New Computer: Slow Performance

Wattage, Yes = but if you are willing to spend that type of money, order online and get a name brand.

Go with Antec, Enermax, or Coolermaster. Those are the three solid brands that I have stuck with and had great results.

Good choice on both accounts :)

Thing to keep in mind though - if you open your case to perform this surgery your manufacturer warranty is voided. If you are VERY, and I mean VERY careful, you could save your old pieces and put them back in if you ever need anything for warranty. Shouldn't be much of an issue, but sometimes they really put your stones to the wall over stuff like that.

Just remembered it was onboard video, so be sure to keep all the old PSU stuff and the PCI slot cover to fill the hole back up again.

yah im careful. and i understand about the warranty. i know how to build computers just i haven't been on the "scene" since 2000. so i have no clue what all the new hardware does. thank you all for the help.

Just wanted to make sure you knew your warranty would get voided.

Good luck with your purchase(s), hope it works out well for you :)

Re: i am a little upset.

Shamus MacNoob said:
Thats strange we have a 6800gt that runs anything with AA and AF on , maybe you lack the CPU , RAM to enchance your videocard.
Yeah. I have my Winchester 3000+ overclocked to 2.0Ghz but it still has hardly any umph at all. I know it is time to upgrade, but I would drop $300 on a X2 3800+ an overclock if anything. Think that would be adequate? RAM is 2x512 CMS3200 DDR400 (corsair)

That power supply is too wimpy. Not enough +12V. You can do better for the money.
Output +3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@14A, +12V2@15A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2A
You need 17 or 18A on the +12V rails.

Better choice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931
+3.3V@32A, +5V@40A, +12V1@19A, +12V2@19A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2A

The 1600 PRO video card is a poor choice. It is 1/5 the performance of a top end card. And at the Best Buy price of $250 it's twice what you should pay for it. I just looked through the Best Buy website and their cards are all way over priced.

Are there any other stores near you that carry computer equipment? I prefer shopping locally on more expensive items like video cards. The return and exchange policies are better and less hassle.

You can get an X800XL or 7600GT at newegg for under $180 and they are 3 times faster than the 1600 Pro. The X850XT is 4 times faster and goes for around $190.

A faster processor won't make any noticeable difference in your game performance. And the integrated graphics you have now is even slowing down your surfing and desktop performance.

Last edited:
yea im getting the Geforce 7600GT off newegg. great card for the price. i mean the games i care about run good now. but i want a little better so that will be perfect for me. and i read pages. for that card it says i need atleast 350 watts. would i beable to get a 400W power supply and be good for that card? or should i go with the 500W one? and should i go for the one leejend suggested? i have no clue about the psu thing heh.

If your card wants 350 you are best to go for 500 for your overall system.

It won't achieve the entire 350 the whole time, or rarely ever, but it's good to have a safety net. I try to build with at least 15% extra wattage above all ceilings of hardware.

What Kyn said. A decent PSU requires dual 12V rails now. The dual 12V rail power supplies all cost within $20 of the one I posted. Not worth limiting yourself to 400W to save $20.

BTW you never posted the ratings on your present PSU.

does any power supply i buy fit? size wise.. and voltage wise or whatever.. or do i need to open it again and check all the specs before i can get another one.. cause im getting one next weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back