New Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Ooooh!
grin.gif

dell2405fp0yx.jpg

Just a repost from my blog:
First it was the 2001FP. Then came the 2005FPW and now, Engadget and Gizmodo have received word that a 24" 2405FPW is coming next month.

Obviously, the complete specs haven't been announced yet, but what is known is that it has the same resolution as Apple's 23" Cinema Display (1920x1200), and like the 2005FPW, a better response time (12ms). Also built into the display is a 4 port USB hub and a 9-in-1 memory card reader (the latter wasn't built into the 2005FPW).

And if you thought the $500 difference between the 2005FPW and the 20" ACD was big, think about this - Gizmodo reports that the 2405FPW will sell for $1,000 (not including rebates). That's a whopping $799 less than the 23" ACD. Yeah, and I'm sure there are still those who think the aluminium casing is worth that much. ;)

Re: The new Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW kills the Apple display

Yeah, wonder how much that thing will cost. I'd love to have an LCD that can do 1600x1200 with little ghosting if any noticeable ghosting at all. Then I'd replace my 19" CRT with it and actually have some desk space. I've elliminated my 17" CRT with a 19" LCD. That free'd up half of my desk. lol

Apparently, it's going for ~$1,199 initially in March. Of course, you can just tag on one of their online coupons on and get a much better deal. ;)
2005FPW owners didn't report any issues with ghosting...and since this one has the same response time (12ms), it shouldn't have a problem either.

Will await release of the 2405FPW in the UK. Extremely tempting I must say :)

Just had a thought, does anyone know what the viewing angle on these displays is like (more interested in the 2405FPW than anything really) as photo's I've seen of the 2005FPW show that horrid purple-effect when looked at from an angle you get with nastily cheap LCD panels.

I'm hoping this was just a camera 'trick' and when viewed in the flesh the displays can be viewed from almost any angle and produce a perfect image (as my apple cinema does currently).

From the specs, it seems like the 2005FPW had a viewing angle of +/- 90 degrees (horizontal and vertical), and it's the same with the 2405FPW.

Which would mean you can pretty much walk all the way round it, and the picture stays the same? (with the exception of from behind :p) right?

The only thing that looks that good all the way around is me

SPeedY_B said:
Which would mean you can pretty much walk all the way round it, and the picture stays the same? (with the exception of from behind :p) right?
Right. Apple uses a single figure to indicate the viewing angle (170 horizontal/vertical), which is a single sweep from the left side to the right side and top to bottom. Dell uses +/- angles (+/- 89 horizontal/vertical), which is 89 degrees to the left/right and top/bottom of the normal joining your eyes to the screen.

So if you put them in similar terms, it would be +/- 85 degrees for the ACD and +/- 89 for the 2005FPW/2405FPW or 170 degrees for the ACD and 178 degrees for the 2005FPW/2405FPW.

My 2001FP is viewable from every ngle I can put my head at except from behind at which point due to a bug in the rel life 3d rendering engine the screen promply disappears in a strange z-occlusion issue... however most people would callit the rear of the device :p

LordOfLA said:
My 2001FP is viewable from every ngle I can put my head at except from behind at which point due to a bug in the rel life 3d rendering engine the screen promply disappears in a strange z-occlusion issue... however most people would callit the rear of the device :p

Now that was funny!!! Thanks for the laugh!

Who wants to buy me one of these for my mini? :)

I'll be purchasing a 2405FPW when they're released in March (Just in time for my Birthday... top bombing!), maybe a bit later dependant on pricing. Can't wait :D

Ah, so that's what's replacing the 20" ACD then. Nice. :)
Make sure you share your thoughts about it with us when you end up getting it! I've seen the 2005FPW and the display was really sweet. Can't imagine how cool a 24" would be.

They have one like that at school, they just got em. They are for video production, they hung it up on the wall so that they can do "news casts" where there is video image displayed right off the speaker.

Really nice. I was playing Unreal 2k4 on it, using the Mac G5 which is hooked up to it. (Wireless mouse and keyboard really does own).

Since it is in the price range that i can afford, it would be really nice to get one for my Mac Mini once i get it.

wow that is an amazing display and for once i was thinking about buying the freakin APPLE CINEMA display but hey i already fgot a 19" Dell LCD maybe i might buy this one looks like its time for me to go find out where my potential hookups are at ;)

Dell 2405FPW

This thing needs it's own thread :D
dell2405fp0yx.jpg

• Native Resolution: 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA+) @ 60Hz2
  • Response Time (typical): 12ms grey-to-grey3, 16ms black-to-white
  • Contrast Ratio: 1,000:1
  • Brightness (typical): 500 cd/m²
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:10
  • Number of Colors: 16.7 Million
  • Horizontal/Vertical Viewing Angle (typical): +/-89 degrees
  • Lift distance: 3.5 inches
  • Tilt angle: -5 to +20 degrees
  • Swivel: 90 degrees (45 degrees left and right)
  • Memory Card Formats Supported: CompactFlash I/II, Secure Digital (SD), Mini SD, MultiMedia Card, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, IBM Microdrive
  • Inputs: Analog (VGA)/Digital (DVI)5/S-Video/Composite/Component
  • Dimensions (HxWxD): 21.5" x 22.0" x 9.0"
  • Weight: 29.1 lb.
The UltraSharp 2405FPW will be on sale for $1,199 in the Americas and Europe on March 1, 2005. The wide-screen monitor is ideal for graphics professionals, computing enthusiasts and gamers. The native resolution of 1920x12002 helps ensure detailed images are crisp and clear and typical response times of 12ms3 mean fast-moving content is displayed with minimal distortion.
icon1.gif
Press Release: Dell.com

Re: Dell 2405FPW

sigh i wish i could throw enough money together to get this hehe. but atlas rent comes first

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back