new cd-rom not reading....

T

Tecnomuzik

Hello. I'm working with a new system I just built and at first I used an old acer 24x cd-rom, but then when I would put cds in the cd-rom, xp would ask me to put a disc in the cd-rom when there was a disc in there!, so last night i bought a new cd-rom (56x) and it worked for a couple of installs, but now this cd-rom is doing the exact same! Are they both bad cd-rom's or is there something screwed up on my system? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

since u told that u were able to read from ur new cd-rom (for a while)...i am assuming that u have connect those correctly...

did u try doing the old fasion way...by adding the driver in config.sys and autoexec.bat?

in config
device=c:\xxxxxxxx.sys /D:mscd001

in autoexec
c:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001

Hey, join the club. I have been working on this one for a while. Sorry to hear it is happening on newer drives but it helps to trouble shoot. It is a mystery I have the exact same problem, however I have no problem what so ever in burning. Easy CD can see what is in the drive, etc. But the label does not get updated in My Computer, double click on the drive "please insert disk", autoplay doesn't work. I have tried it with the secondary IDE ports master/slave, an Ultra 100ATA promise card, rolled back drivers (although this test wasn't conclusive it did work a couple of times), I have the Intel accelerator v2.0 and the new 4.7 ASPI layer.

One thing I did discover in the EVENT log, the drive showed at least 100 errors on a "paging error" EVENT 51. The M/S knowleadge base was no help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back