New Company Idea

N

Not Bman

Let me ask you guys (even though if it is good, you can probably steal it)

We have places like Steam & Direct2Drive, which allows you to pay for a download of a game and you receive a key for it. I was thinking there should be a company that first off has all the games that are released (easier said then done). The main thing that I want, is a place where I can buy the game and get a download and key right away, but I also enjoy and want the box and artwork and all that. With all the direct download places you only get the download.

Is this possible? How hard do you think it would be to start up a company like this? If not me, someone else.

Good idea? Bad Idea? Let me know.

first off has all the games that are released (easier said then done)

not as hard as you think ;) - they do the download thing as its cheaper for them to do this, if they have to send out the game as well you can look at it as they are paying twice - bandwidth for the download and posting of the game in the box

I figured that, but there must be a way to do it at not extreme costs. If the industry worked together it is possible, yet that probably won't happen.

you actually didnt make a claim or reference what the company would do... I assume it would be to send out an empty box for the game?

I dont think that would be a profitable company.

No, the company would give the download and the key, and would also send the full retail boxed game if the person wants it. (not with a key) This would also probably make the game cost a bit more to get the box as well. Obviously this is hard to do, but I think it's a good idea, and there has to be a way to do it.

goes back to the point i made they would have to pay 2x for the game - its cheaper for them to do the download thats why they do it, unless you had a deal with the game publisher whereby you could get the game at cost for the hard copy

but then you take a step back from the purpose of a digital download. I understand from a box-collectors point of view, but not from a business stance.

No, that is my point, there is no business stance to this. I am not saying I would be the one to do this, I am just saying I think it would be a good idea.

The boxed version should be an option, say if it was Steam to do it. You get the download like normal, but on purchase you could check or uncheck send boxed contents as well.

I know it's more expensive, but I think it would be a great thing 2 do for the gaming community. Direct downloads should be 50% cheaper, and if they were this would work. Then when you choose to send the boxed items as well it would cost normal price.

Let me ask you guys (even though if it is good, you can probably steal it)

We have places like Steam & Direct2Drive, which allows you to pay for a download of a game and you receive a key for it. I was thinking there should be a company that first off has all the games that are released (easier said then done). The main thing that I want, is a place where I can buy the game and get a download and key right away, but I also enjoy and want the box and artwork and all that. With all the direct download places you only get the download.

Is this possible? How hard do you think it would be to start up a company like this? If not me, someone else.

Good idea? Bad Idea? Let me know.

Steam has the download portion covered so I would not consider competing against them at this point.

Regarding the other portion, it's a little more complicated than just providing a box and artwork.

The reason Steam was created was because Valve did not want to have to answer to the whims of publishers who can call the shots on content, advertising and release dates. If you get into distribution YOU have to deal with those publishers and provide them with their cut as well as the devs.

It could get complicated, which is why most places prefer doing downloads. Rental is a different story, but most certainly, you would need to take everything into account before you get this company off the ground.

if you have to pay for the d/l bw and the cost of the game on cd/dvd and postage - you can see where the cost comes from, if the costomer is willing to pay for the two options it could work, but into days climate people want things for as cheap as they can get them

Steam games don't even have keys. It doesn't need it since games are tied to your account. Having all games in one place is going to be pretty hard with all the different developers and publishers wanting it their way. Best bet, elect me lifetime dictator of the world and I'll set the industry straight.

u can box ur steam backups and get the game's cover on some websites ;)

Steam games don't even have keys. It doesn't need it since games are tied to your account. Having all games in one place is going to be pretty hard with all the different developers and publishers wanting it their way. Best bet, elect me lifetime dictator of the world and I'll set the industry straight.

They have keys but it's embedded.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back