• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New CPU = Black Screen? Help the noob pls

iNs

OSNN Junior Addict
Today I purchased intel C2Duo E8500, motherboard I have is Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3/S3. When I put the CPU into the socket and turn the computer on nothing appears on my screen. This is strange to me since if the mobo didnt support the CPU a msg saying that would appear? Maybe I was wrong.

Now I ended up putting my old cpu back in and everything is fine. Can anyone confirm that it is the motherboard thats causing the problem??

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
It is the Mobo. I would RMA it. When you have the CPU seated right (and it is compatible?) it should boot up.

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Ya, I agree with Carpo. Most times with a CPU upgrade if you get a black screen it is either the bios does not know what the CPU is and how to set the timing for it or the CPU is hosed.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
I am sorry, I read the first post wrong - DOH!

I agree that there might be something wrong with the cpu itself or it is the bios, or both.

iNs

OSNN Junior Addict
Thanks for replies guys. The gigabyte website says that the mobo i got wont support e8600 even if i update the bios, so Ill just end up upgrading the mobo as well.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
Thanks for replies guys. The gigabyte website says that the mobo i got wont support e8600 even if i update the bios, so Ill just end up upgrading the mobo as well.
Make sure you get one that is compatible with the CPU. Otherwise, you will go through the same thing again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies