New computer build - PSU question

I was lucky with no name PSU's too. When the last one I bought caught fire inside the PC case it did not burn the house down. ;)
Well guys, an update. The Power Supply works and everything in that aspect is all good for now. However I can't use my computer right now...
Apparently the motherboard requires the p4 connector to be plugged in at all times (I thought the 20+4 pin connector would be all I needed since I'm running an external GPU, however, I was wrong, and I need the p4 connector plugged in as well. Unfortunately because Antec is stupid and mounts the PSU on the bottom of the case, and because the new 5770 is so dang wide, I must wait for a p4 extension cord to arrive before I can use my computer... Unless anybody knows a store that sells the cable? Anyways, just thought I'd update y'all

by p4 connector, you mean the little square 4-pin plug? Yeah... that's basically the 12v power connection for the CPU and possibly a few other little things IIRC. Kinda important. haha.

by p4 connector, you mean the little square 4-pin plug? Yeah... that's basically the 12v power connection for the CPU and possibly a few other little things IIRC. Kinda important. haha.
I didn't think it needed it, I coulda have sworn my old ASUS board didn't have a separate 4 pin connector but whatever. Im just mad at Antec for the bottom mounted PSU...
Oh well.

I'm sure you could find one at Micro Center in Cambridge.
Oh I know I could, unfortunately I am in SC for a lil bit. lol Ain't nothing around here. Man I can't even see Avatar Special Edition because nowhere in the surrounding 200 miles is showing it. :(

I'm actually quite fond of the bottom mount from an airflow perspective. don't have all the wires hanging down in front of the CPU fan blocking airflow.... plus you can generally make the wires look a bit nicer, i think. Even better when the PSU has it's own separate ventilation through the bottom of the case.... then it doesn't even bother with the warm air of the case.... thus not wearing out as fast.

Although yes... i will agree it can be quite a pain for some of the connectors.

I'm actually quite fond of the bottom mount from an airflow perspective. don't have all the wires hanging down in front of the CPU fan blocking airflow.... plus you can generally make the wires look a bit nicer, i think. Even better when the PSU has it's own separate ventilation through the bottom of the case.... then it doesn't even bother with the warm air of the case.... thus not wearing out as fast.

Although yes... i will agree it can be quite a pain for some of the connectors.
I agree that its better for cable management (also my micro atx board helps with that) I just wish that I had remembered about the p4 connector, I just assumed that it was to power the onboard graphics of the motherboard, but it makes sense (I looked at my old Asus A8N-E and its the same deal, without the onboard gfx)
Oh well, this pc has taken me like 2 weeks to fully complete, due to waiting on parts. whats a few more days :(

I bought an ATI sticker (because I think the Sapphire sticker is ugly), so I guess the computer isn't really complete until that arrives and i stick it on anyways :D

If you have a store try Radio shack. They have some computer power cale adapters and extenders.

The PCI-e slots can't get enough power all the way from the 24 pin socket for the 100-200W video cards so they added an extra PCI-e slot power connector next to the video cards. Some MB's will work without it plugged in, somewill not boot without it.

I'll have to see if that is mentioned on the power supply sticky.

If you have a store try Radio shack. They have some computer power cale adapters and extenders.

The PCI-e slots can't get enough power all the way from the 24 pin socket for the 100-200W video cards so they added an extra PCI-e slot power connector next to the video cards. Some MB's will work without it plugged in, somewill not boot without it.

I'll have to see if that is mentioned on the power supply sticky.
Well, got the extender, and everything works great. Hopefully it will continue to work well like this, bumped my WEI up to everything at 7.4 or greater except for the old SATA II HDD at a wopping 5.9, ha :)

As for the connector thing, I thought since the card was externally powered it wouldn't require that P4 connector but oh well, everything is all cool now. And funny thing. With the new GPU my memory score went up, was a 5.4 when the board was using its onboard video, and then when I put the video card in it jumped to a 7.5, Im assuming because the onboard video was stealing from it?

yea.... on-board video shares system memory.
I figured... This is the first time I had ever built a desktop with Onboard graphics so its kinda new to me. I was just surprised that the WEI was affected so much!

Just thought I'd give an update. Been running this PSU (The Pixxo) for a couple weeks now, added 4 more gigs of ram, and two more SATA Hard Drives. The Powersupply runs like a champ so far. Can handle heavy load of games of encoding, and what I'm surprised about is that on the crappy overloaded circuit my PC is on that it hasn't experienced any fluctuations or anything (although I guess it is plugged into a surge protector). I'll keep you guys posted if anything bad happens but for now, this $40 dollar Pixxo is working great.

Not that it's super important, but I figure I might as well update again. I switched out the Pixxo (though it never quit working) for a PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK II 950w when I decided to add a 2nd 5770 to the rig (as well as changing my motherboard and adding more ram).
-Vanq

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back