New CDRW drive

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
I am looking to get a new CDRW drive soon. I have had Plextors in the past and am very satisfied with them. They did cost a little bit more than other companies' drives, but I don't mid paying extra for quality and reliability.

I DO NOT want Pacific Digital because they feel clunky and have had a bad experience with them.

CompUSA is the only place I can find locally that has Plextors, but we all know that their prices are a bit inflated (they want $179 for a 40/12/40 drive). So, what is an alternative hi-quality brand?

I bought a Memorex 52x24x52 @ compusa for $99 ($79 after mail in rebate) and imho it is top notch. Of course I went to JB Tech a day or 2 later and they had the same one for $70 as well as a Plextor 48x24x48 for $10 more.

ive got a very nice liteon 32x25x40 cdr-rw drive it does everything i can think of havnt made a coaster yet.

Had a LiteOn for 2 years and no problems with its still running strong

and on my new puter I have a 48x16x48 optorite and am very satisfied with that also
:happy:

Liteon 32X works great never a coaster unless i do something moronic :)

Liteon seems to be a majority here. I just checked Newegg.com and saw the 48x24x48 for about $53. That seems a bit low priced. I believe in the phrase: You get what you pay for. But reading the posts here and the reviews at newegg, this brand seems to be pretty good. I guess for under $60, I can't really go wrong. Sure beats Plextor's price! I wonder why they charge so much when there's so much competition out there?

I have had one problem with one of three Mitsumi drives:
- been using a 4804 for 2 years and counting :)
- had a 4805 replaced :mad: (died after about 4 months)
- have had no problems with a 4809 (8 months and counting) :)

The 4804 came in an HP machine, the 4805 was purchased as an OEM for about $56 (US) and the 4809 was purchased brown-boxed (OEM but with cables and Nero 5) for about $89 (US).

Liteon you get more bang for the buck for sure and they are really a highly touted brand for CDR-CDRW drives.

I've always purchased Plextor and that is the only brand I buy regardless of money and have never had any problems with Plextor.

You can purchase Plextor directly from Plextor instead of through resellers.

I purchased two Plextor 48/24/48 drives and they are working fine as usual... Only took 3 business days to recieve them.

Lite on drives are nice.

I had nothing but trouble with Memorex, I think they are trash.

Plextor or TDK, I would go with that. Or liteon. :)

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Liteon seems to be a majority here. I just checked Newegg.com and saw the 48x24x48 for about $53. That seems a bit low priced. I believe in the phrase: You get what you pay for. But reading the posts here and the reviews at newegg, this brand seems to be pretty good. I guess for under $60, I can't really go wrong. Sure beats Plextor's price! I wonder why they charge so much when there's so much competition out there?

They (Plextor) are still riding on the name of the product. Peps know it was the best out there at one time.

Why Plextor

It's just not riding the name!!!
Here's the Low Down!
I bought a Plextor 401240A
I can play/record those disks in MT Rainer Format.
Also, you can play/record those music CD's that only work on normal new CD players.
On another note in Clone CD I read/write faster then my dads
48X16X48X by Light-on.
So I don't recommend saying "Riding on the name":cool:

Checking out your writer by using Clone CD's list wich is quit comprehensive. If your writer gets two marks in both catagories and you go to their site and people like the drive then GO for IT.

http://www.elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/writers/a.html

I always recommend doing the research. If you want to do more then copying/recording most music. I'd have to recommend Plextor, or any drive that get's 2 marks in both catagories on elby's CloneCD site!

I've got a 32x lite-on, had no problems with it at all. I recommend to all my friends that they buy lite-on and they did, no problems from any of them either.

Thanks everyone for their input. It looks like I'll be switching to Lite-on despite my leanings toward Plextor. The price difference for the performance is just too great to ignore. Even if Plextor does perform a bit better at the same speed, it will still be better than I have.

Looks like I'll be going for the Lite-on 52246S (52x 24x 52x) at Newegg for $60.

Thanks again! Not only is this forum helpful, it's also a buyer's guide! :happy:

I got my shipment in from Newegg the other day and am quite satisfied with the LiteOn 52/24/52 burner. It doesn't feel cheap and is not "clunky" some other drives I've used. It is substantially faster than my old 12/10/32 Plextor drive too.

I am really happy with just about everything else I got as well. The new Corsair XMS memory (the matched low latency pair BTW) added quite a bit of zippyness to the system now. I can score 1500 points higher on 3dmark (I know it's not a great judge of performance, but I was looking at the score relative to my previous score). The SLK800 HS and YSTech fan works much better than my old Volcano7+ and is MUCH quieter.

Although, I am NOT too happy with my WD 120G drive. I booted up yesterday and the BIOS no longer detects it. And I've tried all tricks I can think of (repl cables, checking power, changing IDE ports, changing master/slave settings, even trying a different IDE controller). I specifically got it for its speed (the 8MB cache version) and it didn't even perform as good as my older Maxtor 80G drive. The part that really sucks is that I was using it as my backup & images drive and had just finished setting it all up about 4 days ago. :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back