New CPU = Black Screen? Help the noob pls

iNs

OSNN Junior Addict
Today I purchased intel C2Duo E8500, motherboard I have is Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3/S3. When I put the CPU into the socket and turn the computer on nothing appears on my screen. This is strange to me since if the mobo didnt support the CPU a msg saying that would appear? Maybe I was wrong.

Now I ended up putting my old cpu back in and everything is fine. Can anyone confirm that it is the motherboard thats causing the problem??

Thanks in advance.

It is the Mobo. I would RMA it. When you have the CPU seated right (and it is compatible?) it should boot up.

Ya, I agree with Carpo. Most times with a CPU upgrade if you get a black screen it is either the bios does not know what the CPU is and how to set the timing for it or the CPU is hosed.

I am sorry, I read the first post wrong - DOH!

I agree that there might be something wrong with the cpu itself or it is the bios, or both.

Thanks for replies guys. The gigabyte website says that the mobo i got wont support e8600 even if i update the bios, so Ill just end up upgrading the mobo as well.

Thanks for replies guys. The gigabyte website says that the mobo i got wont support e8600 even if i update the bios, so Ill just end up upgrading the mobo as well.

Make sure you get one that is compatible with the CPU. Otherwise, you will go through the same thing again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back