New gfx card recommendations

A

anewhope

I'm looking to spend around £120 on a new gfx card to replace my GF2 Pro. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but do enjoy playing games sometimes, the majority of my pc use is watching vids, chatting and general messing around..

One feature I would like is the ability to use dual monitors.. So anyone recommend anything to me?

Originally posted by anewhope
I'm looking to spend around £120 on a new gfx card to replace my GF2 Pro. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but do enjoy playing games sometimes, the majority of my pc use is watching vids, chatting and general messing around..

One feature I would like is the ability to use dual monitors.. So anyone recommend anything to me?

the 9600pro should be right around your price range... a nice card... nice 2d/3d and good dual monitor as well (dual 400mhz ramdacs... )

incl fullstream support in hardware to clean up divx rendered files... and offers best video out image quality to tv...

Are there any manufacturers that I should avoid? I've not been keeping up on gfx cards recently :)

Are there any manufacturers that I should avoid? I've not been keeping up on gfx cards recently :)

most of the new cards coming out are using generally reference designs... ergo you are unlikely to go wrong with any of them... since the overall design is the same... :)

only the cooler or pcb color are likely to change... the rest of the card is pretty much the same...

GF2 MX 32MB

I recommend the GF2 MX 32MB. It runs web pages pretty well, and it's a lot quieter than these new cards. In fact, the heatsink is so good that it doesn't even need a fan. On top of that, it's not equipped with those VERY expensive (not to mention heavy) Zalman heatpipes.

Since the card, even with its heatsink attatched, is only a few ounces in weight, you don't have to worry about it damaging your motherboard. On top of all this, you will get an excellent price out if it. So go for it! You won't be sorry.

Re: GF2 MX 32MB

Originally posted by Handybuddy
I recommend the GF2 MX 32MB. It runs web pages pretty well, and it's a lot quieter than these new cards. In fact, the heatsink is so good that it doesn't even need a fan. On top of that, it's not equipped with those VERY expensive Zalman heatpipes.
Since the card, even with its heatsink attatched, is only a few ounces in weight, you don't have to worry about it damaging your motherboard. On top of all this, you will get an excellent price out if it. So go for it! You won't be sorry.

lol... nice funny :)

post edited for content...

funnies within limits m8... :)

poster asked for recommendations... one daft post is good enough :)

we do have a jokes section if you want to try your hand there..

- Sazar...

Re: GF2 MX 32MB

Originally posted by Handybuddy
I recommend the GF2 MX 32MB. It runs web pages pretty well, and it's a lot quieter than these new cards. In fact, the heatsink is so good that it doesn't even need a fan. On top of that, it's not equipped with those VERY expensive (not to mention heavy) Zalman heatpipes.

Cheers for the reply, i'll take the helpful information you've given onboard so when I do decide to go out and buy a graphics card I sure as hell don't end up with anything gash. With that information you've probably saved me hundreds of pounds mate...

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I came looking for some kind of serious help which I got, not the postings of some elitest goon...

Anyway, decided to go for http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9600.asp this in the end, does everything I want of it and at a price I can't moan at...

Re: Re: GF2 MX 32MB

Cheers for the reply, i'll take the helpful information you've given onboard so when I do decide to go out and buy a graphics card I sure as hell don't end up with anything gash. With that information you've probably saved me hundreds of pounds mate...

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I came looking for some kind of serious help which I got, not the postings of some elitest goon...

Anyway, decided to go for http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9600.asp this in the end, does everything I want of it and at a price I can't moan at...

yes... thats precisely why I edited his latter post... :)

I can tolerate one bufoonish post w/o help offered but 2 is off-putting...

btw.. thats a nice little board... I prefer the PRO version but that should oc nicely as well..

what price are you getting it at ? it looks like it should be a good deal :)

if i remember correctly, the 9600 has the same performance as the 9500 but is of a newer core or design and therefore is cheaper and/ore OC's better.

i don't keep up on ati technology. ;)

It's £96 including delivery, which will do me nicely as i'm not an avid games player, but do like to play occaisonlly...

It's £96 including delivery, which will do me nicely as i'm not an avid games player, but do like to play occaisonlly...

the 9600 has fewer pipelines ie 4x1 architecture instead of 8x1... but it runs with higher clocks... and uses newer and more efficient technology (not necesarily but rather more efficient :) )

it is cheaper to make though coz it has far fewer transistors taurus :)

anewhope.. congrats.. that price seems quite nice... enjoy the card...

Re: Re: New gfx card recommendations

Originally posted by Sazar
the 9600pro should be right around your price range... a nice card... nice 2d/3d and good dual monitor as well (dual 400mhz ramdacs... )

Seconded...

If you don't want that try the 9500pro, the GF4Ti series cards, maybe even the GF3's if you feel like it...

Re: Re: Re: New gfx card recommendations

Originally posted by black-syth
Seconded...

If you don't want that try the 9500pro, the GF4Ti series cards, maybe even the GF3's if you feel like it...

agreed.. the gf4ti series is still pretty good... the 4400 and 4600 are in 9500pro price territory and therefore not as good buys but the 4200 is a decent purchase and handles most of todays games adequately... and also happens to be reasonably cheap in comparison to other cards (price delta around 30-50 bucks... )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back