new fire extinguisher

FishBoy

Feeeesh
you have to see this it's really cool, it's a liquid that wont get anything wet, you can drop a cellphone, and LCD screen could be put inside it and nothing will get damaged, the liquid evaporates fast and doesn't conduct electricity. they are starting to use it as a fire extinguisher as it would put out fires so fast by taking out the heat, which is one of the stuff needed to make fire

Sapphire: A Liquid That Won't Get Things Wet

And this, folks, would classify as "extreme water cooling."

"Tuesday on Good Morning America, a representative from Tyco Fire & Security demonstrated an amazing new substance called Sapphire: a water-like fluid that does not get things wet. He filled a small fish tank with Sapphire and submerged a book, a laptop, and a flat panel TV. Both electronics were turned on when submerged; all three items came out completely unharmed...The official name for Sapphire is actually Novec 1230...Tyco sees practical applications of Sapphire in fire extinguisher systems for museums and libraries. By the same token of practicality, regular readers of Slashdot probably have something else in mind: total-immersion watercooling. Just think of the possibilities!" Source
and here's a picture of what it looks like
general_tyco485x450.jpg

maybe you've heard of that thing but i it's new for me and thought i'd share it just in case you didn't know :D

Almost a year old now, where you been?

Saw it on TechTV ages ago, they dropped a notebook in it, very spiffy stuff :)

SPeedY_B said:
Almost a year old now, where you been?

Saw it on TechTV ages ago, they dropped a notebook in it, very spiffy stuff :)
oh well still new to me :D

Just fill your case full of it and whack a fan to circulate the stuffround.. great idea, until you needed to change a piece of hardware :)

Moonwraith said:
Just fill your case full of it and whack a fan to circulate the stuffround.. great idea, until you needed to change a piece of hardware :)
haha great idea man i wanna try that

Heh, I think one of the funniest articles i read was about a bloke thatwater sealed his case - filled it with water then turned it on.. andblamed it on the fact that techies hadn't explained what water coolingwas - had pics and stuff...

Think it turned out to be a fake but was funny anyways :)

the reason this stuff was created was because most damage from fires is actually caused by the water the firemen use to put the fire out. so now when you put the fire out the things being saved inside from fire aren't destroyed by the water.

Tuffgong4 said:
the reason this stuff was created was because most damage from fires is actually caused by the water the firemen use to put the fire out. so now when you put the fire out the things being saved inside from fire aren't destroyed by the water.
yea that's what they said on tv and that thing is quicker than water too in stopping fires

what happens when u drink it haha... comes straight out! does anyone have a link to that vid?

me - I prefer Halon - but I have seen this stuff and it will no doubt have a use where you do not want to kill people.....

Actually, most damage from fires is caused by the smoke. Water damage is limited around the area where the flames are and some run off. The smoke ruins everything in the house, contaminates the insulation in the walls, discolors all the paint and generally can't be removed. I've worked on 30 year old houses when I was a slum lord and the evidence of smoke damage was still there and causing problems.

The second largest cause of damage from fires is the firemen. They smash out all the windows and cut holes in the roof and floors to let the smoke out.

Don't believe me? Smoke and the firemen did $80k dollars worth of damage to his house just because a scented candle set his boom box on fire in the basement. The only place that got wet was the concrete floor in the basement. He'd have come out better is he'd thrown gasoline on the fire instead of calling the fire department.

themafia_69 said:
what happens when u drink it haha... comes straight out! does anyone have a link to that vid?
if you drink it then you wont be the hottest person alive anymore

Mainframeguy said:
me - I prefer Halon - but I have seen this stuff and it will no doubt have a use where you do not want to kill people.....

Start a fire and wait 30 seconds.. thats how long it'd take the halon/inergen gas to extinguise any oxygen breathing stuff in the coreix server room :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back