New CPU + MOBO, advice needed.

Helmer

Questions R me
Hey everyone,

In about a month I will be getting a nice portion of cash in tax return.

So I figure that it's time to upgrade my system, well some of it.

I now have:

AMD Athlon 1200Mhz
Soltek SL-DRV2 Mobo
Pixelview GeForce4 4200 128 MB gfx card
Bla bla bla

I figure that I'd better get a new mobo + processor + cooler, so anyone have any advice? I have a 350 W PSU, so I won't have to worry about that I think.

Looking for another AMD setup or are you going for an Intel this time?

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe memory also? Depending on what the old mobo uses of course.

the new bartons are nice...but intel just cut cpu prices...i just finished building my new comp...your vid card is still good, so look into a cpu, mobo, better heatsink, new ddr ram, and possible a new case to make it look pretty.

new mobos are nice, look for one with usb 2.0, possible SATA w/ raid. you don't have an 8x agp card so you don't need an 8x agp port. most of the newer ones have them anyway. i bought a soyo p4x400 dragon ultra platinum mobo and a p4 2.53 o/ced to 2.7 until i get some better cooling. the mobo has ultra/ata133, usb 2.0, 8x agp, nice for o/cing. i have corsair ddr400 pc3200 512mb, little more expensive but definitely worth it. just shop around for prices, you'll find something that catches your eye.

good luck, if you need advice, just let us know

Right! First of all.... You'll have to decide on what system you want, an Intel sys, or AMD. I myself prefer AMD, because i'm a game-fanatic, and AMD is just better for gaming i think...but that's just my opinion, also consider the fact what your demands will be, gaming, office, internet... and maybe some overclocking. Also take a look at your budget. What can you afford?

This is my advice on what system would be good for example for gaming:

Intel:
P4 2.4ghz
Gigabyte SinXP mobo (s-ata, raid, dual ddr, whole lot)
DDR 3200 256 mb (2 of em, cuz i think you wanna use the dual ddr option on the mobo)
Just use the standard cooler that comes with the proc, for overclocking get something like a zalman

AMD
AMD 2400+ or 2500+ the last one is a Barton with 512kb cache just like the P4's from Intel, i'd take the 2500+ if i were you, looking at the future (FSB @ 400 in stead of 333mhz)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Dual DDR S-ATA Soundstorm Dolby Digital, Firewire etc etc etc)
and again 2x 256mb DDR PC3200
Get a good cooler too, like zalman or something...

Just my 2 cents...

I'd recommend as possible trying to decide on "good" & " very good " brands ..

A good system :

CPU - INTEL 2.4
MEMORY - 256 or 512 DDR PC 2700
MOBO - ASUS

Originally posted by Helmer
I now have:

AMD Athlon 1200Mhz
Soltek SL-DRV2 Mobo
Pixelview GeForce4 4200 128 MB gfx card
Bla bla bla
well, before you go and blow lots of money, let's figure out what exactly you have. i couldn't find a SL-DRV2. the closest i found was a SL-75DRV5 (kt333)? if that's yours, then i think your board has quite a bit of life left in it. if that's not yours, then what chipset is it? and what type of memory do you have and how much?

if it is a good amount of cash then i would recomend a nforce mobo and a 2100+ and up chip from amd, that will make it be a sweet sytem

if he does decide to get a new board/cpu/memory, i would agree with an nforce2 mobo. but i would suggest springing for an xp2500+. with the 333fsb, he could run pc2700 synchronously and get more performance from it. plus a barton would run nice and cool at it's 1.83ghz.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back