New computer BSOD

Everlong

Scotland's Greatest
Political Access
Hello again,

Recently I have built a new computer that I will be using to replace my laptop. Got everything spinning and such yet when I try to boot Windows 7 I cannot get past the "Starting Windows" as it goes to BSOD - which I cannot see because of auto-restart on system failure I am assuming (?).
The components are:
Asus P67 Sabertooth (1155)
i5 2500K 3.30GHz (1155)
8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
2x Samsung 500GB (One of which is the boot drive)
Older graphics card which I do not know the name of (awaiting the arrival of my new one)

I have attempted to boot into safe mode but I get the same result as above. I am assuming this is a hardware fault rather than a software/driver error but I would just like some confirmation or how to stop the auto-restart without booting into Windows because that isn't possible.

Thanks,
Everlong

Try booting with just one stick of ram.

Removed both DIMMs and reinstalled just one into A2 on my motherboard. Same error and I tried with both DIMMs with no success.
Furthermore, the POST state LEDs on the motherboard do not highlight any fault at all which makes me suspicious.

EDIT: Booted in with Arch Linux and everything worked fine. Guess it's down to Windows then?

Last edited:
What is the error number it gives you?

What is the error number it gives you?

I can't see the exact BSOD because it is only on my screen for a second. I believe this is because auto-restart on failure but can't seem to disable it.

Can you boot into safe mode and turn off the auto-restart?
There is also often an option when you hit the "F8" to get the menu to choose safe mode to disable the auto restart before actually starting windows..

Can you boot into safe mode and turn off the auto-restart?
There is also often an option when you hit the "F8" to get the menu to choose safe mode to disable the auto restart before actually starting windows..

Ah that worked. The BSOD error is:
STOP: 0x0000007B

That option is in the BIOS, not in Windows.

If you install Windows when AHCI was selected and it gets changed to IDE mode then Windows will fail to boot and vica versa.

It has to do with SATA mode. AHCI is a better mode and yes a reinstall would fix it if that is the problem however changing the mode back would also fix the issue without having to reinstall.

That is it working now, thanks for all the replies - appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back