New compy specs.

Steevo

Spammer representing.
Political Access
OK, so I have finally convinced them here at work that they need to replace the last POS 98' antique PC.

They are willing to buy my current PC (tower) with XP Pro installed and restaged to run as the server for our other location. $1700ish...

I am putting togeather specs for a new PC for me.

2) Lite-on drives. 52X CD-ROM, R, 16XDVD-ROM. Dual Layer DVD Drive.
2) Maxtor 300Gb DM10 SATA Drives (will be raided)
Asus A8N-E Socket 939 Motherboard (RAID CAPABLE, Optical SPDIF, two IDE, etc...)
AMD Athalon64 939 3700+ San Diego retail w/ HS/F
2Gb OCZ Platinum Series 2,3,2,5 PC3200 400DDR (two 1Gb sticks)
Sapphire X850XT PCIe 256Mb GDDR3
Antec Performance TX640B w/ 400W PS, Mini Tower Case

Any improvements? Any problems?

I don't know if I will need to get a better HS/F with a 64 since I intend on OC'ing it.

This should come togeather in the next couple of months.

Looks like you might want to get a bigger psu, that seems like it would be wee bit low, I would go with a 500+, they arent all that expensive though, you picked a good brand though :)

Might also consider how much heat etc that your new system will create inside the case.

Why not get a DVD/cd burner as they aren't too much more. The Wal-Mart here sells a Lite-on DVD burner that also burns cd's for like 80 USD

newegg.com has the nec's for around 65 dollars last time i checked and that was long time ago

Sorry about being unclear, by Dual Layer I meant a dual layer burner. And a high speed 52X CD-R with DVD capability.

I was wondering about the size of the case, but the card vents outside, and it has two side vents, one wiht a fan.

I agree on the PSU size, I wanted one with 520 or more as I am running that now and it doesn't ahve to work very hard to keep up. The other optionis a full on server case by Antec. Bigger PSU and much larger case. I would have to buy a new desk though. Then again the woman needs a desk soooooooo....

ah ok. I didn't read that way. You might also check into thermaltake cases though the few I looked at only have a 400watt PSU though I know they make ones larger then that.

Though a bigger desk would cure help reduce the size of case you can get

Consider getting a 7800GT instead and consider going with an SLi-able board to allow you to upgrade in the future if you are into graphics related stuff.

I would also go for mid-size or larger case. I am not a big fan of tiny cases myself unless, again, this is something you need.

i dont think 2 gigs of ram is necessary. You will see no improvement over 1 gig unless you are doing video editing or other tasks like that.

i noticed a diff with 2 gig sof ram over 1 in battlefeild 2 but not a large diffrence. I just like saying i have 2 gigs. hehe

I do some video, and some audio.

Sazar said:
Consider getting a 7800GT instead and consider going with an SLi-able board to allow you to upgrade in the future if you are into graphics related stuff.

I would also go for mid-size or larger case. I am not a big fan of tiny cases myself unless, again, this is something you need.

I am a ATI man. No, I don't want to argue the strong and weak points on both.

So far as SLI, I looked at it, and at the new crossfire stuff. By the time I have a need for that I will be selling this anyway, and there will be better and faster out.

I don't want ultra top of the line stuff, just fast enough to keep up, and my current system is quick, but not quick enough anymore. I have been upgrading systems about every 9 months to a year. And never top of the line stuff either. Too expensive.

Just a warning on Antec power supplies--I've had one go boom on me, also a friend of mine had the same problem. It could have just been bad luck, but I'd be wary.

I'm a big ATI guy myself (hoping for them to pull ahead again in the next round after whooping NVidia for three straight years), but the numbers are great for the 7800 GT. And the prices aren't that far apart, either; if you can get a better video card for a similar price, I'd run with it. I root for my favorite sports teams even when they aren't the best, but I won't give similary loyalty to a chip-making corporation.

Last edited:
ATi vs nVidia is much like AMD vs Intel debate both are good and bad in any given area but go with the one that you think is the best value for your money.

I have had good luck with Antec stuff and Thermaltake stuff so I recommend those but also know that not everybody has the same luck etc, I do.

I would recommend any nVidia graphics card.
I would recommend Intel cpu's
I would recommend Asus or Intel motherboards but if Asus try to get a Intel chipset.
I would recommend Thermaltake or Antec cases and power supply's

Again whatever you feel is the best value for your use and money is what you should get

Uhm, why RAID? Are you going to raid them in 1 or 5? If you are just going to mirrot them, then do it for the right reasons. You won't get any more performance out of the drives than if you don't.

RAID 0 array. There has been a performance increase for me, in editing, and in load times for gaming. Plus I want-need the 600Gb that it offers with two disks.

I am not worried about a drive failing, as I thourghly test a system before I put it into use. Even if a drive fails and I loose everything usally I have a somewhat recent backup.

I wish I could get a RAID 5 array, without using a card, and that involved at least 4 drives. But I have found no boards that support such with other features that I want.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back