New DVD Burner, which media to use????

A

ArcAngel

Hi all

I just got a Sony DRU-510A DVD everything drive.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this drive and the various media out there, just after some info for good compatable media.

Also wheres the cheapest place in the U.K. to get good discs.

Thanks

At the moment they ted to be +R and +RW or -R and -RW
Do you know which yours is...

Dual burners are also starting to appear.

Off topic: what's the difference between all these media types? I looked into a dvd burner once but got confused :p

On topic: http://www.ebuyer.com are a good place to buy blank media from :)

Hi EP, mine is a dual burner, it can burn -R, -RW, +R & +RW.
I’m just after a good cheap place that sells DVD media, and what is the most compatible brand (obviously Sony, but hard to find and dear) with my burner.

Speedy, the two types are –R/-RW & +R/+RW, there just two different formats for writing the disc, I think the + media is what home DVD players are, but don’t quote me on that. I got lost to, hence me buying a duel burner, can’t go wrong then, unless DVD-RAM takes off. :(

DVD-RAM isn't going to take off, it's more like nose down in the dirt. It was first, but never got too far. I wouldn't worry about it.

Then there's of course the DVD-R(W)/+R(W)/-RAM burners if you want to be sure. ;)

Eh? Sorry EP you lost me. If your asking if Zedric is right i'd have to go with his assumption and say yes. I know DVD-RAM can hold more data, 9.4GB I believe, as opposed to 4.7GB for DVD+R/RW. Also DVD-RAM comes with the disc in carts and the whole lot goes into the drive. I only brought up DVD-RAM in a earlier post as a joke. Confusing poor old SPeedY_B :D

Thats why I got the Sony duel format job, best of both worlds. :cool:

Ah, i'm with you now, they are very similer ids, would have confused me to as ppl sometimes call me that by mistake anyway.

and he only told me the name he used to signup, you are both from the uk and signed up very recently :)

Hey, i've been a member for over a year, think you had one to many stella's tonight EP :D

OK same month, but you were still a year out. But i'll let you off, this once mine.... :p

I was wondering if the original person has had any problems with this burner at all? I have been using Memorex 4x DVD-R's and all of sudden have been having problems. I use RecordNow the program that came with the burner, and Nero. I usualy get a error at the beginning or end of burning. When I try with my TDK DVD-RW I have no problems. Has anyone had different problams with different type of media? I am going to go pick up some TDK DVD-R's but wanted to know if anyone has some experience with different type of Media. Thanks!

I have been using Sony DVD- & +R/RW's, Verbatim DVD- & +R/RW's and Maxell DVD+RW's without any problems. I have more but not got round to trying them yet/needing to use them. I have been using Nero 6 to burn my discs. I have been updating my firmwire to, I think the latest is 1.0D, which is what im on.

Sony DRU-510A Support Page

Forgot to mention, I burn up to 4X (media permitting that is) without any probs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back