not. All we have is the developer's word to go by at this point.... and they could basically say whatever they please, and people would believe it. For all we know, the only cars that are 100% realistic are the standard cars that might be in the game.

Why escape reality to enter reality? I'd much rather go "balls out" in a car that goes extremely fast, than go "balls out" in a "realistic" car that goes "realistic" speeds. Games like San Fransisco Rush.... Xtreme G..... F-Zero..... the aforementioned Burnout series. If i wanted to enter a different reality in games.... i'd rather do it with something other than a racing game. Take for instance a first person shooter. Shooting people in a game can be quite realistic.... quite fun..... ZERO consequence. Take that to the streets though.... and your a** is toast. Racing..... can be realistic.... but you can technically do that on the street... and only have a possibility of consequences.... should you be caught by police.

Taurus: again.... how do you KNOW it's realistic? Have you driven said $300,000 cars? how about at the speeds in the game? almost certain you haven't. Hell.... rather doubt that the majority of people here have.... or even came close to driving a car remotely that costly. To put it quite simply.... we don't know whether it's 100% realistic or not. All we have is the developer's word to go by at this point.... and they could basically say whatever they please, and people would believe it. For all we know, the only cars that are 100% realistic are the standard cars that might be in the game.
in a realistic racing game, it just feels right. ask any person who's into them. they well all pretty much agree which games are realistic and which aren't. the fact that everyone can admit that grid has a wierd "ice-skating" or "wax" feel to it and screaming proof that it's physics don't match what we're all used to: reality. you don't have to drive a car to 180mph to say, "okay, so grid is realistic after all." it's all very much tactile, even at lower speeds.

the realistic games end up putting a lot of time into suspension geometries, spring/damper rates, aerodynamics, weight balance, power curves, etc... each unique to each car and as close as they're development budget allows them to get to the real car.

again.... you don't know it's real... or close to real.... unless you've had a chance to drive the car. Hell.... look at the original Koenigsegg. Looked beautiful.... looked like it would drive beautifully.... but it's handling sucked without a wing on the back. Nobody really knew that until it was track tested. nothing is known... or even really "felt".... until it's tried. I've seen the videos for GT5.... where they emphasise a sh*tload, that they're aiming for the most realistic driving experience, to make it feel like you're driving the real car. Honestly.... i don't see the point. If you ask me... Test Drive Unlimited was probably the most enjoyable game for me to play.... and that was an arcade style game. it gave you the feeling of the speed behind the cars. that's all i'd really care about. Wouldn't want to drive a supercar and feel like i'm going slow. Also wouldn't want to drive a supercar and think "hmm.... can the car actually handle this in real life?". Just want to drive in a way that one couldn't really drive in real life.

Geez...I was just pointing out a good looking, seemingly at the time, fun to drive racing game. I didn't mean to get everyone into a debate. It was a fun demo to me, and I can't wait until its out. Remeber, it does state at the beginning of the demo, that it does represent the final product, maybe they will have tweaked a few things, and it will be a better all around game.

i just stated it's too arcade-like for me and us who are into realism-based racing games. ED's trying to convince me otherwise. I realize there is a huge market for the Ridge Racing/Need For Speed/Test Drive types... I'm just not one of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back